Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor - Finance quest?

Options
  • 10-03-2010 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you ring and change your finance plan to a reduce rate does this affect your credit rating and also is this a good idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Vanbis wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you ring and change your finance plan to a reduce rate does this affect your credit rating and also is this a good idea?

"bump"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

probably get more info in a personal finance forum

Tigger wrote: »
    probably get more info in a personal finance forum

Ok thanks. I had a look around before i posted but couldn't see it.

Can a Mod please move this post to "Personal Finance" please. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

"Banking & Insurance & Pensions" forum is the closest I could think of.

eoin wrote: »
    "Banking & Insurance & Pensions" forum is the closest I could think of.

I was orignally going to post it in that form but as its Finance on a motor i wasnt sure.

Can you move it to "Banking & Insurance & Pensions" please?

thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Already done

eoin wrote: »
    Already done

Thank you kind sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. How would you ring and reduce your rate? Do you mean reduce how much you are paying each month or reduce your interest rate? If you mean interest rate, how do you plan on doing that?

A little more info would be helpful :)

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. How would you ring and reduce your rate? Do you mean reduce how much you are paying each month

A little more info would be helpful :)

Sorry, yes if i called and wanted to reduce my monthly repayments would this affect my credit rating and does it look bad on my part?

Basically is this a good or bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Vanbis wrote: »
    Sorry, yes if i called and wanted to reduce my monthly repayments would this affect my credit rating and does it look bad on my part?

Basically is this a good or bad idea?

It depends on your situation. To reduce your repayments, the term of the loan would be extended. It would take longer to pay it off. If the loan was originally over, say 2 and a half years the bank might be willing to extend the term. However, if the loan was originally over 5 years they would be less likely to extend the term.

It would negatively affect your credit rating, but not drastically. Simply put, if you went for another loan down the line they would see that you refinanced this loan to reduce your repayments, and that might make them ask questions.

If you can afford not to, I'd recommend staying as you are. If you are under financial strain, however, by all means talk to your local branch. You would most likely have to show that financial strain for the bank to approve the change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement