Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a Catholic priest. Ask me anything.

Options
  • 17-12-2010 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

No, not me ... this guy.

An American Catholic priest started a thread on reddit today, in which anyone can ask him a question and he'll try to give an answer. He seems like a pretty sound guy, and answers questions on stuff like the child rape issue, marijuana, celibacy and various bits of doctrine.

I recommend hitting ctrl+f and entering 'Sacerdos' to find his replies quickly. I'm not sure when he'll be back to answer more questions, but it's probably worth posting one if you have one!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Sacerdos wrote:
    Some of the answers below already give good reasons for this is the case. In my own words, I would say that first masturbation almost always involves lust. It uses another human person for your own selfish reasons. It's worth noting that it was Jesus Himself who said (paraphrasing) "Whoever lusts after another woman in his own heart is committing adultery". Jesus Himself was the one who raised the bar. It's hard to imagine someone masturbating without lusting after someone in their own heart.
    Is masturbating to cartoons okay?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

liamw wrote: »
    lol
    It's a good question, you know. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Had a quick look at this, the priest has absolutely nothing of any interest to say, as far as I can see. He simply trots out the party line. Of far more interest are some of the other comments left, including the following about masturbation and the rights and wrongs of it...

Noob-Regulator
    i have a fetish, i masturbate to atoms, and things made up of atoms.

UFOabductee

Not me. I masturbate to Platonic ideals. I'm fapping to Piety right now.

)
    cosmicr 1
    Christians don't believe in atoms.

Gave me a laugh.

fisgon wrote: »
    Had a quick look at this, the priest has absolutely nothing of any interest to say, as far as I can see. He simply trots out the party line. Of far more interest are some of the other comments left, including the following about masturbation and the rights and wrongs of it...

Noob-Regulator
    i have a fetish, i masturbate to atoms, and things made up of atoms.

UFOabductee

Not me. I masturbate to Platonic ideals. I'm fapping to Piety right now.

)
    cosmicr 1
    Christians don't believe in atoms.

Gave me a laugh.
    I would think he deviates from the party line on his attitude to marijuana, for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

ColmDawson wrote: »
    I would think he deviates from the party line on his attitude to marijuana, for one thing.

Even a stopped clock ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

It's worth noting that it was Jesus Himself who said (paraphrasing) "Whoever lusts after another woman in his own heart is committing adultery".

Thought crime?

Dev 17 wrote: »
    Thought crime?
    Thought crime, punished by the celestial dictatorship that set up the whole game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The issue with this I think is that while you may get answers that doesn't mean they will be good ones

Theism has never been sort on answers, the issue is most of the answers don't make sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fisgon wrote: »
    Had a quick look at this, the priest has absolutely nothing of any interest to say, as far as I can see. He simply trots out the party line.
    but that's his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

Thank you Colm. I opened the page as a skeptic but found his response on the subject of family, or rather lack of, to be of such honest disposition that I can not help but respect and admire him and his views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steve_kav

I once asked a priest and I quote ''If I have oral sex with my neighbours daughter would I be breaking the 9th commandment''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

steve_kav wrote: »
    I once asked a priest and I quote ''If I have oral sex with my neighbours daughter would I be breaking the 9th commandment''

Well, don't keep us in suspense, I'm sure we've all been in that situation at least once.
    What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steve_kav

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Well, don't keep us in suspense, I'm sure we've all been in that situation at least once.
    What did he say?

Well it was the college chaplin so he shouted at me to get out and reported me to my head of department, I was summoned to a meeting with the priest and the department head where I argued the point that I was actually seriously asking a question and the priest shouldnt have breached confidentiality, I got an apology from the priest and an answer that you must not covet your neighbours daughter and oral sex would be considered coveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

steve_kav wrote: »
    Well it was the college chaplin so he shouted at me to get out and reported me to my head of department, I was summoned to a meeting with the priest and the department head where I argued the point that I was actually seriously asking a question and the priest shouldnt have breached confidentiality, I got an apology from the priest and an answer that you must not covet your neighbours daughter and oral sex would be considered coveting.
    Did he explain that? The 9th commandment tells people not to lust after married folks, so clearly that doesn't apply. The only other commandment which mentions coveting is the 10th, so I conclude that that chaplin believes your neighbour's daughter to be his property. Bloody medieval worldview, these religious types. ;)

Advertisement