Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC Barcelona Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

gimmick wrote: »
    Isn't The Athleti Vs Barca the highhest scoring game in Europe averged over the last 10-15 years?
    Probably...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054995243

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52114739&postcount=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

La Liga - Team news: Barca strong again
    Eurosport - Fri, 13 Feb 11:32:00 2009

We look ahead to this weekend's Liga action with leaders Barcelona facing a tricky test at Real Betis.

Barca coach Pep Guardiola had all his players back fit from international duty and in training on Thursday with the exception of Mexican defender Rafael Marquez, who was still en route from the United States.

Captain Carles Puyol, who missed Spain's 2-0 friendly win over England on Wednesday with a muscle strain, trained separately from the rest of the group as the leaders prepare for Saturday's match at Betis.

Barca have struggled against Betis at the Ruiz de Lopera in Seville over the past decade, winning only twice in nine matches and losing five, including a 3-2 loss last season in a game they led by a two-goal margin.

"In general, Barca's track record at that stadium has been a difficult one," defender Gerard Pique said

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13022009/58/la-liga-team-news-barca-strong.html

Also I would like to put the question to people "Is la liga a dirty league" ? I was looking over the stats for the season so far and worked out that the 24 referee's who have officiated games this season have issued an average of 5.4 yellow cards per game. Now that to me seems extraordinarily high. Thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

redout wrote: »
    Also I would like to put the question to people "Is la liga a dirty league" ? I was looking over the stats for the season so far and worked out that the 24 referee's who have officiated games this season have issued an average of 5.4 yellow cards per game. Now that to me seems extraordinarily high. Thoughts ?

Not at all imo. Referees seem to be very quick to hand out yellow cards in La Liga and players seem to do their best to get others booked. There's a lot of rolling around on the ground (Navas and Capel are two of the worst I've ever seen for this), waving imaginary cards etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Depends if you're fouled ran within 5m of Raul you've dived at the Bernabeu..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

An Citeog wrote: »
    Not at all imo. Referees seem to be very quick to hand out yellow cards in La Liga and players seem to do their best to get others booked. There's a lot of rolling around on the ground (Navas and Capel are two of the worst I've ever seen for this), waving imaginary cards etc.

:eek: Shockingly both pacy wingers who always try to beat the man. God forbid a barca player with godliness in his blood would dive and try get someone sent off.

guess its ok when its a champions league final :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    :eek: Shockingly both pacy wingers who always try to beat the man. God forbid a barca player with godliness in his blood would dive and try get someone sent off.

guess its ok when its a champions league final :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about going down easily or even diving. It's the completely ott writhing around in agony (as compared with the usual rolling around on the ground that's common in Spain), trying to get the player booked/sent off. They're both quality players but I actually find it hilarious when I see them flipping around on the ground like a fish out of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

eZe^ wrote: »
    There's always millions of goals in it anyway. This was the best ever game of football I ever saw.

Jesus, I always thought Victor Baia was a bit ropey when I saw him with Porto/Portugal but :eek: Shocking performance!

Also, never knew Stoichkov was there for Ronaldo's one season... cheers for that!

Sammy Eto'o is on fire lads. A brace in each of his last three games inside a week ! 2 last weekend against Gijon, two on wednesday night against Guinea and two tonight against Betis. Six goals in three games inside a week is phenomenal stuff. Depending on how Janko does this weekend for Salzburg could see Eto'o move to the top of the leaderboard in the race for the Golden Shoe. 26 goals in 30 appearances this season with 23 goals in 23 league games. Wouldnt sell this guy for anything !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

26 goals in 30 appearances this season with 23 goals in 23 league games. Wouldnt sell this guy for anything !

That is a savage return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wouldnt sell this guy for anything !

funny thing is barca wanted rid of him last season

how things change :)

best striker in the world imo

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    funny thing is barca wanted rid of him last season

how things change :)

best striker in the world imo

I know brother. The thing is the guy has psycho tendencies at times and has threatened to actually kill a couple of people since he has been in Spain and it was well publicised in the media. His attitude can be poor at times also so no surprise that he was told he could leave last summer.

redout your watching too much lost :D

if your unsure what im talking about, look up Desmond in lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Eto'o is pure class alright. I would f**king love to see him go up against Rio/Vidic in the CL. I would pay anything to go to that match tbh!

How's Bojan playing these days?

K4t wrote: »
    Eto'o is pure class alright. I would f**king love to see him go up against Rio/Vidic in the CL. I would pay anything to go to that match tbh!

How's Bojan playing these days?

Only happened last april brother !

Headshot wrote: »
    redout your watching too much lost :D

if your unsure what im talking about, look up Desmond in lost

Aye brother. Spot on. That would be the Scottish bloke. Your fuking scaring me now Headshot as I was actually just about to turn on Lost before I read your reply ! Anywho I am off to watch now........(Under the covers !)

Aye brother. Spot on. That would be the Scottish bloke. Your fuking scaring me now Headshot as I was actually just about to turn on Lost before I read your reply ! Anywho I am off to watch now........(Under the covers !)

im behind you :pac::pac:

Eto'o wasn't playing brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hardly a fair comparison, considering the Utd CB partnership was Brown and Rio, and Eto'o was just back from injury.

Yes he was, he was quite quiet though as he was just returning from another serious injury that ruled him out of more than half a season. He did well on occasion though, and should have been given a penalty after Rio fouled him in the box, but he didn't go down so the ref didn't blow.

He was and he was shíte!;)

He's been quality this season though and no matter what, he always gives 100% for the team. Never stops running either. His only problem is his ego and his tendency to fall out with others, including Guardiola already this year. The reason Barça wanted rid in the summer were due to his constant injury problems and his supposed negative influence on team morale (as was the case with Ronaldinho). If he can stay injury free for the rest of the season*, he'll be in line to challenge Messi for World Player of the Year.

*touches wood*

Yes he was, he was quite quiet though as he was just returning from another serious injury that ruled him out of more than half a season. He did well on occasion though, and should have been given a penalty after Rio fouled him in the box, but he didn't go down so the ref didn't blow.
    How sporting of him.

• Advertisement

Palmeiras Star Keirrison Dreams Of Barcelona Move

Palmeiras striker Keirrison has revealed that he harbours dreams of playing for Barcelona.

Speaking to Terra, Keirrison said, "Ever since I was young, I have identified with the country and the club."

He continued, "I do not have anything against the other clubs, but I like Barcelona, because I saw a lot of Romario and Ronaldo when I was young, so it is a very large dream to play for Barca.

"Another dream is to play with a great player like Messi."

Keirrison has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona in the past, but he moved to Palmeiras on loan from Coritiba only last month.

However, Barca aren't the only European club after the 20-year-old's signature, as Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Manchester United and Liverpool have all been tracking the prodigious forward

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1706/barcelona/2009/02/15/1109999/palmeiras-star-keirrison-dreams-of-barcelona-move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

From Footballs 365s The Spanish Thing
    Barça - Fancy Play, Balls Of Steel

LDWWWWWWWWWDWWWWWWWWWW.

Now, it may appear as if your correspondent has fallen fast asleep on the keyboard attempting a column on Raúl becoming Real Madrid's greatest ever goalscorer on Sunday evening - a feat that is set dominate the headlines in the Madrid-mad press for at least the next decade or two.

It may even be a transcript of Alfredo di Stefano's immediate response to seeing the Real captain break his long-standing record. But without the drool and dribble.

But instead, the opening line is Barcelona's league record so far this season. Until Saturday night, that is.

An annoying, pattern-breaking 'D' must now be added after a 2-2 tussle away at a vaguely resurgent Betis.

As results go, it was a fairly decent one considering the centre back partnership of Carles Puyol and Rafa Márquez was missing and Leo Messi and Thierry Henry began the encounter gazing out from the bench in the Manuel Ruiz de Lopera stadium.

However, Barcelona's total dominance of the rest of the lackeys in la Liga means that the two dropped points are being considered by some (in the desperate Madridista sense of the word) as the start of a wobbling wheel nut on the club's big train of destiny.

One of example of such potty prediction-making was performed by Marca who stuck the infamous words 'Hay Liga!' or 'the league is on!' in the top corner of Sunday's edition, despite Madrid being 13 points behind at the time.

AS followed suit, on Monday, with their declaration that there is "licence to dream" following Real's 4-0 win over Sporting, on Sunday.

But such foolhardy football types would be wrong in this rumour-rousing suggestion that Barcelona are about to choke in a fatal fashion not seen since Michael Hutchence decided to spend the evening in his hotel room.

Instead, Saturday night's match showed that the Camp Nou club have a big old pair of cojones on them. A couple of dingly-danglies that could lead them to a league, cup and Champions winning campaign.

Not that manager, Pep Guardiola, thinks that is likely to happen mind.

