Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove moving!

Options
  • 16-01-2015 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a free standing solid fuel Stanley stove on black granite (Non boiler model) installed now about 6 years. It's connected to a flue from the rear which extends out through the gable end, but lately have noticed that its starting to move when I rake it to clean it out and the movement is between the stove and the flue. Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

Also the flue from the back of the stove to the outside is not insulated and it's starting to crack the plasterboard inside. I was thinking about getting it replaced with an insulated part to combat this as the exterior flue is insulated.

Anybody any opinions on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You need to look closely at the connection between the two as the joint is normally sealed with fire resistant rope and fire cement. I am NOT familiar with the stove so I can only offer general ideas. For every metre of flue, especially near the stove, it will expand in length by c 2 mm each time you fire it up so with a brittle substance like the fire cement, it will inevitably work loose.it will also expand in diameter. The stove will also expand and contract.
    The joint just may need to be redone.

If you decide to upgrade the piece next to the stove, u need to check that the insulation,
    Can stand the heat. If the stove is going full blast with coal, flue gas temperature can be well above the normal limit for stuff like fibreglass.
    You msy find thatvthe first X mm needed to be insulation free.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Thanks for the advice. The stove is a Stanley Tara. I will chat with the guy who installed it and see what he can do.

No bother, just make sure no fumes get into room
    u should be able to look with a small mirror
    Manual just mentions fire cement, maybe no room for rope
    Have u a CO sensor? I dont need an answer!

No fumes and co2 alarm in room also. I have fire cement here so I might just try it myself first....but then again this wont stop the stove from moving. As it is free standing there is nothing to support it on the ground as it slides ever so slight on the plinth.

CO not CO2 !
    Okay, but why start moving now?
    Maybe something has changed outside or in the gable end?
    Am just guessing here but my training has always had me asking why and why now when something changes.
    Maybe take out the baffle plate and have a look in the inside of the flue
    How often is it cleaned relative to use?

• Advertisement

CO not CO2 !
    Okay, but why start moving now?
    Maybe something has changed outside or in the gable end?
    Am just guessing here but my training has always had me asking why and why now when something changes.
    Maybe take out the baffle plate and have a look in the inside of the flue
    How often is it cleaned relative to use?

I've a carbon monoxide alarm. Is that CO or CO2? The flue is cleaned twice yearly. Dunno what is causing it to move now.....I will take a rummage around at some stage when it's not lit.

Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Moanin wrote: »
    I've a carbon monoxide alarm. Is that CO or CO2? The flue is cleaned twice yearly. Dunno what is causing it to move now.....I will take a rummage around at some stage when it's not lit.

Thanks for the advice.

Carbon Monoxide is CO, so that is the correct alarm.

On another note and perhaps some of the stove experts will comment on this; many many years ago when I worked in hardware, we used to sell asbestos rope :-0 and water glass (egg preservative) to make flue and door seals. Don't know if this would give you a flexible seal or not.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement