Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert points

Options
  • 14-07-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Can leaving cert points be turned into credits for the u.s system. Its 8 years since I did the leaving cert

I thinking of taking the NYPD test to join the force.

Here is the requirements on there page.

http://www.nypdrecruit.com/faq/exam-employment

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

cena wrote: »
    Can leaving cert points be turned into credits for the u.s system. Its 8 years since I did the leaving cert

I thinking of taking the NYPD test to join the force.

Here is the requirements on there page.

http://www.nypdrecruit.com/faq/exam-employment
    Let me start off by saying that I know NOTHING about recruitment for the NYPD! :pac:

However, just looking at what they say there:
    On or before the day of hire, candidates must have successfully completed either:

1) Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university, or

2) Two (2) years of full-time, active military service in the United States Armed Forces with an honorable discharge and have a high school's diploma or its equivalent.
    "Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university" would be basically what they term an Associate Degree in the States, or it's equivalent. The Associate Degree is pretty similar to the current Higher Cert in the Institute of Technology sector (which was previously the National Certificate before it got re-named).

Their credit system is quite different ... that 60 credits translated into our system would actually be 120 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System credits) here.

The Leaving Cert would be considered pretty much the equivalent of the High School diploma they mention in point number 2, and if you have at least 2 years active service in the US military under your belt, you might be able to argue that case all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

Let me start off by saying that I know NOTHING about recruitment for the NYPD! :pac:

However, just looking at what they say there:

"Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university" would be basically what they term an Associate Degree in the States, or it's equivalent. The Associate Degree is pretty similar to the current Higher Cert in the Institute of Technology sector (which was previously the National Certificate before it got re-named).

Their credit system is quite different ... that 60 credits translated into our system would actually be 120 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System credits) here.

The Leaving Cert would be considered pretty much the equivalent of the High School diploma they mention in point number 2, and if you have at least 2 years active service in the US military under your belt, you might be able to argue that case all right.

I understand you may not know anything about the joining of the NYPD.

I only have l.c and l.c.a. all finished. I just don't know what kind of college course would suite me.
    I hope I can take the test when I go over later in the year for a holiday

I understand you may not know anything about the joining of the NYPD.
    Just to be clear, I wouldn't want you thinking I had any great expertise or knowledge about it! ;)

If you are seriously interested in this area, and plan to move over in the future, perhaps see what is available online / via distance learning from American colleges, even perhaps New York ones, and have a start made before you go? Most aspiring cops seem to opt for a Associate Degree (AA) in Criminal Justice or similar, for I guess obvious reasons.

For example, this link may be helpful.

I should mention something which may confuse you as you look at college websites btw: some colleges will speak of an associate degree being awarded to students who complete 90 quarter credit hours, others will speak of 60 semester credit hours (the latter is the more common, I think).

This is simply a difference in two systems of calculation, and the two actually equate. "Semester credit hours" are used by colleges who organise themselves by semesters (2 in an academic year) and "quarter credit hours" are used by colleges who divide the academic year into 3 "quarters" or terms as we might say here.

In either case, on a full-time schedule, either would require two years to complete. Obviously, if you're dealing with part-time or distance learning, it's likely to take longer.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't want you thinking I had any great expertise or knowledge about it! ;)

If you are seriously interested in this area, and plan to move over in the future, perhaps see what is available online / via distance learning from American colleges, even perhaps New York ones, and have a start made before you go? Most aspiring cops seem to opt for a Associate Degree (AA) in Criminal Justice or similar, for I guess obvious reasons.

For example, this link may be helpful.

I should mention something which may confuse you as you look at college websites btw: some colleges will speak of an associate degree being awarded to students who complete 90 quarter credit hours, others will speak of 60 semester credit hours (the latter is the more common, I think).

This is simply a difference in two systems of calculation, and the two actually equate. "Semester credit hours" are used by colleges who organise themselves by semesters (2 in an academic year) and "quarter credit hours" are used by colleges who divide the academic year into 3 "quarters" or terms as we might say here.

In either case, on a full-time schedule, either would require two years to complete. Obviously, if you're dealing with part-time or distance learning, it's likely to take longer.
    I couldn't afford 40,000 dollars a year for a college in the states. I have always wanted to be an nypd officer since I was a child

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I couldn't afford 40,000 dollars a year for a college in the states. I have always wanted to be an nypd officer since I was a child

Why? So you can look up at the tall buildings?

Become a Garda and make a difference in the society that paid for your education.

If you really want to a carry a gun try and later move to another EU police force - the PSNI if you only speak English fluently.

It's great to have dreams, but having cop on is even more important. If you want to work in policing a strong desire is crucial - but what is wrong with the Gardaí? Give us three good reasons before making such an odd life choice.