"The treble has not been won here for 109 years and I can't accept the fact that we will do it. It's an absurd thought," was the message from the Barça boss, last month, as he attempted to pop the ever-expanding balloon of expectation in the Catalan capital.

Whilst Barcelona's form guide may look like it has been plain sailing for the culés, the side has been up against it on a number of occasions but prevailed.

A month ago, against Osasuna in a freezing Reyno de Navarra stadium - and in front of hostile home fans that hate all visitors with equal enthusiasm - Barcelona found themselves 2-1 down with ten minutes to go.

But that was before a ludicrously brave Xavi nearly nearly lost his legs in a thunderous tackle, nanoseconds before scoring the equaliser.

And that was also before a wondrous winning strike from Leo Messi.

It was Leo Messi who the hero of the hour once again, when Barcelona found themselves in deep doggy-do on foreign fields two rounds later.

At 1-0 down against Racing in Santander, the Argentinean striker came off the bench in the 58th minute to score an equalising goal six minutes later and then the winner.

On Saturday night, in the city of Seville, Barcelona found themselves trying to claw back a two goal deficit for first time this season.

They pulled one back just before half-time after Samuel Eto'o finished the job after his initial penalty was saved. Messi and Henry were thrown into the mix in the second half and seventeen shots on goal later, the equalising effort was found, once again, by the Cameroon striker.

Whilst it is evident that "Barcelona without Messi is something else," as noted by Santi Nolla in Mundo Deportivo, these three comebacks show that Pep Guardiola has fashioned a side that plays the fanciest football this side of Portman Road but possesses a backbone of steel.

Despite missing chance after chance, on Saturday night, Barça kept hammering away, did not let their heads drop - which would often happen under Frank Rijkaard - and finally got their reward.

"When the team carries itself how Barcelona did today, I cannot have any complaints," said Guardiola after the game.

Whilst Messi is quite rightly being lauded at the king of the Camp Nou, it is his striking partner who is contributing just as much to carry the club forward.

Samuel Eto'o is still a raving nut-job but he is a loveable loon who now has every ounce of his energy focussed on scoring goals rather than ranting at Ronaldinho.

And this is in part down to the psychological skills of Pep Guardiola, who has once again made Eto'o the best out-and-out striker in the game today - a striker who has clocked up 23 league goals in 22 matches.

Their relationship appears to be an extraordinarily complex one that often verges on violence.

In a home game against Betis, Guardiola appeared to be on the brink of bopping his striker on the bonce after Eto'o ran from the bench and shoved his boss to celebrate a goal.

And in the return tie, on Saturday night, Eto'o ran screaming like the crazy man he is, towards Guardiola after scoring his second of the night.

"I told you so!" yelled Eto'o in rabid response to a half-time argument where his manager was instructing him to play more on the right - an order Eto'o ignored.

"Fortunately, they're the ones who are playing and they follow their instincts," said Guardiola in forgiving mood. In public, at least.

With the Champions League about to restart, the big question to be asked is whether they will be adding to the 104 goals scored so far this season, to justify their rating as firm favourites for the competition.

Naturally, a pessimistic Pep Guardiola says no. "We are not unbeatable, nor indestructible, nor the best team on the continent," insists the Barça boss who noted after Saturday's draw that his team tend to nod off when the ball is out of play - one weakness opposition teams can cling onto.

A week after Deportivo were thrashed 5-0 by Barcelona, Football365 spoke to a player on the receiving end of the spanking and asked how it felt to go up against a team whose first assault landed after just twenty seconds.

"Oh f**k" was the general sensation in the side. His tip for surviving the experience was for teams to batten down the hatches for the opening twenty minutes, then hope for the best.

But as many are finding, this season, that isn't always enough against a Barcelona side who have combined brilliance with balls.

I have just highlighted 2 sentences there which made me laugh.

Good read.

Update

Golden Shoe standings 2008-09
    Current standings (League goals only)
    (Including games played on February 9, 2009)

Pos
    Name
    Club
    Gls
    Mult
    Pts

Janko
    Salzburg

Eto'o
    Barcelona

Ibisevic---Hoffenheim

Villa
    Valencia

Messi
    Barcelona

Update

Golden Shoe standings 2008-09
    Current standings (League goals only)
    (Including games played on February 16, 2009)

Pos
    Name
    Club
    Gls
    Mult
    Pts

Eto'o
    Barcelona

Janko
    Salzburg

Ibisevic---Hoffenheim

Villa
    Valencia

Messi
    Barcelona

A Samuel Eto'o brace at the weekend has moved him clear at the top in the race for the Golden Shoe after this past weekends round of games.

