Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Reina quotes about Rodgers
    "His team has played well this year with an ethos that I share and Liverpool is also known to play the passing game but it is easier said than done," Reina reportedly told El Pais.

"Rodgers is welcomed and I am at his disposal. We have won a trophy this year but it is clear that in recent seasons we should have done better."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Dickerty wrote: »
    You know, I don't think anything is off the table. Rodgers seems to want a specific type of player, and whether they are a big name or not, and what league they are coming from, I don't think that'll matter.

But Giroud is a big man, which we already have one of, and which seems to go against the Rodgers philosophy of playing to feet...

Trying to keep Aquilani and solidifying him in the first team would be higher up Rodgers' list of priorities I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Trying to keep Aquilani and solidifying him in the first team would be higher up Rodgers' list of priorities I would think.

Agreed. He's had a fair amount of football under his belt this year, at a high level, and his resale value is such that we are probably better off keeping him.

Aquaman for Player of The Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Gbear wrote: »
    Seemingly, he was also responsible for us having the 3rd best defence.

How exactly? I never remember the Liverpool defence being particularly poor before Clarke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We are clearly better off giving Aquilani away. I think people need to let go.

He doesn't want to be here, and his big wages could be put to better use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

How exactly? I never remember the Liverpool defence being particularly poor before Clarke.

Have you forgotten about Roy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

NukaCola wrote: »

thankfully, every so often, i do!

We are clearly better off giving Aquilani away. I think people need to let go.

He doesn't want to be here, and his big wages could be put to better use.

I suspect we were still paying part of that even when he was on loan the last 2 years. Or at least that he took a pay-cut to play in Milan.

Why give him away? He was a regular starting XI player for AC last season, and Juve the season before. He's only 27, and has 2 years left on is deal. You really don't think he's a better CM option than Adam, Spearing or Shelvey??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You know, I don't think anything is off the table. Rodgers seems to want a specific type of player, and whether they are a big name or not, and what league they are coming from, I don't think that'll matter.

But Giroud is a big man, which we already have one of, and which seems to go against the Rodgers philosophy of playing to feet...

Giroud is a bit of a different style player to Carroll. Yes he is known for his heading ability and robust manner of play, but he has more pace than Carroll and is able to link up easily with technical players like Belhanda, Camara, and Ait-Fana as well as showing the ability to strike up a quick rapport with bit part technical players like Cabella. Would say that he is a better finisher than Carroll as well as he looks far more focused on being in goal scoring positions as often as he can.

Nicollin and Girad have both been very vocal though about the kind of money it will take for a club to buy him though. Have a feeling that he would cost at least £20m to £25m to get.

For me there are two players at Montpellier that would catch my eye more than Giroud (mainly because I think that there is a chance that a better striker could be got for a similar price as to what Giroud would cost).

Belhanda is a no brainer. Fantastic player who can play in a number of positions, but would ad so much to our attacking game.

The second is the club captain Yanga-Mbiwa. He just turned 23 last month and is already a very good centre back who can also play in both full back positions. Quick, composed, strong in the tackle, good at reading play/positioning, and has only one year left on his contract afaik. If there is truth to us selling Skrtel this summer, then Yanga-Mbiwa would be no bad choice as a right footed CB to play alongside Agger.

Funnily enough some of the French and Gerrman sports media have linked us with an Italian centre back who is left footed in Ogbonna of Torino. He would be very strong, fast, good on the ball, and aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Brush up on your grammar.

So he's saying that Johnson, a guy who knows Suarez and can hear his explanation of what happened can't make up his own mind and should instead go over to the other side of the debate like an obediant little black person?
    Oh, but it's ok, because he was "expressing an opinion", and of course, they can never be racist.:rolleyes:

So Jonhson shouldn't take pops at players he perceives to be wrong? Why, because they're all black and black people should stick together?
    I'd recommend you listen John Barnes' opinions on it. Not because he's black, but because he was one of the few in the whole debacle who didn't talk absolute ****e.

For future reference, any time you say "black people should..." replace "black people" with "people with black hair" or "people with green eyes" and see if your sentence still makes sense. If it doesn't, then what you were about to say was probably racist.

for future reference stop talking sh1te. I've lived my entire life not caring if people are pink, black, yellow, green whatever. You judge people by the content of their characters not the colour of their skin. The whole stance on the Suarez affair was wrong and that's from LFC to the FA to everyone.

What i take offence with is the fact GJ said "i don't really know anything about Paul McGrath" yet he still takes a pop. He takes an isolated comment and calls him racist. Yet in the same breath chose to defend Suarez because he knows the bloke a lot more than an "alleged" isolated comment made to Evra. Then people trot out the Ron Atkinson thing, which is a joke, McGrath did NOT defend Ron, he said "i can't condone what he has said but i know he is not racist". Ron was the pioneer in bringing 3 black players to england to West Brom in a time it was unheard of, but was also of a generation where politically incorrect comments about colour, women, etc were commonplace, all McGrath did was point out Ron didn't mean any offence by his comments, he never disputed they were wrong.

Anyway i'm done, it's the wrong thread to try have an opinion on the issue. Outside of LFC and their fans, 99% of neutrals feel LFC, Suarez and their fans handled the whole issue shambolically and even Kenny admitted he would have done things differently.

On to the euros, 1 day!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I suspect we were still paying part of that even when he was on loan the last 2 years. Or at least that he took a pay-cut to play in Milan.

Why give him away? He was a regular starting XI player for AC last season, and Juve the season before. He's only 27, and has 2 years left on is deal. You really don't think he's a better CM option than Adam, Spearing or Shelvey??

The problem with Aquilani is that its unlikely he will settle here. He wants away asap.

Nobody will dispute that would improve our squad.

We need to tell him how it is, no more loan moves whilst we continue to pay the bulk of his wages.

So instead of focusing on the 10 years of sound defending under Houllier and Benitez, you would prefer to judge Liverpool's defensive record on 5 months, during which the club went through unprecedented turmoil??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

:pac:
    7334084534_a0369feb6c_z.jpg

Jayob10 wrote: »
    The problem with Aquilani is that its unlikely he will settle here. He wants away asap.

And you know this how?

I think he wanted to stay last season, but Kenny was clear that he would not be a starter, it was Lucas, Adam and Stevie who would be first choices. Comolli said when negotiating his loan "He only wants to play football". If he didn't want to play in England, why sign for an English club?

It's not like playing in Italy got him in favour for the national team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What i take offence with is the fact GJ said "i don't really know anything about Paul McGrath" yet he still takes a pop. He takes an isolated comment and calls him racist. Yet in the same breath chose to defend Suarez because he knows the bloke a lot more than an "alleged" isolated comment made to Evra.
    No.

"Johnson claimed: "The McGrath thing ... that's actually racist. Saying what he said is racist."

Let me break it down:
    "The McGrath thing ... THAT is actually racist."

What's racist here? Is Glen referring to McGrath as "that"?
    No. He's referring to an action - "the McGrath thing".
    He's calling it a racist thing. He's not calling McGrath a racist thing.

McGrath expects that because Glen is black he'll sit on one side of the argument, rather than allowing him to make up his own mind.

Brush up on your grammar.

So he's saying that Johnson, a guy who knows Suarez and can hear his explanation of what happened (insert comma here) can't make up his own mind and should instead go over to the other side of the debate like an obediant(obedient) little black person?
    Oh, but it's ok, because he was "expressing an opinion",(incorrect comma placement) and of course, they (they implies multiple people, you are speaking of a point a single person makes - that) can never be racist.:rolleyes:

So Jonhson shouldn't take pops at players he perceives to be wrong? Why, because they're all black and black people should stick together?
    I'd recommend you listen (to)John Barnes' opinions on it. Not because he's black, (comma incorrect) but because he was one of the few in the whole debacle who didn't talk absolute ****e.

For future reference, any time you say "black people should..." replace "black people" with "people with black hair" or "people with green eyes" and see if your sentence still makes sense. If it doesn't, then what you were about to say was (something i am "about to say" can't be used in the past tense. "is" not "was") probably racist.

yeah, grammar police are cool.

So instead of focusing on the 10 years of sound defending under Houllier and Benitez, you would prefer to judge Liverpool's defensive record on 5 months, during which the club went through unprecedented turmoil??

