Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA books/dvds recommendations

• 29-12-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what mma books people have read and would recommend. The same goes for dvds etc.
    As part of my xmas present my gf got me "Got Fight" by Forrest Griffin http://www.amazon.com/Got-Fight-Principles-Hand-Face/dp/0061721719 I'm only half way through it but I'd highly recommend it. It's hilariously funny and he tells some great stories from his past and how he started out in mma. As I said I'm only halfway through it but so far it's been great.

So anybody recommend anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Couple of years ago my missus bought me Total MMA -Inside Ultimate Fighting by Jonathan Snowden.

It's a superb read and gives you a pretty good history of the sport and some of the arts involved.

I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

:D I hear that The Last Round by Randy Couture is a good read!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Couple of years ago my missus bought me Total MMA -Inside Ultimate Fighting by Jonathan Snowden.

It's a superb read and gives you a pretty good history of the sport and some of the arts involved.

I highly recommend it.

Cheers.
    I think I'll order that and read it once I'm finished this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Dean09 wrote: »
    I was just wondering what mma books people have read and would recommend. The same goes for dvds etc.
    As part of my xmas present my gf got me "Got Fight" by Forrest Griffin. I'm only half way through it but I'd highly recommend it. It's hilariously funny and he tells some great stories from his past and how he started out in mma. As I said I'm only halfway through it but so far it's been great.

ill get this in the new year. forrest has more than one book out hasnt he? his other one is be ready when the sh!t goes down. might get both maybe.

i got the ufc encyclopedia for xmas - some great info in it

sonic85 wrote: »
    ill get this in the new year. forrest has more than one book out hasnt he? his other one is be ready when the sh!t goes down. might get both maybe.

Yeah I'm planning on getting that one too. He's a funny bastard and the stuff he says in the book are all tongue in cheek but it's great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm not down with any books on the subject, but for dvd's try The Smashing Machine

NVG9544-03.jpg

I watched Jens Pulver: Driven but I was not really that passed on it, aside from the fantastic trailer, the film itself was a let down for me, others may disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

weemcd wrote: »
    I'm not down with any books on the subject, but for dvd's try The Smashing Machine

BIG +1 on The Smashing Machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

I would recommend Total MMA to anybody who hasn't read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bear in mind that this book has sod all to do with MMA though, it's Forrest's insane ramblings about how to survive a nuclear apocalypse! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

anybody ever read brocks autobiography? if so whats it like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

As far as DVD's, Driven by Jens Pulver is everything it claims to be. Very moving, very tough to find online, a mate of mine who's good at computers ended up getting it for me through some MMA fileshare website. Seriously powerful stuff, good story not necessarily one for an MMA fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Very little MMA i'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

I recommend Jens Pulver Driven. The scene in which he describes himself being in peak physical condition but mentally just not there really resonated. A very honest and human tale.

I feel like I have been waiting an eternity for the release date of Once I Was A Champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

DVD: Pride 2005 GP, absolutely immense. I picked it up for about 12 euro on Amazon and it was well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

RebelSoul wrote: »
    I recommend Jens Pulver Driven. The scene in which he describes himself being in peak physical condition but mentally just not there really resonated. A very honest and human tale.

I feel like I have been waiting an eternity for the release date of Once I Was A Champion.

Has this been realesed in Europe yet, looks very good and moving

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭samk1

Dvd - choke is awesome,you can pick it up online for about a tenner

books- ive read alot , but 1s that stand out are chucks , bj penns ,matt hughes, forrests(for obvious reasons to those of you who read it) and big johns which gives u alota of info on the start of the ufc you may never of known!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

00benski wrote: »
    Has this been realesed in Europe yet, looks very good and moving

Hasn't been released anywhere yet. It's been doing the rounds at film festivals for the past year. Getting great reviews aswell. That trailer alone moved me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I recommend Jens Pulver Driven.

Why didn't he call it 'Pulverised'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I read Tito Ortiz's biography...not very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Watched The Smashing Machine today - wow. Absolutely tremendous movie, and very well worth watching.

• Advertisement

Finally got around to watching The Smashing Machine.
    What a film! Fantastic stuff and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. Really powerful stuff.

And I finally ordered that "Total MMA" book last night too so I should have it on Wed/Thurs. Looking forward to reading that.

I've been trying to get Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA for ages.
    Tried ordering off the site but its won't let me. possibably due to location.

Any suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 The Voice of MMA

A fighters heart and a fighters mind by Sam sherdan...bj penns book is ok coutures first book isnt great either Liddells is the best apart from got fight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Pretty poor, very little insight into anything we didn't already know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Finally got around to watching The Smashing Machine.
    What a film! Fantastic stuff and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. Really powerful stuff.

And I finally ordered that "Total MMA" book last night too so I should have it on Wed/Thurs. Looking forward to reading that.

Absolutely great book. Some of the background stories are unbelievable although sometimes you can get the feeling he doesn't like the Gracies in it. You will definitely feel sorry for Tim Sylvia after reading this.

Mellor wrote: »

Any suggestions

I was looking to buy this a while ago myself and it seems to be only available from the site. I didn't try order it from there yet though.
    I searched ebay, Amazon, Gumtree, Donedeal.......you name it. Can't get it anywhere but the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mufc2011

As part of my xmas present my gf got me "Got Fight" by Forrest Griffin http://www.amazon.com/Got-Fight-Principles-Hand-Face/dp/0061721719 I'm only half way through it but I'd highly recommend it. It's hilariously funny and he tells some great stories from his past and how he started out in mma. As I said I'm only halfway through it but so far it's been great.

pride a decade of fighting or mark kerr smashing machine 2 good watches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Watched The Smashing Machine today - wow. Absolutely tremendous movie, and very well worth watching.

Thank you, watched it this evening.. Recommended and available on YT in two parts.. Defo one I'll watch again.

I was looking to buy this a while ago myself and it seems to be only available from the site. I didn't try order it from there yet though.
    I searched ebay, Amazon, Gumtree, Donedeal.......you name it. Can't get it anywhere but the site.
    Yeah, only the site from what I can see. I don't know is it my location or what the problem is but can't get the site to go to he order page. Was hoping for a digital copy even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 mufc2011

anyone no where i can watch pulvers documentry?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

I read Griffin, Liddell and Couture's Autobiography and would highly recommend all three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Mellor wrote: »

Any suggestions

You can use a proxy to change your location but you still may have shipping problems.

http://how-2-do.blogspot.com.au/2007/10/how-to-change-proxy-in-firefox.html

PM me if you need a hand

Just want to let everyone know that if you're interested, Jens Pulvers Driven, is available on the US Netflix now.
    Just about to watch it now myself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Sonnen's book can now be pre-ordered on amazon. Is a comedic 'self-help' type of book which from the description actually kind of sounds a bit like got fight. If nothing else it will likely be another fine lesson in trolling :)

I watched Driven last night on Netflix and I'd recommend it to everyone.
    It's an in depth look inside the mind of Pulver in the lead up to a fight and it's basically his struggle with himself. He seems to be extremely emotionally damaged as a result of his relationship with his father and he is constantly battling with it. He breaks down in tears a good few times during the documentary and its kind of a depressing story at times but well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

bj-penn-book.jpg

Read this recently, pretty decent book... interesting insight into the early zuffa years and BJ's relationship with Dana White albeit an extremely biased version of events from BJ's point of view..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

CageWager wrote: »
    bj-penn-book.jpg

Half way through reading this book and I'm really enjoying it.

Also I picked up the DVD Choke for only £3.00 on Amazon and thought it was brilliant.

I liked Chuck Liddell's book as well but not so much Brock Lesnars.

Thought it was far 2 short and he has now contradicted everything he said in the book about him been the only one who could get away from the WWE :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

I read Griffin, Liddell and Couture's Autobiography and would highly recommend all three.

Forrests book is a great read, not exactly challenging but very entertaining.

Liddells book is garbage, and I actually felt awkward reading it, full of "im the biggest/baddest/sexiest/coolest etc mofo on the planet" bullsh.it.

I would recommend Clyde Gentry's "No Holds Barred". It's a really interesting read about the early days of the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AllianceBJJ Ireland

Liddells book is garbage, and I actually felt awkward reading it, full of "im the biggest/baddest/sexiest/coolest etc mofo on the planet" bullsh.it.

I was just about to write that :). Liddels book is ridiculous tough guy nonesense... to be avoided.

BJ Penns book is fairly poor too. He seems a bit deluded at times. The whole falling out with Ralph Gracie section is just weird.

Matt Hughes book is probably the worst of the bunch. He comes across as a tosser, and a creep. The way he describes meeting his wife is outragous and would get you arrested in most countries.Here's an amusing Synopsis that will save you the ordeal of reading the entire book.
    I would recommend Clyde Gentry's "No Holds Barred". It's a really interesting read about the early days of the sport

"No Holds Barred" was an excellent book and very well written. I found it hard to put down once I got started. "Title Shot: Inside the Shark Tank of MMA" was a reasonable read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

i watched "the man in the arena" yesterday its a little known documentery about spencer fisher leading up to his fight at ufc 78.Its only available on youtube ,and the only drawback is u dont get to see his fight at the end as zuffa are assholes when it comes to copywrite still worth a watch tho!

Occupation: Fighter is available now on the US netflix for anyone who's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Occupation: Fighter is available now on the US netflix for anyone who's interested.

For anyone that's seen it, would you recommend watching it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

For anyone that's seen it, would you recommend watching it?

I watched it earlier tonight. Not great to be honest. You wouldn't be missing out on anything if you didn't watch it.
    Something to pass the time if you've nothing else to watch.

Jon Fitchs documentary "Such Great Heights" is on the US Netflix now for anybody who's sick to death of Xmas TV!

Another heads up lads.....
    Anderson Silvas documentary "Like Water" is available now on the US Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think GSP has a book out in the coming weeks or months, im sure that would be worth a read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Big johns books (lets get it on) is pretty good, some great info on the evolution of UFC,
    I didn't realize he was so involved behind the scenes (at the beginning at least)

anyone read Chale Sonnens book?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

I read a Vip guide to enlightenment and got fight by forrest both are very funny

• Advertisement
Advertisement