Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talking animals.

• 11-07-2012 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

Is it acceptable in your opinion that cartoon animals talk when real ones don't?

Having grown up in the country I have never really thought of this til now, we could always tell the difference between Bambi and Sunday dinner.

But for today's city dwelling kids, they could go years without encountering wildlife so maybe we should think a little more of the lessons we are teaching our kids, and lower their expectations of the conversational abilities of our furry friends.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Meh, do me my donkey sounds like Eddie Murphy. Feck Hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Real animals do talk, just we can't understand.

If you're looking for wildlife that can speak our language then look no further then parrots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he dressed up as a girl bunny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

It annoys me in cartoons when some animals talk and some are pets. Like Pluto in mickey mouse. That's probably the least strangest thing about mickey mouse though in fairness.

But no you're talking ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

books4sale wrote: »
    Only to their own species though. They're no having a massive rave party like in Jungle Book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Where To wrote: »
    Is it acceptable in your opinion that cartoon animals talk?

Not if they talk all uppity.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he dressed up as a girl bunny?
    Yes I did. Even when he wasn't dressed as a girl bunny. I didn't go out serenading rabbits in ditches though, which is what I fear could happen in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Spare a thought for the iguana, on a scorched rock, overlooking an ever diminishing pool.. muttering utterances about how it used to really attract teh flies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

If you're looking for wildlife that can speak our language then look no further then parrots.
    Or Mynah Birds, check out Youtube for videos of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

They're not talking, they're mimicking you. Hook to the head will put paid to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think OP is just testing the waters whether to reviel he is actually the cow in his avatar and stun the world that's he's learned to read and type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Is it acceptable in your opinion that cartoon animals talk when real ones don't?

Having grown up in the country I have never really thought of this til now, we could always tell the difference between Bambi and Sunday dinner.

You eat baby deer's for Sunday dinner:eek:

But for today's city dwelling kids, they could go years without encountering wildlife so maybe we should think a little more of the lessons we are teaching our kids, and lower their expectations of the conversational abilities of our furry friends.

Most kids I know, (or even my own kids) have never watched peppa pig then attempted to ask the sow in our yard how she felt having thirteen young, essentially breast feeding from her for roughly 22 hrs a day.

I think your reading too much into this tbh.

Lastly, I'd personally be more worried on what our kids learn in Bible class.

Take this story from judges 19:22-30.

Within the Bible, one occasionally finds stories so horrible, one can wonder what their purpose is. Not only is this story utterly bizarre, but it is also absolutely disgusting. A man and his concubine are wandering the streets when they decide to seek shelter for the night, and find a man kind enough to let them stay. That night however, a group of men turn up at the door and demand to see the guest so that they may have sex with him. The owner is unwilling to let his male lodger be raped and so offers up his virgin daughter instead. However, this is still not good enough for the men, so the owner offers them his guest’s concubine and the men accept. The men brutally rape the woman and leave her on the doorstep where she bleeds to death. If that is not enough, when she is found by her husband, he chops her up into twelve pieces which he sends to each of the twelve tribes of Israel.

The moral of this story? I would hope none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Only to their own species though. They're no having a massive rave party like in Jungle Book.

One word.....mushrooms!

You ever see a bear chillin' while munching on a mushroom?

One word.....mushrooms!

You ever see a bear chillin' while munching on a mushroom?
    I have, and I've also seen them buzzing on honey.

I haven't, however, seen them stealing pickinick baskets, talk in silly voices, play jokes on park rangers or wear trillby hats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Pass it to the left, Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Have a problem like what the op mention. Every time we're at family dinner in my granny's with my little city cousin gets upset if we mention what we're having for dinner. So for the pass six months it meat all around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

And as if by magic to prove my point,

http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-chased-and-attacked-by-raccoons-516781-Jul2012/

This poor unfortunate lady thought she was going to reason with a lovable rogue who lived in a hollowed out tree with his uncle and wore stripey t-shirts.

Instead she encountered the ferocity of living breathing wild animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dogs are probably the best at the human language outside of humans, they just don't have the vocal cords to reply, I'm not that convinced that what parrots are doing is anything more than a parlour trick. Dogs understand the meaning.

I would have thought talking animals teach children some amount of acceptance of things that are not like themselves. There's also less worry about annoying any particular group of people and it's just common for parents to talk for other objects when they explain things to children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lee says her American dingo dog began barking
    American dingo :confused:

Real dingos don't bark

American dingo :confused:

Real dingos don't bark
    American ones do apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Dog

Advertisement