Arsenal And Barcelona To Contest Glamour Charity Fixture

A pre-season charity game between Premier League heavyweights Arsenal and Primera Division giants Barcelona could be pencilled in for June 13 in Strasbourg, if reports surfacing today are to believed.

The Alsace club's general director Jean-Luc Herzog is quoted by DNA as saying that a verbal agreement has been struck with the two clubs, as well as UNICEF, with the intention of holding the fixture in the summer.

There is yet to be written confirmation, but Herzog explained: "We have given our agreement in principle, but it’s just the preliminaries.

"At this hour, there’s no written confirmation."

The tie would no doubt throw up many conversational points including much-loved Arsenal son Thierry Henry playing against his former club.

It would also give the Gunners a chance to remedy the painful overturning of their 1-0 Champions League final lead in Paris in 2006, when the Catalan club scored twice in the final quarter of an hour to snatch the trophy.

And it would also be a particularly sentimental occassion for Arsene Wenger who is an Alsatian himself, and was once coach of the club's youth academy.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/755/europe/2009/02/17/1113670/arsenal-and-barcelona-to-contest-glamour-charity-fixture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That would be awesome....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Be nice to teach our little sister from across the water how to really play attractive football. :pac::pac:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Be nice to teach our little sister from across the water how to really play attractive football. :pac::pac:;)

*firmly not biting*

Man City now chasing Eto'o

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8671_4938421,00.html

ETO'O TO CITEH THEN?
    Well, the Daily Mail suggests that Barcelona are 'bracing themselves for a £20m summer bid from Manchester City' for the striker, who has suggested he will be offski in the summer with just a year remaining on his contract. Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are all said to be interested, and we might humbly suggest that Eto'o would be rather more keen on joining any of that trio than City.

Eto'o has scored 23 goals this season but he is still said to be irked at coach Pep Guardiola's willingness to sell him last summer and wants out - presumably clutching the La Liga medal that will undoubtedly be his by May.

Eto'o in the news again. The whole Real Mallorca thing is not news, as he has stated many times he wishes to finish his career there.
    LAPORTA ACCEPTS ETO`O ECCENTRICITIES

Barcelona president Joan Laporta has taken the latest comments from outspoken striker Samuel Eto'o in his stride.

Eto'o hit the news again this week after he was reported to have told a French magazine that his real love was for Real Mallorca and that he was only working for current club Barcelona.

The prolific Cameroon international - La Liga's leading scorer this season with 23 goals - also spoke about other matters, including saying he had already made a decision about his future at the Nou Camp, and since then he has been closely linked in the media with AC Milan.

Laporta was unmoved by the whole episode though, saying of Eto'o: "He is an extraordinary man, you cannot expect ordinary behaviour from him.

"Eto'o is Eto'o, he is how he is, with his virtues and defects like everyone - he isn't a conformist and that's why he has the quality he has. You have to respect him and if he has certain points of view you have to respect them.

"We already know what Eto'o's character is and the squad accepts it.

"It's a debate which doesn't interest us much, what we are interested in is that the team continues along the same path."

Regarding the player's future, Laporta added: "He has a contract until 2010 and of course we want a goalscorer like him at Barcelona, but it will depend a lot on what the player wants because we want players committed to the team and who really want to be here.

"We won't keep anyone against their will."

I am going to miss the derby Saturday night. Going mad.

• Advertisement

A few news stories to report

The stand-off continues in the Samu-Barca contract talks and it would appear that the ball is now in the player’s court…19 Feb 2009 02:10:16

Barcelona president, Joan Laporta has insisted the club wants to retain the services of their Cameroonian hot-shot, Samuel Eto’o, but it is now up to the player to take the next step.

As the contract wrangle continues, both parties are blaming the other for stalling in what is quickly turning into a chess match. And Laporta has just made his move by swinging the responsibility over to the striker.

“It depends on what he wants. He has a contract with us and we want him to continue, but at the club, we love players who are committed. If he is uncomfortable here, then we have no intention of retaining him,” the president said during the press conference to announce their next sponsorship deal.

The focus then shifted to the next pressing matter, the Primera Division title race with arch nemesis, Real Madrid: “They already completed a comeback against us two years ago and they are trying to do it again now.

“But I hope that with the experience that we have gained, we won't make the same mistakes again,” he affirmed.

The UAE-based telecommunications services provider have agreed a deal to sponsor the iconic Catalan giants...
    18 Feb 2009 17:24:38

Barcelona have agreed a deal with the United Arab Emirates-based telecommunications services provider, Etisalat, that will see them sponsor the club for the next four years.

Sport reports that the contract is worth €12 million and will see the club marketed in eighteen countries.

The telecom's customer base is claimed to reach 74 million customers and it is certainly a high-profile deal between the two parties.

The sign from Barcelona, who have been in the shadow of Real Madrid for some time now in terms of advertising in Asia, is that they are ready to expand too.

With plenty of money on offer in a large continent, the deal comes as no great surprise, and Etisalat is a big business for Barcelona to be tied with.

They currently rank in the top 500 companies trading on the stock market and are one of the largest in the Middle East.

Los Blancos closed the gap on the Blaugrana ever so slightly last weekend but it is not something that is causing Messi to lose sleep.
    19 Feb 2009 07:55:49

Barcelona’s come-from-behind 2-2 draw with Real Betis, coupled with Real Madrid’s impressive 4-0 win at Sporting Gijon, breathed new life to the Primera Division title race as the Blaugrana’s lead at the top was cut from 12 to just 10 points.

It may still be a considerable gap but it has given Los Blancos cause to hope, although Barca’s star player, Lionel Messi, is showing no signs of concern just yet.

“Ten points is still a significant advantage for us,” he said during an interview with Antenna 3.

“We just have to keep thinking about increasing our lead and winning all our remaining games, although it will be very difficult.

“However, even if we were to lose, we shouldn’t be too worried. Seven points is equally just as good and as important a lead.”

When asked if he would prefer winning La Liga or the Champions League, or both, the nippy Argentine replied, “It would be spectacular to win both, but it is necessary to think about La Liga first.

“The Champions League is very difficult and we must first see how we confront the knock-out phase, starting with Lyon.

“Playing the second leg at home will be an advantage and we can secure qualification in front of our fans. It will take a lot to win the competition, but it is possible,” he assured, before going on to pin-point Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Inter as their main rivals for the crown.

Barca coach Pep Guardiola has lead the team to a remarkable and swift resurgence ever since taking over from Frank Rijkaard in the summer, and Messi had nothing but glowing commendation for the Santpedor-born trainer.

“The squad learned very quickly what Guardiola wanted from us. It’s impressive how he views football from within and from the outside. It’s not necessary to have experience to be a good coach,” he said.

The 21-year-old concluded by reserving a few words of praise for the Spanish national team.

He said, “They are playing the best football in the world at the moment. It is great for fans who really love the game, because it is fun to watch their games.”

The Spanish international star is confident that with such a big margin, Barcelona can fend-off the challenge of Real Madrid.
    18 Feb 2009 17:35:54

All the talk in the press this week might have been about Barcelona's dropped points last weekend but the Catalan players seem less than concerned by the incident.

Martin Caceres came out yesterday to say that nothing has changed and Xavi has declared that their ten point lead is still a "considerable" one.

"If it was the other way round, we would say that it was impossible,” he told Marca. “[In Madrid] they still believe [they can win the league] but the mentality of some is different to others.

"Ten points is a considerable gap and we are in a great run of form. We are dominating our opponents and playing good football. We are relaxed and I expect to continue this way. Titles can be won this year."

Indeed, Barcelona are in line to win all three competitions they are involved in this season - not that Xavi is thinking about a treble success yet.

"We have a good chance of winning the league and the Copa del Rey; we must take this chance to do so,” he mused. “As for the Champions League, we must be wary because we have not historically done well in the competition, although we have a lot of desire to win it.”

The midfielder also spoke about his team-mate Samuel Eto'o, whose future is somewhat cloudy at present.

The Spaniard acknowledged that he wants the striker to stay and that perhaps too much significance has been taken from an interview the Cameroon international gave earlier this week.

"I think too much importance has been given to his words,” he opined. “He did an interview and he said that he knows where his future is - that is all.

“I am always the first person to defend him. I think he is a great professional and the best forward in the world. I would like him to stay. His statistics are good and when we need a goal he is there. He is a top player and he deserves to be at Barcelona."

Alongside Eto'o, Andres Iniesta is one of the most important players at Barca, and Xavi admits that his injury is a blow.

"He is a very important and impressive player for us, but we have won without him,” he stated. “His is an important absence, though. He gives us extra quality on the pitch.

