Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hull + Phil Brown

• 05-10-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

3rd in the league! 14 points!

Amazingly, 4 of the games have come away from home, with 3 wins and a draw away. Beating Arsenal and Spurs as well.
    With any luck, they'll be able to get safe enough to stay, but they've already done a huge huge chunk of that.

What I relaly like is that Phil Brown seems like such a bloody nice guy, down-to-earth manager just putting in the work and seeing the rewards. Great to see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote:
    3rd in the league! 14 points!

Amazingly, 4 of the games have come away from home, with 3 wins and a draw away. Beating Arsenal and Spurs as well.
    With any luck, they'll be able to get safe enough to stay, but they've already done a huge huge chunk of that.

What I relaly like is that Phil Brown seems like such a bloody nice guy, down-to-earth manager just putting in the work and seeing the rewards. Great to see.

I'd be surprised at this point if they went down. Really have been so impressive, and what a buy Giovanni has proven to be! Its great that they have that little bit of skill and magic to go along with the work ethic. I dont think this level of performance will keep up for too much longer, but i could see them getting 50points over the course of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I don't see where they will score goals from, once Giovanni stops scoring these crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Fair play to them, they have certainly surprised me, nice to see an English manager doing well, wheteher they will stay up or not,a long way to go, but every point they are picking up at the moment is a real bonus.

Well i thought they were gonna be relegation fodder once they didnt get campbell in and didnt seem to fill that position but what a great job Brown has done there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

fantastic start to the season and they have done with some nice football too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would love to see them staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fair played to them. You can't but admire that they have achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Premiership is no place for a team like Hull.

Talk about a lack of glamour ffs.

couldnt give a toss about them at the start of the season but when i heard brown signed mcshane, i knew i'd be looking out for their result each week...

Hull is actually quite a big town with a population of about a 1/4 million people.I no what you mean about a lack of glamour but they are there on there own merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Des wrote: »

what the premiership needs imo are teams which, on their day, can realistically get a result against any other team in the league. And Hull have certainly shown they can do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hull is actually quite a big town with a population of about a 1/4 million people.I no what you mean about a lack of glamour but they are there on there own merit.

City ;) and before the start of this season they were the only city based team never to play in the top tier of English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Great to see them doing well, and not bending over like Derby. However, I find Phil Brown to be quite detestable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hull are the new Wigan 2005/06 and like Wigwam I bet thier points return will hit the buffers mid season but already having done enough to avoid the drop.

Mike

just reading about hull there, the largest ethnic group consists of the 749 chinese people in the city.

just reading about hull there, the largest ethnic group consists of the 749 chinese people in the city.

Thats a very precise number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great achievement for them so far, well done.

i wonder do any of the chinese attend games?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i haveit on good authority that 27 chinese people attend each match, they have a lottery system to allocate tickets.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm fairly sure they're outnumbered by whites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

PHB wrote: »

What I relaly like is that Phil Brown seems like such a bloody nice guy, down-to-earth manager

+1
    Great Guy, taken a liking to Hull this season. Even if they did beat us at the Emirates....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nope, as said Hull is one of the larger cities in England and they deserve a Premiership team as much as anyone. So well done to them and I hope they stay up.

In fact during the Championship playoffs last year, there was a statistic that Hull was the largest city never to be represented in the top Division.
    Bristol is currently the biggest city without a Premiership team but one of their teams, Rovers or City did play in Division 1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Don't worry, I'm sure at least two people didn't take that at face value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

micmclo wrote: »
    Nope, as said Hull is one of the larger cities in England and they deserve a Premiership team as much as anyone. So well done to them and I hope they stay up.

In fact during the Championship playoffs last year, there was a statistic that Hull was the largest city never to be represented in the top Division.
    Bristol is currently the biggest city without a Premiership team but one of their teams, Rovers or City did play in Division 1

Bristol City were in the first division in the late 1970s. Came 13th in 1978-79.
    By late 1982 they were bottom of division four. :eek:

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Bristol City were in the first division in the late 1970s. Came 13th in 1978-79.
    By late 1982 they were bottom of division four. :eek:

He said...

Bristol is currently the biggest city without a Premiership team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Dub13 wrote: »
    He said...

Bristol is currently the biggest city without a Premiership team.

I know.

He also said
    wrote:
    but one of their teams, Rovers or City did play in Division 1

I was adding some background information to City's division 1 experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

However, I find Phil Brown to be quite detestable.
    Why, what did he do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed, spill Charlie. Spill.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

hull know they need another striker. they tried to get campbell last day of transfer window. What they doing is building a rep for themselves, hopefully they will get a decent striker in jan and go on to do really well.

Great achievement for them, they deserve some plaudits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think the majority of the credit must go to McShane. It's no coincidence that Hull are undefeated since he joined. I confidently predict in time that he will become the greatest player to have ever graced the game.

Advertisement