Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet for a restaurant cafe - codes for use?

Options
  • 28-09-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hello there,

Not sure if I'm in the right place to post this question but if not, I hope someone will redirect me.

Hoping to make the internet semi-public in a small fast-food restaurant by making it available for a limited period for each user. The idea being that they don't spend the whole day taking up a table while using the internet.

While travelling in other countries I have been to places (McDonald's and Starbucks mostly) that seem to have some sort of system like this in place and there are two that seem to be what I'm looking for.

1)On your receipt is printed a code which you need to enter to use the internet connection for a given period. When your time is up you are cut off, and in order to continue you must enter another code, which is on your next receipt.

2) Connect to the internet, and when you open your browser you create an account or sign in using your email address (presumably putting you on a mailing list), and this gives you thirty minutes or so on that computer for the day. Once that time is up you lose your connection.

Obviously the first option would be preferable because it encourages people to buy something while they use the internet, and stops scabby backpackers (like myself) hanging around the door freeloading on the free half hour.

But I can't seem to find a system like that here. Or at least, I haven't been looking in the right places for them.

I got on to Eircom who told me that they can make the place a Wifi Hub which will make it free to use for Eircom customers, or €2 a day for people who just want to use it in a jam, which means either way once they're online they can settle themselves in until closing time. McDonald's here seem to use Bitbuzz, which from what I can gather is much the same.

Does anyone know where I should look. I don't even know if it's a thing that can be sorted out with software or if it's down to the Internet service provider.

Thanks in advance.

Damo.

Comments

Advertisement