Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished the LC/Now what to do for gap year?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I'm taking a gap year as I feel I'm too young for college right now, also I wanted to build up on my CV etc. Sometimes I dread the year coming up as all my friends will be gone, while I'll be left behind.. I intend to keep busy as possible by training for various mini marathons, volunteering in charity shops, working in a nursing home (I want to study nursing/midwifery), fostering animals (I've already gotten in contact with the DSPCA about it☺️), getting my drivers license anddoing online fetac courses.. Has anybody got any other suggestions that I could do for my year off (bearing in mind I can't travel- parents won't let me!) or have some advice?!
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Learn (or improve) a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Voluntary work is fantastic. Get in contact with local nursing homes/charities. They'll be delighted with your help. Joining a sports club may also be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I did the same following my Leaving Cert. It's hard for the first few weeks while everyone else is off in college, but you get used to it before long. What I did was a FETAC/QQI as it's now going to be called, course in my school, in computers. That was a full time course mind, but as an add on we did an online programe called ECDL (European Computer Drivers Licence) which gives you an internationally recognised qualification in ICT. You do the theory online and then are examined on each topic, some of the ones covered are MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc, they have probably changed since. Not a bad qualification to have under your belt for quite minimal effort. If I recall correctly it was pricey though.

Forgot to mention the important part, it's internationally recognised by employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Spend some time with your cat, just the two of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

If you want to do midwifery maybe you should join your local red cross and do a first aid course with them.

The ECDL course is good, not particularly difficult but recognised by employers and looks great on your CV. ECDL is expensive maybe €100.

Have you thought about getting some part time work, experience working (as anything) looks good on a CV and would give you some pocket money.

Maybe try a new sport and get active, 6th year tends to make people inactive and lazy.

If you're a good swimmer, look on the irish water safety website they run pool guard courses in the autumn and lifeguard courses in the spring, you first need to do the three rescue level courses this summer to be eligible to do the pool guard and lifeguard courses (each rescue course takes about 2hrs for five days in a week), talk to somebody in the irish water safety for more information. Pool guard and lifeguard qualifications look really good on a cv and can offer good employment opportunities in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I second the idea of learning a language for the year. Being able to speak a second language is a great thing to have on your CV!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I second the idea of learning a language for the year. Being able to speak a second language is a great thing to have on your CV!

Sign language might be a big plus if considering the healthcare end of things.

Advertisement