Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing of before recieving welfare payment?

Options
  • 30-03-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I signed on 4 weeks ago and i am awaiting my claim to be decided.

I was told i will be waiting 8+ weeks for my claim to come through.I am planning on going to Australia in 2 weeks time - 2 weeks before my claim will come through.

I was wondering what the procedure here is,i understand i will have to sign of before i go,but i dont know how long i will be gone for,i might not find work and have to return within a few weeks when my money runs out.

Do i just sign of the day before i go? What will happen to my back-dated welfare payment if i am not here to collect it? Will i still receive it?

I know the local welfare office could/would answer these questions,but i feel maybe that if i tell them of my plans they might stop my payment now? Maybe im just being paranoid but better safe then sorry!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I signed on 4 weeks ago and i am awaiting my claim to be decided.

I was told i will be waiting 8+ weeks for my claim to come through.I am planning on going to Australia in 2 weeks time - 2 weeks before my claim will come through.

I was wondering what the procedure here is,i understand i will have to sign of before i go,but i dont know how long i will be gone for,i might not find work and have to return within a few weeks when my money runs out.

Do i just sign of the day before i go? What will happen to my back-dated welfare payment if i am not here to collect it? Will i still receive it?

I know the local welfare office could/would answer these questions,but i feel maybe that if i tell them of my plans they might stop my payment now? Maybe im just being paranoid but better safe then sorry!

1. Were you in Oz or out of the country for a significant period of time prior to making your claim? If the answer is yes you will be deemed as not being habitually resident as your centre of interest is not in Ireland as you are leaving the country again.
    2. If you have been made redundant/have left college and intend heading to Oz in 2 weeks time then let your local sw office know and any money owing to you can be forwarded by cheque or to your bank account once you provide your bank account details.
    3. If you are are waiting on a means test for jobseekers alllowance you may have to be interviewed by a sw inspector and in view of the fact that you will be out of the country then a decision may not be made on your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

eastbono wrote: »
    1. Were you in Oz or out of the country for a significant period of time prior to making your claim? If the answer is yes you will be deemed as not being habitually resident as your centre of interest is not in Ireland as you are leaving the country again.
    2. If you have been made redundant/have left college and intend heading to Oz in 2 weeks time then let your local sw office know and any money owing to you can be forwarded by cheque or to your bank account once you provide your bank account details.
    3. If you are are waiting on a means test for jobseekers alllowance you may have to be interviewed by a sw inspector and in view of the fact that you will be out of the country then a decision may not be made on your claim.

Firstly,thanks for taking the time to answer,i have looked into it myself but found it all abit confusing so i appreciate it.

1.I have been in Ireland continually for a number of years so no-i was not in OZ
    or out of the country.

2.This seems relevant to me and the answer i was looking for.I was working a paid FAS scheme that finished up as was expected so i was basically made reduntant.

3.I am 25 years of age,if i recall correctly at 25 you recieve the full amount regardless of your parents/spouses income? Im single btw - i must check this one up.

Advertisement