You're going to move to the states, spend years becoming a US citizen, leave all those you love, and drown in debt - for what?

• Advertisement

Well, that's probably a bit over the odds (remember fees can vary a lot in the States between the Harvards and the Yales on the one hand, and say a community college for an AA on the other.

Just had a quick there, and you're probably looking at $30-35k overall if you did it online, rather than $40k p.a. x 2 = $80k.

That's still a hell of a lot of money though.

You could also suss out with them how open they are to accepting the equivalent from outside America, whether there are certain programmes which are more likely to be accepted, etc. Up to you to do the research. ;)

Sorry to be a downer, but you may also want to seriously consider whether your childhood dream (probably sparked by lots of tv) will turn out in reality to be anything like tv, or be in the slightest bit suited for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well I suppose you need to consider whether you want to consider policing as a career or specifically NYPD. What attracts you to NYPD?

Six or seven years ago lots of my students in 5th or 6th year chose chemistry because they wanted to become forensic scientists (Thanks CSI). The reality between what people do with fancy jackets and sunglasses and transparent glass screens is vastly different to what people do in forensic science in real life (for the most part). Mainly things like diagnostic testing, probably some work in labs in pharma sector, food, health screening etc. Not running around crime scenes looking cool.

So back to your problem, what is attracting you to NYPD specifically. Aside from the fact that US cops carry guns etc, they still put tickets on cars, catch people for speeding, turn up to houses to sort out domestic disputes and all the same stuff that the Gardai do here.

If you want to know what is acceptable the best course of action is to contact them directly. The chances of someone on boards knowing if Irish qualifications are slim.

They may not accept foreign applications. If they do, they might want you to complete a certain amount of third level education.

And if that is the case, it might work out cheaper to do that third level education in Ireland and then apply.

To be honest I would imagine it would be hard to get into applying from Ireland. Not trying to put you off, but there are plenty of Americans to choose from and I'd imagine plenty of foreigners who are already legally living and working there with green cards. To apply without a right to live or work there is putting the cart before the horse in my opinion.

Even as far as i know to join the Metropolitan Police in the UK you don't have to be British but you do have to be resident there for three years before applying. I'd imagine the Americans would operate in a similar manner if not stricter.

Further to what Randy said about Americans doing Associates Degrees in Criminal Justice maybe that would be the way for you to go if you are considering a college course that may compliment your application.

Law and Criminal Justice (Letterkenny IT)
    https://www.lyit.ie/full-timecourses/lawhumanities/ly207/

To be honest application and third level qualifications are the least of your worries:
    Requirements to Be Hired:
    Candidates must be at least 21 years of age on or before the day of hire.
    Candidates must be a United States citizen on or before the day of hire.
    On or before the day of hire, candidates must have successfully completed either:
    Sixty (60) college credits with a 2.0 G.P.A. from an accredited college or university, or
    Two (2) years of full-time, active military service in the United States Armed Forces with an honorable discharge and have a high school's diploma or its equivalent.
    On date of hire, candidates must reside within the five (5) boroughs of New York City and the surrounding counties.
    On date of hire, candidates must possess a valid New York State Driver's License.

Candidates must pay a $75.00 fee for fingerprinting as part of the investigation process.
    Candidates must pass a drug/alcohol screening.
    Candidates must pass a character and background investigation.

How do you plan on becoming a United States citizen???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

It's a very romantic idea; driving around fighting crime, eating donuts with a partner who makes witty observations. I remember I wanted to do the same after playing LA Noire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Macavity. wrote: »
    It's a very romantic idea; driving around fighting crime, eating donuts with a partner who makes witty observations. I remember I wanted to do the same after playing LA Noire.

Ya in a fantasy world the CIA/FBI/MI5 etc are head hunting me and want to pay me an obscene amount of money to work in encryption and code breaking etc a la Good Will Hunting.

In reality I teach science and have a mortgage. :pac:

Anyone can take the test. You don't need to live in the states or be an American etc.
    I'll be doing more looking into this.
    I know exactly what the job entitles. It's not about the gun carrying.

All my mothers side of the family live in ny. One is a fireman chief.

• Advertisement

All my mothers side of the family live in ny. One is a fireman chief.
    See, this is at least a reason why NY might be attractive / a connection with the general public safety area.

And when you're over there, have a good chat with the fire-chief, I bet he knows lots of the local cops, might even set you up with a chat with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Befriend the fireman. He may know people on the inside. If this was LA Noire you'd have to gain his trust through a conversation, taking careful note of his body language. I love that game.

Macavity. wrote: »
    Befriend the fireman. He may know people on the inside. If this was LA Noire you'd have to gain his trust through a conversation, taking careful note of his body language. I love that game.

The fire chief is my cousin

Advertisement