Spot on. And we seem to sign better defenders than attackers, or at least make better choices - Sami, Steph, Babbel, Finnan, Riise, Skrtel, Agger, Arbeloa, Soto.
    Yes, there has also been Traore, Josemi, Kromkamp and Dossena.
    Degen doesn't count, since he never actually played football.

What i take offence with is the fact GJ said "i don't really know anything about Paul McGrath" yet he still takes a pop. !!!!

Have no beef with what you are saying, as it is your own opinion on the matter, but this sentence did catch my eye.

You take offence to the fact that Johnson took a pop at McGrath despite not knowing him, but why not take offence to McGrath seeing fit to pass comment on Glen Johnson despite admitting that he did not know Johnson.

Seems to me that McGrath is just as guilty of passing comment in public on a person that he did not know.

You said you never remember the defense being poor, despite it being the worst it has been in before his arrival? I'm not focusing on 5 months, just stating the facts, no need to get so emotional. So we just dismiss those 5 months to prove your point shall we??

And you know this how?

I think he wanted to stay last season, but Kenny was clear that he would not be a starter, it was Lucas, Adam and Stevie who would be first choices. Comolli said when negotiating his loan "He only wants to play football". If he didn't want to play in England, why sign for an English club?

It's not like playing in Italy got him in favour for the national team...

I'm referring to what Rodgers said last week.

Something along the lines of "he is an excellet talent, but until you talk to him you don't know if he will settle".

By all accounts, his wife and kid won't live in Liverpool.

He wouldn't be the first player to move abroad and realise it was the wrong move.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have no beef with what you are saying, as it is your own opinion on the matter, but this sentence did catch my eye.

You take offence to the fact that Johnson took a pop at McGrath despite not knowing him, but why not take offence to McGrath seeing fit to pass comment on Glen Johnson despite admitting that he did not know Johnson.

Seems to me that McGrath is just as guilty of passing comment in public on a person that he did not know.

PM knows GJ is a full back for liverpool , Gj just implied he hadn't a clue who this McGrath chap was. That's all. Neither know each other personally.

Anyway euros tomorrow, this is old news. /done.

Paul McGrath is royalty here in Ireland, he'll get the benefit of the doubt from just about anyone.

He is bang out of order here though.

yeah, grammar police are cool.

You could do with reading comprehension 101. Most of the things you attempted to 'correct' in your post, are in fact grammatically correct.

You fail.

Not that I really care, but please stop making an arse of yourself.

Back to footy.

SSN completely fabricating a story on a hunch that Sigurdsson could join from Swansea.

Probably already been discussed but havent been on thread in a while.

What ye reckon if it came to fruition? We could send them Adam in compensation...

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Giroud is a bit of a different style player to Carroll. Yes he is known for his heading ability and robust manner of play, but he has more pace than Carroll and is able to link up easily with technical players like Belhanda, Camara, and Ait-Fana as well as showing the ability to strike up a quick rapport with bit part technical players like Cabella. Would say that he is a better finisher than Carroll as well as he looks far more focused on being in goal scoring positions as often as he can.

Nicollin and Girad have both been very vocal though about the kind of money it will take for a club to buy him though. Have a feeling that he would cost at least £20m to £25m to get.

For me there are two players at Montpellier that would catch my eye more than Giroud (mainly because I think that there is a chance that a better striker could be got for a similar price as to what Giroud would cost).

Belhanda is a no brainer. Fantastic player who can play in a number of positions, but would ad so much to our attacking game.

The second is the club captain Yanga-Mbiwa. He just turned 23 last month and is already a very good centre back who can also play in both full back positions. Quick, composed, strong in the tackle, good at reading play/positioning, and has only one year left on his contract afaik. If there is truth to us selling Skrtel this summer, then Yanga-Mbiwa would be no bad choice as a right footed CB to play alongside Agger.

Funnily enough some of the French and Gerrman sports media have linked us with an Italian centre back who is left footed in Ogbonna of Torino. He would be very strong, fast, good on the ball, and aggressive.

I still see Ogbonna ending up at either Milan tbh. I think he wants to stay in Italy too. Torino were saying only yesterday it'd take a sensational offer when quizzed whether 12M euros would be acceptable to get him.

Mbiwa is my first choice if Skrtel does leave/we are in the market for another CB.

Wouldn't be overly keen in Giroud myself.

