Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of new radiator

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

i have a quote of 600 euros for a new 1600x600 double radiator panel,this includes fitting and any pipe work.It also includes two pairs of radiator valves to be fitted on two other radiators.
    I have checked radiator prices in Woodies and they seem to cost around 100 euros.
    Is this a fair price or am I being taken for a mug.

Also the exising radiator is almost thirty years old and its leaking.I have been told the new radiators are more efficient,is this actually true.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mary63 wrote: »
    i have a quote of 600 euros for a new 1600x600 double radiator panel,this includes fitting and any pipe work.It also includes two pairs of radiator valves to be fitted on two other radiators.
    I have checked radiator prices in Woodies and they seem to cost around 100 euros.
    Is this a fair price or am I being taken for a mug.

Also the exising radiator is almost thirty years old and its leaking.I have been told the new radiators are more efficient,is this actually true.

Thanks in advance.

New rads are more efficient. 600 seems quite high but I don't know what's involved. Is your old rad 1600 approx long? Has the plumber to extend the pipes? That rad costs around 100 mark. If it's a straight enough swap then it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's not that they're more efficient, per se, but the greater surface area means more heat will beradiated. So yes it will be better for heating the room.

It depends on the level of pipework but 600 seems excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

The old rad is about 1400 in length,it is a replacement rad or pipes are already there.

If the rad costs approximately 100 euros that means I am paying 500 euros to fit it.I dont know anything about radiators or plumbing but that seems a lot.
    I had originally intended to replace three radiators and the quote was as follows,to replace three radiators including new pipework and valves,change the broken valves on two other radiators,the price is 1100 euros,I nearly passed out.!!!!!!!!

I decided then to just replace on radiator and the quote is 600 euros,if it was going to cost 1100 to replace three,600 to replace one seems odd.

It depends on the radiator they're supplying and what you saw in Woodies, to be fair. Not all double panel radiators will be €100.

If he was replacing one at ~€200 and labour was €400, then three rads would be €600 and the labour €500. So that does make sense.

But I think the labour is a bit high for replacing one. You should ask them about that.

But that depends on the cost of the rad they're supplying.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭RJF

Definitely well over the odds unless there some unusual difficulties involved in doing the job in which case these should be explained to your satisfaction. Suggest getting alternative quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Maybe power flushing included.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I have had work done before by this plumber and was happy with it.its a bit of the devil you know and the job will be done right.

I think myself 600 euro is a lot so will ask for around for a recommendation for someone else.

I will ask as well for a breakdown,ie how much is the radiator.Is it a big job to put new valves on existing radiators and how much do new valves cost,this could be pushing the price up too.

Is it a big job to put new valves on existing radiators and how much do new valves cost,this could be pushing the price up too.

Not big enough to justify that kind of expense. I'm guessing they're thermostatic radiator valves but no valves would be difficult or expensive to replace.

I cant turn two of the rads on,the bit you turn is just going round and around.The plumber said they needed new valves,this was without even trying to turn them on himself.

I have decided to look for more information,he was to get going this week but i will ask a for more information,he probably wont be too happy.

The kitchen is hard to heat hence the thinking behind replacing the rads but it will take a long time to save six hundred euros worth of efficient heating.

You say the kitchen is hard to heat. When the heating is on for 20 min can you keep you hand on the radiator for more than a few seconds. If you can the rad is not heating properly and it may not be a problem with the size of the rad but with the overall set up of you system. When your heating is on ALL your rads should heat up FULLY, BOTH TOP AND BOTTOM, and you should not be able to keep your hand on them for more than a few seconds. What is the size of your kitchen, how many windows does it have and how many outside walls.

• Advertisement

We like sittong on the rads so they probably arent hot enough,the plumber did say the setting was too low.The real problem is as soon as the heating goes off the heat disappears.We have a stove in the living room and going from there to the kitchen is like going into a fridge.

The kitchen is 22 ft long and 20 ft in width,there are three windows,two skylights and patio doors to the back garden.

There are three outside walls.

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭JuneJones

We like sittong on the rads so they probably arent hot enough,the plumber did say the setting was too low.The real problem is as soon as the heating goes off the heat disappears.We have a stove in the living room and going from there to the kitchen is like going into a fridge.

The kitchen is 22 ft long and 20 ft in width,there are three windows,two skylights and patio doors to the back garden.

There are three outside walls.

Thanks so much to everyone who has replied.
    Would that not happen with all rads?

There is no way you should be able to sit on a radiator in a properly operating heating system when it has fully heated. Also you should not sit on it anyway as they are not made for this and the wall fixings are not always what they should be. This could quite possibly cause the rad to leak. Cost of rad is 125 E +vat. (good quote). Is there by any chance a thermostat in the room with the stove? What setting was the plumber talking about. Need to know this before I go any further.

I dont really mean sit,we tend to lean against one of them,the other,the one I am thinking of changing is behind a sofa,it is leaking and the pipe leading to the rad itself is very rusty,it is approximately thirty years old.

The plumber said the rads should be set at six,I think.I dont like the rads too hot as still have young children in and out of the house.Not be able to put your hand on it would be roasting to me.

How long should it take to fit a rad,it looks like I am being quoted at least four hundred to fit one rad.

I was hoping the new rads especially if I pay over 600 to supply and install one would be better at retaining the heat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Certainly not better at retaining heat. The modern ones work by being better at dissapatig heat.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Is there a thermostat in the room with the stove? Well done Wearb, I was thinking where to begin.

No,there isnt a thermostat,it gets very warm and the stove heats the room above too,the rooms would be still warm the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

600 is alot even if pipe needed moving which they generally dont my advise is get a second price 1400 double rad is about 130 incl vat

I have got a breakdown.

The new radiator is costing three hundred as its a big double radiator.

The system has to be drained to fit the new radiator and to fit the new valves hence that is adding to the cost.

Does this explain the six hundred.

I have got a breakdown.

The new radiator is costing three hundred as its a big double radiator.

The system has to be drained to fit the new radiator and to fit the new valves hence that is adding to the cost.

Does this explain the six hundred.

Lads have said above that a 1400 double is around 130. Not 300

• Advertisement

I am looking for another quote now.

Anyone interested,I am on southside of Dublin.

Cost of rad is 125 E +vat. (good quote). This is a trade price for a 1600mm x 600mm double panel convector rad. You should expect to pay no more than 200 all in even for a poor price. Call a builders provider or plumbing supplier and get a price yourself. No big deal to drain the system but the refilling of it can sometimes be problematic on an old poorly set up system. A decent plumber should be able to handle it no prob. "The plumber said the rads should be set at six"..... Does this mean that you have thermostatic rad valves? Rads don't need to be set at any number, only balanced using the lockshield valves. You set the TRV's to your own comfort level. If your system is old there may be a lot of sludge in it and your plumber may be anticipating problems in refilling and properly balancing the system. A power flush would cost 5 to 6 hundred so he is not doing this. Is he a proper plumber or a handyman or some such. If he is giving this price he should be able to explain and justify this to you. We have not seen the system here so he is the only one who knows exactly what this job involves and it may be a good price for your particular situation.

apologies,it was the control on the back boiler that should be set at max,I had it on one or two which meant the radiators werent heating up enough,this is what the plumber meant.I thought I would be spending less on the heat if the back boiler wasnt set too high.

He is a proper plumber which is what I want and i have no problem paying a fair price.This just seems an awful lot if materials are approx 150e.

How much do new valves cost.

apologies,it was the control on the back boiler that should be set at max,I had it on one or two which meant the radiators werent heating up enough,this is what the plumber meant.I thought I would be spending less on the heat if the back boiler wasnt set too high.

He is a proper plumber which is what I want and i have no problem paying a fair price.This just seems an awful lot if materials are approx 150e.

How much do new valves cost.
    5 euro for standard valves. 15 for thermostatic

Hi again Mary63, when I saw the description of the size of your kitchen I did some rough calculations based on it. The output of the rad you are thinking of installing would have an output of approx 3000 watts. This would be if it was heating properly as described earlier (approx. 70 deg. C). Your kitchen would need in the region of 5000 watts to heat it effectively based on rough calculations, description and age of house. To be honest you will be doing well if your heat is increased by 10% by your planned change of rad. It probably needs to be doubled.

Advertisement