Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air flow problem with my Stovax Stove??

• 20-02-2013 9:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if any experienced stove people here can help me out.

Recently Ive noticed that my Stovax Riva 66 inset stove still fires up alot when I have the grate fully closed.

The stove is 2 years old at this stage and never had a problem with it,till last weekend.

Air seems to be getting into the bottom of the stove and fanning/fueling the fire even though the grate is fully closed shut...well it seems to be closed shut anyway.

So does anyone know what the problem may be???

Im starting to go through alot of fuel and the stoves seem to roar a bit because of this unknown problem.:(

Please see pics attached to show grate closed off and stove still well alite.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭paddy_joe

paddy147 wrote: »
    Wondering if any experienced stove people here can help me out.

Recently Ive noticed that my Stovax Riva 66 inset stove still fires up alot when I have the grate fully closed.

The stove is 2 years old at this stage and never had a problem with it,till last weekend.

Air seems to be getting into the bottom of the stove and fanning/fueling the fire even though the grate is fully closed shut...well it seems to be closed shut anyway.

So does anyone know what the problem may be???

Im starting to go through alot of fuel and the stoves seem to roar a bit because of this unknown problem.:(

Please see pics attached to show grate closed off and stove still well alite.:confused:

Check the seals around the door and around the glass. Probably needs to be replaced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

paddy_joe wrote: »
    Check the seals around the door and around the glass. Probably needs to be replaced.

seals seem to be fine though...:confused:

Had a quick look again at the rope seal.

Theres a faint rope mark on the frame of the stove when I open the stove glass door.

The fibre rope seal around the edge of the glass the door seems flat aswell.

Even with both the airwash fully shut closed and also the grate shut closed,the fire is still burning away with a fair bit of flame and sparks comming up.

Is it usual for the rope seal to fail after 2 years on a stove??

And would that cause air to rush in and up from the bottom of the stove and fire??

Thanks.:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

On our stove the arm connected to the grate bent so it doesn't fully close the grate. Easy to spot though as it doesn't have a full range of movement in one direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Theres a faint rope mark on the frame of the stove when I open the stove glass door.

Even with both the airwash fully shut closed and also the grate shut closed,the fire is still burning away with a fair bit of flame and sparks comming up.

And would that cause air to rush in and up from the bottom of the stove and fire??

The rope seals will fail just think how many times have you opened and closed that door since it was fitted fire rope seals don't bounce back they just keep flattening.
    The air doesn't need to go under the grate to form a draft once the air is there the fire will burn doesn't matter where it comes from

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    On our stove the arm connected to the grate bent so it doesn't fully close the grate. Easy to spot though as it doesn't have a full range of movement in one direction.

When the stove has cooled down in the morning and I next clean it out,I will have a look into that and see if there may be a gap where the air is still getting in when the grate is closed.

Thanks for that.:)

Robbie.G wrote: »
    The rope seals will fail just think how many times have you opened and closed that door since it was fitted fire rope seals don't bounce back they just keep flattening.
    The air doesn't need to go under the grate to form a draft once the air is there the fire will burn doesn't matter where it comes from

Can I ask how easy or hard is it to replace the fire rope seal on a stove glass door?

It's not hard to do all you need is the right size rope and rope adhesive.Stovax have an online shop or once you find sizes buy anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

When the stove has cooled down in the morning and I next clean it out,I will have a look into that and see if there may be a gap where the air is still getting in when the grate is closed.

Thanks for that.:)
    You could also purchase smoke pellets. Put one in the stove, light it, close the door & watch for leakage.

shane0007 wrote: »
    You could also purchase smoke pellets. Put one in the stove, light it, close the door & watch for leakage.

Where do I get smoke pellets?

Would I get them in Heating Distributors in Finglas?... (stovax agent)

• Advertisement

Where do I get smoke pellets?

Would I get them in Heating Distributors in Finglas?... (stovax agent)

Available in any half decent heating suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Stove Man

Hi

Standard test to check rope seals is to use a piece of newspaper inch wide, when stove cold open door and trap paper between door frame when closing door.
    If the seals are good you will not be able to pull the news paper. if seals are poor the paper will pull easily. repeat all around the door.
    Seals can be repaired by pressing/squeezing/fluffing up the ropes taking care not to remove from the frame, new rope seals are difficult to get as good as the original seals as the glue does not always work well.
    Smoke pellet inside the stove will only work if you block the chimney to contain the smoke in the stove. Smoke test for seals is when the fire is fully up to heat shut down all controls and then hold a smoking or lit match beside the door and watch if the flame/smoke is drawn towards the door.
    I have repaired the seals on a riva inset before that was brand new, the rope had compressed as the stove was closed for several years in shop/factory, big wide rope which could be repaired from just squeezing with fingers all around.

Hi

Standard test to check rope seals is to use a piece of newspaper inch wide, when stove cold open door and trap paper between door frame when closing door.
    If the seals are good you will not be able to pull the news paper. if seals are poor the paper will pull easily. repeat all around the door.
    Seals can be repaired by pressing/squeezing/fluffing up the ropes taking care not to remove from the frame, new rope seals are difficult to get as good as the original seals as the glue does not always work well.
    Smoke pellet inside the stove will only work if you block the chimney to contain the smoke in the stove. Smoke test for seals is when the fire is fully up to heat shut down all controls and then hold a smoking or lit match beside the door and watch if the flame/smoke is drawn towards the door.
    I have repaired the seals on a riva inset before that was brand new, the rope had compressed as the stove was closed for several years in shop/factory, big wide rope which could be repaired from just squeezing with fingers all around.

Thankyou for that advice.....will try that and see how she goes.:)

Does this look normal for a 2 year old Riva 66 inset stove??

Fire rope more or less fell off into my hands when I went to fluff it back up by pinching it.

Do I need a new fire rope then?

And whats the best way to install it.

Special epoxy or silicone??

PS-I also cleaned out the stove,and checked the airflow grate and lever.

They seem to be ok and not bent out of shape.

Does this look normal for a 2 year old Riva 66 inset stove??

Fire rope more or less fell off into my hands when I went to fluff it back up by pinching it.

Do I need a new fire rope then?

And whats the best way to install it.

Special epoxy or silicone??

PS-I also cleaned out the stove,and checked the airflow grate and lever.

They seem to be ok and not bent out of shape.
    If the rope seems to be still intact not broken,flat you can reglue it the glue is available in most places that sell stoves I even seen it in woodies.

Put the stove back on tonight,and shes firing grand again.

So it was the fibre rope seal on the glass door that had being flattened down over time.

Might go and get a new rope seal anyway.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 michael58

Hi All,

Im having the opposite problem with my Stovax Riva. It used to fire up very well but now its difficult to light. Is there a turbine in this stove? I was wondering if this could be the problem and if so does anyone have any details of how to access it or on how to service the stove generally?

Thanks for your help.

Mick

michael58 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Im having the opposite problem with my Stovax Riva. It used to fire up very well but now its difficult to light. Is there a turbine in this stove? I was wondering if this could be the problem and if so does anyone have any details of how to access it or on how to service the stove generally?

Thanks for your help.

Mick
    Possible blockage in flue.What way is your flue done.Post pics of stove and flue and someone will be able to advise better

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Casa 2013

I have a stovax inset stove. I don't know what model as it was there when we moved in. I don't seem to get great heat out of it. My open fire in the other sitting room gives out much better heat. I thought the purpose of the stoves was to replace the open fire and make a room much warmer? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? There are three little handles on my stove- one right above the door, one under the little oval sign under the door and one handle that pulls out to move the grate in the stove. What way should I have these things to ensure optimum heat into the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crisnimhurchu

Hi I realise this is a very old thread but I too am having air flow problems with a storax diva 40 inset stove. The fire burns fiercely and roars even when the air control is fully closed. I bought it 3 years ago from La Martine and they are refusing to look at it because I had my chimney swept by someone else. (La Martine did not offer chimney sweeping at the time.) Can anyone help?

• Advertisement
Advertisement