Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minerals - soda

Options
  • 27-03-2012 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I heard someone call fizzy drinks Minerals for the first time in ages, my question is if you are only having one drink would they call it Mineral, ie "i want a mineral"?

Go raibh maith agaibh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

Yes indeed. I heard people refer to a mineral (in the singular) - about 50 years ago!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Mystified wrote: »
    Yes indeed. I heard people refer to a mineral (in the singular) - about 50 years ago!
    More recently than that, surely?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

At dances in the 60's after dancing with a young lady the next level was to enquire if she would like a mineral. If offer accepted you were down about a shilling, but endless possibilities beckoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

usually pronounced "minnerdle"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I assume that the idea is that it was (originally) a mineral water with juice/flavour added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

muineachan wrote: »
    I heard someone call fizzy drinks Minerals for the first time in ages, my question is if you are only having one drink would they call it Mineral, ie "i want a mineral"?

Go raibh maith agaibh

Yep all the time... in the US it'd be a soda.

Advertisement