-Ade- wrote: »
    I still see Ogbonna ending up at either Milan tbh. I think he wants to stay in Italy too. Torino were saying only yesterday it'd take a sensational offer when quizzed whether 12M euros would be acceptable to get him.

Mbiwa is my first choice if Skrtel does leave/we are in the market for another CB.

What sort of fee is being mentioned for Skrtel? if its not pure rubbish of course.

If City were willing to pay £20million for him i'd drive him there myself.

He has had a terrific season but we could definately upgrade on Skrtel for half that fee. Not to mention Coates, who could be given the chance to build a partnership with Agger.

Skrtel is good, but not top quality. If a quality replacement was found this could be an opportunity to sell a player at the very top of their value, he may never be worth the same fee again.

Its a bit like us signing Downing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

You could do with reading comprehension 101. Most of the things you attempted to 'correct' in your post, are in fact grammatically correct.

You fail.

Not that I really care, but please stop making an arse of yourself.

Back to footy.

SSN completely fabricating a story on a hunch that Sigurdsson could join from Swansea.

Probably already been discussed but havent been on thread in a while.

What ye reckon if it came to fruition? We could send them Adam in compensation...

Sigurdsson is a Hoffenheim player

-Ade- wrote: »

Don't think we will get Ogbonna and, like yourself, I reckon he will end up at one of the bigger Italian clubs. Fine player though who seems to be combining what are seen as the stereo typical qualities of an Italian defender with the kind of athletic qualities not normally seen as typical of an Italian defender. Could be a beast of a player if he continues to develop along those lines.

Totally agree on Yanga-Mbiwa. Have mentioned him a few times over the past season and would defo be my first choice to replace Skrtel. Did you see that he was also linked with Everton on French tv?

Giroud for the money I suggested would be a no for me. I reckon that Welliton would cost similar money and for me is a far superior player.

You said you never remember the defense being poor, despite it being the worst it has been in before his arrival? I'm not focusing on 5 months, just stating the facts, no need to get so emotional. So we just dismiss those 5 months to prove your point shall we??

You're right the 5 months under Hodgson was a wonderful time for Liverpool. There was no threat of administration, a wonderful ownership regime and no detrimental internal politics!! Even if there was, sure these things would hardly have an effect on how the team played would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

But but but but Paul McGrath is an Irish hero and what he says is gospel.
    You should know this by now Kess

• Advertisement

What sort of fee is being mentioned for Skrtel? if its not pure rubbish of course.

He has had a terrific season but we could definately upgrade on Skrtel for half that fee. Not to mention Coates, who could be given the chance to build a partnership with Agger.

Skrtel is good, but not top quality. If a quality replacement was found this could be an opportunity to sell a player at the very top of their value, he may never be worth the same fee again.

All the fees being mentioned for Skrtel are just guesses. Some outlets have a £12m figure, some go closer to £20m.

Yanga-Mbiwa would cost somewhere between £10m and £15m imho (although I think he is worth more than that myself), and would be an upgrade on Skrtel, imho, in many departments plus he is younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

@Fourth_Official: Mohamed Diamé will sign for Liverpool on the 1st July (Daily Mirror) #LFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Diame. Hmm. Better cover for Lucas than Spearing anyway, right?

You're right the 5 months under Hodgson was a wonderful time for Liverpool. There was no threat of administration, a wonderful ownership regime and no detrimental internal politics!! Even if there was, sure these things would hardly have an effect on how the team played would it?

Simple question. Yes or No. Was the defense poor under Hodgson.

amiable wrote: »
    But but but but Paul McGrath is an Irish hero and what he says is gospel.
    You should know this by now Kess

I'm more of an Irish hero than he is. Yes I concede that he might have been a slightly better footballer than I, and he may have had the slight advantage of being a world class defender.

But I beat him on one score when it comes to being an Irish hero.

I was born in Ireland, he cannot beat that.:pac:

Wouldn't have a breeze with regards to the fee tbh, really depends on long is left on his contract which I'm sure a few here probably could answer. I'd like to think minimum would be around £15M though. If we could ensure Carra doesn't regain his place in the starting XI and could get someone like Guidetti in, I wouldn't be against a deal being a made. I think FSG (or their advisors, etc) would look at it like, that we bought him young, he's now 27. He'll be on the wane in a season or two more than likely. Is £15M to £20M really that bad of a deal? I don't think so.

• Advertisement

Sigurdsson is a Hoffenheim player

From Swansea meaning from his loan there to us. Pedant. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Diame, eh?

we could do a lot worse (i.e. keep Spearing as first choice cover).

we could do a lot better, but probably not much better for that price.

a good deal IMO, though uninspiring.....if true of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Is Diame a free agent?

Why limit the options to defence??

The entire team were completely sh1te during that period.

All the fees being mentioned for Skrtel are just guesses. Some outlets have a £12m figure, some go closer to £20m.

Yanga-Mbiwa would cost somewhere between £10m and £15m imho (although I think he is worth more than that myself), and would be an upgrade on Skrtel, imho, in many departments plus he is younger.

Very talented defender, would you reckon he is a realistic target though? There will be alot of interest I reckon.

Love to see us bring Dede of Vasco da Gama to Europe. More in the Agger style of centre half in terms of being the ball player but he is excellent in the air and quite quick aswell.

He'll end up at Milan or Barca though, himself and Thiago Silva will be a great partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

so no business done before euros?

good or bad thing?

strongest rumours so far are sigurdsson and diame - not exactly players that are going to blow the league away and perhaps neither of them would interest last season's top 5 but is that where we are at now? by the way i still think sig will be good signing and diame will be decent back-up for lucas but we really need two or three top class signings to get back in contention - are we in a position to land those type of players though?

Who do people think would be interested in Spearing?
    Stoke or Wigan might be interested.
    He was handy to have around if anyone forgot their car keys

Why limit the options to defence??

The entire team were completely sh1te during that period.

Exactly.....the poster said he never remembers us being poor in defense

G.K. wrote: »
    Is Diame a free agent?

Yeah he is indeed, only 24 aswell. Decent player too, provided the wages are not over the top this is a bosman that actually makes sense.

Allows us to invest in other areas. Definite upgrade on Spearing for sure.

Is Diame a free agent?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

donfers wrote: »
    so no business done before euros?

good or bad thing?

strongest rumours so far are sigurdsson and diame - not exactly players that are going to blow the league away and perhaps neither of them would interest last season's top 5 but is that where we are at now? by the way i still think sig will be good signing and diame will be decent back-up for lucas but we really need two or three top class signings to get back in contention - are we in a position to land those type of players though?

Read the United thread on here, some of them were certainly hoping that Sigurdsson would be looked at before they went in for Kagawa/Hazard. He's certainly a player of a high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Heard were linked with Adam Johnson today that would be a cracking bit of buisness

Don't think we will get Ogbonna and, like yourself, I reckon he will end up at one of the bigger Italian clubs. Fine player though who seems to be combining what are seen as the stereo typical qualities of an Italian defender with the kind of athletic qualities not normally seen as typical of an Italian defender. Could be a beast of a player if he continues to develop along those lines.

Totally agree on Yanga-Mbiwa. Have mentioned him a few times over the past season and would defo be my first choice to replace Skrtel. Did you see that he was also linked with Everton on French tv?

Giroud for the money I suggested would be a no for me. I reckon that Welliton would cost similar money and for me is a far superior player.

I heard about it alright, I'd be shocked if he ended up there so didn't take it seriously.

I've probably mentioned in the past but I'm not entirely convinced of Welliton myself, maybe it's because the times I've viewed Spartak he's rather disappointed. A friend of mine is very big on him, he's Russian himself so watches a lot of the league more regularly than I would these days anyway. He'd love Arsenal to get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Read the United thread on here, some of them were certainly hoping that Sigurdsson would be looked at before they went in for Kagawa/Hazard. He's certainly a player of a high standard.

Indeed.

From United's last home game of the season:

article-2142270-12F5402E000005DC-87_468x286.jpg

28 goals conceded in 20 games, not great but not terrible!

But defensive performances can't be judged solely on stats. How much of Rafa's excellent defensive record is down to the protection provided by Masch and Alonso. Hodgson had inferiors midfielders leaving the defence much more exposed. I couldn't be bothered looking it up, but I'd bet we conceded more goals per game last season without Lucas than with him?!

So I don't think the defensive was any worse than the other areas of the team in that time. The whole team struggled due to factors I've mentioned! An improved team led to an improved defensive performance!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement