Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Ireland Beers

Options
  • 24-09-2009 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Got this email and thought some of you might be interested:
    Hi Everybody,

First off thanks to those who have recently signed up through Facebook for their interest and welcome to our new members.

I’d like to announce that the first monthly Atheist Ireland social night will take place in Dublin on Thursday 1st of October starting at 7.30 pm. The venue is the bar of the Mont Clare Hotel, which is at the corner of Clare St. (which follows on from Nassau St.) and Merrion Square, just across the road from where Greens Bookshop was. I’ll be there from 7pm.

This first evening won’t have a format as such but we’ll talk about how we would like to see these nights develop; whether you’d like to run with the Skeptics in the Pub idea of informal discussion on a topic, as well as having a drink and a chat and getting to know other atheists, humanists, agnostics, sceptics and brights. Great ideas can spring from nights like these aside from having a bit of a laugh…

The evenings are open to all regardless of membership of Atheist Ireland and if you don’t know anyone there, come anyway, you’ll be made welcome. And spread the word in any groups you may be involved in!

For those of you who might be interested in joining Atheist Ireland I’ll have forms on the night or you could go here to find out more.

Hope to see you there and feel free to mail me with any questions or ideas on this or any other subject. If there’s anyone on this updated mailing list who’s getting double mails or who would like to be removed from the list please just send me a mail.

I’ll be in touch about upcoming talks, events & campaigns soon.

Ciarán MacAoidh

Dublin Regional Chair

Atheist Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Further to that, the Atheist Ireland Cork regional group will be holding a social tomorrow (Friday) evening in the LV Bar on MacCurtain Street, and a lobbying workshop with lecturer and activist Conor McGrath on Saturday morning from 10am in the Lee Suite of the Victoria Hotel, just off Patrick Street.

All welcome to both events, and if you'd like to be added to the Cork/Southwest mailing list and be informed of all future events, send your details to southwest@atheist.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 2xensemble

An organisation for atheists... hmmm... isn't that a bit like a church??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

2xensemble wrote: »
    An organisation for atheists... hmmm... isn't that a bit like a church??? :confused:

No it's a bit like an organisation for atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Since when has religion had a monopoly on organising itself?

An advocacy group for atheists in this country will only become superfluous the day special treatment for religions ceases to be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Organisation=Church? :confused: I never knew.

The Irish Nurses' 'Church'
    'Church'-inised Crime
    The Wold Health 'Church'

...hmmm... It doesnt seem to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Stop arguing about it and give it a try.

It might be a good way to find a partner without having to resort to online dating.

At the very least you can drink enough beer for the world to appear to make sense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    At the very least you can drink enough beer for the world to appear to make sense.
    Well, while the world makes perfect sense to me without beer goggles, I don't think there's a drug known to mankind that'll make religion look like a good idea :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    I don't think there's a drug known to mankind that'll make religion look like a good idea :)
    Tell that to Rastafari!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Did anybody go to this? I couldn't make it as I was at a comedy club telling jokes about religion... Crap! I should have invited you guys. Ah well. Another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Why are these things always in the Mont Clare?

Don't the pagans have their in the pub thing there on thursdays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

studiorat wrote: »
    Why are these things always in the Mont Clare?

Don't the pagans have their in the pub thing there on thursdays?

Yes they do apparently.

It resulted in a older lady sitting through part of this guy heartfelt life story only to go "I think I'm in the wrong place!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

King Mob wrote: »
    Yes they do apparently.

It resulted in a older lady sitting through part of this guy heartfelt life story only to go "I think I'm in the wrong place!"

Guffaw!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dragonsgates

maybe we should form a RELIGION...

we could invent stupid new feast or prayer days, and wear ridiculous garb, speak in tongues, mis-interpret statements, burn non atheists...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

maybe we should form a RELIGION...

we could invent stupid new feast or prayer days, and wear ridiculous garb, speak in tongues, mis-interpret statements, burn non atheists...

Um...no.
    Too many free thinkers here, you'd just have schism after schism.:)

Advertisement