Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crochet Help!

• 17-09-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hello

So I have taken up crochet the past couple of weeks, I'm still learning but I do a nice little granny square!
    However, when I attempt to go any bigger than 3 rounds, my edges tend to start going 'wiggly' I was originally hoping to make a nice blanket by just keep going and making the square bigger and bigger but it was so wiggly it looked stupid after a while so I gave up.

I thought I might be pulling the wool too tight (I was) but I have started again and this time I'm not pulling the wool at all, just letting it flow through my fingers so there is very little tension on it but the wiggly edge is still happening.

I have now decided to make 100 granny squares in grey and blue, border each one with cream and then attach them.
    So I've made like 25 smallish squards, all fine, but now I'm adding the cream border (just one round) here we go again, the wiggle is back!

Any tips and advise appreciated, I want to make my Grandad a blanket and need it be as perfect as possible :)
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Can you post a pic? The only thing I can think of is that you are adding in an extra chain stitch or an extra 'triangle', is it wiggley on each side of the square? or just one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Can you post a pic? The only thing I can think of is that you are adding in an extra chain stitch or an extra 'triangle', is it wiggley on each side of the square? or just one.

I'm doing this from a phone so I hope this works!
    The granny squares joined together I think are ok, there will be 100 in total - the wiggle doesn't really matter as when I attach them, it goes
    However the white one, as you will see, is a disaster!
    I followed a pattern from a girl online and hers was perfect so I am not using too many chains I don't think?
    Thank you for replying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suspect the pink wool is just slightly thicker than the white wool so it is making the outer edge just a bit bigger. You do seem to have three stitches between groups, maybe if you reduce that to one or two it will work better. When you are working with different yarns you sometimes need to adapt slightly to make it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Thank you :) I will try it with less chains in between and see how I go

Advertisement