Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can only afford one. Which one to buy ? (PS3 or WiiU)

Options
  • 17-12-2012 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

So my PS3 has YLOD. I was thinking I could pick up another one but also would love a WiiU.

Thing is, I have a decent collection of games (both digital and on disc) and my daughter(6) has been playing the PS3 allot lately. A wiiU though with nintendoland would be a great dad and daughter game, not to mention how cool it'd be to have a new console :)

Not sure what to do. My ps3 games could wait I guess if I go for a WiiU now and wait til later to pick up the ps3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

brianon wrote: »
    Not sure what to do. My ps3 games could wait I guess if I go for a WiiU now and wait til later to pick up the ps3.

Having a nice new Wii U under the tree might be good but you could always wait on it too.

If my PS3 broke I would replace it and wait for a wii U which will be cheaper and have more games for it later anyway.

You have a broken PS3, if you take the HDD out of it and buy a €10 euro mount it can be used on the new and very very cheap 12GB super slim which was going on amazon for €160 as well as a few other online shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

buy the WiiU now and pick up a 2nd hand ps3 when you have had enough of Mickey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's never a point to buy a console for the first 6-12 months after launch IMHO.

Get another PS3; your daughter is better off playing what she's used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Dammit. Why can't you all give me the same advice ? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If she's already playing on the PS3 I'd get a new one; it's cheaper as you got the games already and gives the WiiU more time to get a decent libary out but more importantly it also buys time for a better deal to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Nody wrote: »
    If she's already playing on the PS3 I'd get a new one; it's cheaper as you got the games already and gives the WiiU more time to get a decent libary out but more importantly it also buys time for a better deal to come out.

You guys are making sense... And I don't like it :)

Probably right about wiiu. Give it some time to mature. I have blu-rays also that are no good without ps3 also.

Thanks guys. Might post in ps3 forums. I've a 250g hdd in my ps3. Hopefully I can get a new ps3 and just put that straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Hopefully I can get a new ps3 and just put that straight in.

While you will be able to use the same HDD again in the new PS3 [hence you should get the cheapest PS3 you can], the HDD will need to be formatted to work.

Once you sign into your PSN account though, you can re-download all of your old games again. If you had PS+ and cloud saving turned on, you can also re-download those game saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

buy her a PC!!! :pac: i am just joking! :p

You better off buying PS3 and just a few points why:

*you already got games for it, so you got invested in to that platform. buying a brand new platform now would not make sense.
    *PRICE. you will need around 450eu to buy wii u and one extra game. its overpriced as **** due to it being new. you are way better off buying ps3 for under 200eu and then spending 250eu on games or buying nintendo 3ds XL for her.
    *wii u is still to young of a platform. just wait and see. save yourself some money. so far there are not that many games on it and who knows what xbox and sont has under the sleeve.
    *i want wii u too. i am ressisting to buy it as i am weak for any new shiny things, but you got to be strong for your own good. ;)

Thanks guys. Might post in ps3 forums. I've a 250g hdd in my ps3. Hopefully I can get a new ps3 and just put that straight in.

You'll lose what on it but any games that have been bought can be downloaded again.

You also need a €10 mount to put a HDD in the new super slim if you get the cheap one, which is €160 online.

• Advertisement

buy her a PC!!! :pac: i am just joking! :p

You better off buying PS3 and just a few points why:

*you already got games for it, so you got invested in to that platform. buying a brand new platform now would not make sense.
    *PRICE. you will need around 450eu to buy wii u and one extra game. its overpriced as **** due to it being new. you are way better off buying ps3 for under 200eu and then spending 250eu on games or buying nintendo 3ds XL for her.
    *wii u is still to young of a platform. just wait and see. save yourself some money. so far there are not that many games on it and who knows what xbox and sont has under the sleeve.
    *i want wii u too. i am ressisting to buy it as i am weak for any new shiny things, but you got to be strong for your own good. ;)

She plays Lego games on pc with myself. Have 360 and two 3DSs and wii. I'd love a shiny new wiiu but you are right about waiting. I'll go for ps3.

Cheapest I could see was about 220. That right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

buy a ps3 , don't make the same mistake i did and got a wiiu straight away with nothing to play.

Cheapest I could see was about 220. That right ?

Around €160 from a few online retailers, but if that's not an option argos have it for €178.99 for the 12Gb and then €10 for the mount to use you HDD from the broken PS3.

Advertisement