"The three competitions come and we must be prepared to play a game every three days. The demand of the fixture list is great, but I think we are working well with the coaches. The team is mentally prepared to compete."

Up next for the league leaders is the derby against Espanyol and Xavi believes it will be a tough game.

"We have the experience of the last game, when they almost beat us, and we have to be very attentive,” he warned. “They are a competitive, battle-hardened team and it will not be easy at all.”

Andres Iniesta's absence from the Barcelona derby at the weekend will be noticed by Josep Guardiola's side, according to Espanyol boss Mauricio Pochettino.
    19 Feb 2009 09:34:58

As he prepares his Espanyol team for the local derby in Camp Nou at the weekend, Mauricio Pochettino has stated that he believes that Barcelona will miss Andres Iniesta.

The Blanc i Blau boss stated that he was not happy that the Blaugrana star was sidelined with a knock but he does expect that his absence will be noted by Espanyol’s hosts.

Espanyol lost 3-2 on aggregate to their city rivals in the Copa del Rey last month and Iniesta played a key role in that triumph, however, a hamstring injury means he cannot appear this time.

"As a former player I never like to see other players suffer injuries because I know what they go through," Pochettino explained.

"But it is clear that Iniesta is a great player and he will be an important absence for Barcelona on Saturday."

Former Espanyol coach Ramon Moya stated this week that player power is an active influence at the Barcelona-based club, however, Pochettino has dismissed these claims, stating that they are merely excuses.

"Those comments a tiresome and they do nothing more than sully the name of our players," he continued.

"I think that they are used an excuse for coaches - like those who always blame the referees. We do not have any excuses.”

The Spanish striker is wanted by Manuel Pellegrini's side...
    18 Feb 2009 18:52:37

Reports in the Spanish press today suggest that Villarreal will make a move for Barcelona striker Bojan Krkic next summer.

El Mundo Deportivo claims that El Submarino Amarillo are seriously interested in bringing the youngster to El Madrigal and are planning a deal at the moment.

The main problem for them will be how to convince Barcelona to let go of one of their young talents.

Even though Bojan has not been used much by Pep Guardiola he is still a highly-rated player, and Villarreal may have to explore a few routes to sign him.

A straight transfer seems unlikely, unless it has some sort of buy-back deal, so it is thought the club are considering a loan, with an option to buy at the end of it.

That would give the player plenty of experience next season, and Barcelona would still be able to retain him in 2010.

It is not clear where Guardiola stands on the idea of letting Bojan go, but the Villarreal hierachy are known to be interested in the Spaniard.

The main reason they are looking so far in advance is because the futures of both Guille Franco and Nihat Kahveci seem unclear.

The Mexican has not been first choice by any means this year, and it is thought there have been offers for him from his home country. Nihat on the other hand has been plagued with injury, but has also generated interest from around Europe.

The Mexican is not rushing contract talks but wants to stay...
    18 Feb 2009 19:19:07

Barcelona defender, Rafael Marquez, has declared his belief that he will extend his contract with the Catalan side.

Marquez, who is currently with Barcelona until 2010, told Marca that he is not rushing things, but intends to continue in Catalonia.

"I have not yet spoken [to the club] about it, but I want to stay here as long as possible," he began.

"I am not in a rush, but to relax everyone it might be better if it is spoken about soon and the future decided upon.

"My priority is to stay with Barcelona, but there is a world outside, there would be other doors open and I could go elsewhere. I trust that everyone will be sorted before the end of the season because I want to stay and I do not think there will be any problems."

With regards to another Barcelona player's future, that of Samuel Eto'o, Marquez was mindful that he "continues to be the same person," and his comments "do not affect the performance of the side".

The Mexican also spoke about the title race and insisted that the "pressure is on Real Madrid...We have a ten points advantage and we have not shown any weaknesses."

Marquez acknowledged that despite the draw with Real Betis last weekend, Barcelona "are the same" and that "the team will not drop their level until the end of the season.

The Bojan loan deal can only be a positive thing in my opinion as he needs more games to help him fully develop and get him so more vital experience. The sponsorship deal can only be a good thing with a timely cash boost to the club in these uncertain economic times. Iniesta's injury is a blow but the team should be ok without for a few weeks considering they already went a couple of months without him in the first half of the season and didnt do to bad.:) The Eto'o situation is a mess and I think Laporta is playing a dangerous game with his comments. Eto'o is not a player who can be very easily replaced. Would hate to see him leave.

Advertisement