Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD Art Portfolio

Options
  • 14-07-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi
    What is a portfolio? How do you make one and what type of art work should I put in it? And do I submit it when I'm in 6th year? And anyone know how ,when , where to apply . Do i apply now?
    sorry for asking to much but all these question has been causing me to stress .I've tried to contact NCAD but no replies :(
    Please help !

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

This is something I don't know a lot about, but if you haven't read this already I think it would be extremely helpful: http://issuu.com/ncad/docs/ncad2014_15portfoliobrief

The portfolio is made up of mind maps, and artwork. You also have to fill a notebook. It's explained in detail from page 9 onwards in the link above.

The artwork has to be based around the themes provided by NCAD shown on page 9. I believe you can use any materials and any form of artwork as long as you follow the themes.

You submit the portfolio by the end of first week of February, see page 5 in the link. If it's not next year you're doing the LC I think it's usually around that time anyway. Also see page 6/7 on when you can get the portfolio back, how it is assessed, etc.

You apply through CAO as with any other restricted course, and you must apply before the 1st of February, see page 5 in the link. You can put it on your CAO as soon as the CAO opens, probably in November.

Portfolio Brief Information Sessions on this year 8th, 11th, and 12th of November 2014 could be something you'd like to visit. They'll answer questions on the 2015 portfolio brief and give you a tour around the first year studios too.

More information on open day dates, etc.: http://www.ncad.ie/study-at-ncad/visit-ncad-open-days/

If you are not applying for 2015 DO NOT use those themes, I am under the impression they change every year and I do not want you to be caught out. They will probably put up the 2016 themes soon.

Some FAQs from their website: http://www.ncad.ie/study-at-ncad/undergraduate-year-1/news/

You should check if there are any portfolio building courses in your locality, which you could find helpful.

I hope this helped in some way as I haven't applied to NCAD or ever built up a portfolio myself so I don't know all that much.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour and I hope it all goes well for you.

Also try not to worry too much, sit, take a deep breath, and enjoy the process of creating your art.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Helenm98

Hi
    Thanks 'LaughingOwl'
    Em , this might be stupid to ask: I'll be taking my LC in2016 so do follow the guidelines for 2016 but then now I can't start my portfolio as I dont know the theme for 2016????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Helenm98 wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks 'LaughingOwl'
    Em , this might be stupid to ask: I'll be taking my LC in2016 so do follow the guidelines for 2016 but then now I can't start my portfolio as I dont know the theme for 2016????

Most themes are very general in nature and will fit in with whatever subject matter you choose. Basically what i'm saying is your work is recyclable under most theme.

It would be good practice to go through the process recommended by NCAD for this year and to learn from it. Show the portfolio that you come up with to others to get feedback - such as your art teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dreamer95

I did a portfolio for entry to 2014, make sure its as unique as possible! Try to come up with some really unusual ideas! Good luck! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dreamer95 wrote: »
    I did a portfolio for entry to 2014, make sure its as unique as possible! Try to come up with some really unusual ideas! Good luck! :)

This. You want something that will catch their eye and make them remember your portfolio among all the others.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 dreamer95

Also one more thing!
    I started my portfolio for NCAD during the summer before my Leaving Cert(June 2013) and continued to do it throughout 6th year. I wouldn't recommend doing this as 6th year is enough pressure as it is without having an art portfolio as well! I would definitely advise that you start the portfolio as soon as the 2016 guidelines (or whatever year you wish to enter college) are released and try to get the majority of the work completed before 6th year starts! Having said this, I don't mean for you to rush your work as it will show. If you feel that you may find preparing a portfolio difficult I would recommend doing an Art Portfolio Preparation course. Some places do courses during the summer and others are for an academic year.
    Just do your best and I hope all goes well for you, best of luck :)

P.S.
    This goes for any portfolio for any college, not just NCAD!

Hi
    I'm finally getting myself together and start to work out some bits and pieces of art work but I don't quite understand what I need to do with the notebook thing???
    Please help me out and explain what I need to do
    Thank you

You need to keep a notebook every day - sketch out thoughts, observations, ideas - they are looking to see your though process in action. Doing up a notebook in one go at the end is going to looked forced/contrived. You need to update your notebook daily while you are working on the project/brief. Make it very visual with a small amount of annotation/ writing.

Red Hare wrote: »
    You need to keep a notebook every day - sketch out thoughts, observations, ideas - they are looking to see your though process in action. Doing up a notebook in one go at the end is going to looked forced/contrived. You need to update your notebook daily while you are working on the project/brief. Make it very visual with a small amount of annotation/ writing.

hi,
    what type of notebook? Can it be just ones with writing lines or be plain blank?
    Is the size A4 okay?
    Also , does the sketches must be fully done ,not rough and scribbly ones
    Can the sketches be anything, doesnt have to relate to the finish art pieces that I'm gonna present in the portfolio.

Thank you for your help

I'd say blank is best because you will mostly be using visuals.

Use a mixture of approaches - quick sketches contrasted with more detailed work, use different materials pen, pencils, inks ,pastels, photos , collage

A4 is okay if it suits you - do you need to carry it on the bus every day then maybe a smaller one suits you better.

They should relate to the themes you picked for your project - but think wide - how does the visual world around you relate to the themes.

• Advertisement

Red Hare wrote: »
    I'd say blank is best because you will mostly be using visuals.

Use a mixture of approaches - quick sketches contrasted with more detailed work, use different materials pen, pencils, inks ,pastels, photos , collage

A4 is okay if it suits you - do you need to carry it on the bus every day then maybe a smaller one suits you better.

They should relate to the themes you picked for your project - but think wide - how does the visual world around you relate to the themes.

Thank you very much
    But I actually dont know the theme yet , I'll need to see when portfolio guidelines 2016 comes out but is there a way to predict or guess the theme that ncad gonna choose. Are the theme mostly about nature?

I forgot that you are preparing for 2016 - its great that you are preparing so early - it gives you a good head start! Its very competitive there!

This years themes are;

Memory
    Night time
    Habitat
    Border
    Movement
    Tools

They ask you to choose two themes

http://issuu.com/ncad/docs/ncad2014_15portfoliobrief

As you ask - Nature can be incorporated throughout any of these themes. If you are interested in nature - use this as a starting point and then let your themes develop.

Advertisement