Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site FAQ spam section needs clarification

Options
  • 11-07-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I just got banned from Cycling forum for posting a survey about cycling computer options. I discussed in details with mod what he didn't like about my post and I think site rules needs clarification - I wouldn't consider my post as spam, but it was treated like that and rewarded ;-) with permanent ban without warning.
    Please consider adding "Surveys are not allowed except dedicated forum" to the spam section.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

PrzemoF wrote: »
    ...I wouldn't consider my post as spam...
    Spammers generally don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Please consider adding "Surveys are not allowed except dedicated forum" to the spam section.

It's a site wide rule and in the terms of use.

There's a survey forum dedicated to surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Do you mind pointing me to the right section in the terms of use? I don't see it.

There is only:

"4.4 Who cannot join boards.ie
    You must not use boards.ie if:
    [..]
    You are joining solely to seek to engage in market research. "

which odoesn't apply to my situation.

I found out that there is a dedicated forum for surveys after I got banned.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to clarify, your pemanent forum ban was for not asking first, then posting what in effect amounted to market reseach in connection with some software you were looking to develop

Once I had an assurance that you would not post anything like that again in the forum your ban was lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you mind pointing me to the right section in the terms of use? I don't see it.

There is only:

"4.4 Who cannot join boards.ie
    You must not use boards.ie if:
    [..]
    You are joining solely to seek to engage in market research. "

which odoesn't apply to my situation.
    How doesn't it apply?

• Advertisement

OK, you got me. I joined boards solely to do market research. My well over 1000 posts are just part of a cover up operation. The sneaky question that I asked was "What do you watch on your bicycle computer for most of the time during a ride? I use speed (obvious), heart rate and cadence. Rarely distance and gradient of the road." and then 2 days later I revealed my evil plan by posting this: "Thanks for all the answers! Please keep them coming - I'll be desiging an open software/hardware cycling computer and I want to get an idea what it should display by default."

This is well beyond ridiculous now. boards is a private web page, so you have right to give permanent bans for unwritten rules without warning, but please spare pointing me to non-existing points in FAQ or Terms of Use.

Anyway, thanks for lifting the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Overheal wrote: »
    How doesn't it apply?

The word ,"solely"presumably.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think PrzemoF has a point.

It was only right that the ban was lifted and the T&Cs should probably elaborate on Boards' policy on surveys (or individual forum charters updated).

In the interim where a poster is a contributor but makes the mistake of posting a survey, mods should really use their discretion to lock/delete surveys and inform the poster without banhammers. Mods in forums even have leeway to allow them where the survey might be of interest and the poster is a good contributor.

Users who do fall under the "solely" description are ripe for nukin', however. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well in this case, too, the OP asked questions for his survey without revealing his intention until a couple days later. Dick move, imo.

Yea, the word "survey" says it all - I wanted to hide it in plain sight :)

I'll keep repeating: I had no clue that surveys are not allowed except dediacted forum and there is no word about it in the terms of use.

I need clarification: is it OK to post a thread in "Media and Research" and post a link in Cycling forum or I should just forget about getting any answers from cyclists about what might be useful for them in open softtware/hardware cycling computer?

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

A survey with the intention of gathering information for a business is, in fact, market research. You can post a survey without asking first in the Surveys and non-media research forum. For any other forum, you should ask permission of the Mods first and the Mods' decision is final in that case - this includes posting a link in the Cycling forum - ask first. You can also post a link in your sig to the thread in Surveys & Media Research.

Thanks for the clarification!
    It's not related to any business in any way - it's an open software / open hardware hobby project.

Advertisement