Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda advice

Options
  • 12-07-2012 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi.

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

A garda took my name and address over a year ago ( i was drunk on the street, not harming anybody) and I was wondering if this case will go to court or anything. I wasnt arrested or taken to a garda station so do you think I just got off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Hi.

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

A garda took my name and address over a year ago ( i was drunk on the street, not harming anybody) and I was wondering if this case will go to court or anything. I wasnt arrested or taken to a garda station so do you think I just got off?

Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Course you got off.

HAppened me years ago. Stopped and found with drink and drugs. Crapped myself for weeks after. Nothing came of it thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I'd go on the run if I was you...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Were you balanced unhappily and that's how he knew you were drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭HappyBalance

sorry if it sounds stupid but I have been pretty worried.

just for the record, do you have to be charged in a garda station for a case to go to court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I can get you a fake passport to gain you entry to Mayo, from there you are on your own. Honestly a drunk person in Ireland, These days!!! what is the world coming to.

Seriously though he just wanted to know who you were, so if you caused any trouble later he could find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

just for the record, do you have to be charged in a garda station for a case to go to court?

YES and also the time limit for bringing such a case has probably elapsed, (though probably better to seek legal advise for €???) then taking anything I say as FACT.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Did you get in trouble since ? If not then it worked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Well I imagine there would have to have been some follow up - letter in the post , something he wrote down and gave to you at the time.

I think he was just getting your details and blowing a bit of smoke up you so you'd be on your merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could be summonsed directly. However, a summons would likely need to be applied for within 6 months of the event. You would not necessarily hear of it when it was applied for.

Realistically, it is unlikely to be a problem.
    YES and also the time limit for bringing such a case has probably elapsed, (though probably better to seek legal advise for €???) then taking anything I say as FACT.
    Wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm not a solicitor or a doctor but you are not going to be charged and I recommend you take some blue tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Hmmm only over a year ago? If I was you I'd find a safehouse somewhere, maybe with a distant relative, and just lay low for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The same happened to me, but i gave a fake name and address, I must've paused or something, because he was able to tell. Pretended to have database attached to the station, and told me the name i gave doesn't live there..

Eventually gave my real name and address, 4 years later, nothing came of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Victor wrote: »
    You could be summonsed directly. However, a summons would likely need to be applied for within 6 months of the event. You would not necessarily hear of it when it was applied for.

Realistically, it is unlikely to be a problem.

Wrong.
    Could you elaborate?

When it's applied for does that mean it's in the pipeworks or is there some document sent to the garda to use when he sees fit?

Don't really understand how there could be a 6 month gap between the application and receiving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Don't worry about it. It's not worth the anxiety that's the real sentence... that you're concerned is good, but you can stop now.

And wait for that letter to arrive...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

humbert wrote: »
    Could you elaborate?

When it's applied for does that mean it's in the pipeworks or is there some document sent to the garda to use when he sees fit?

Don't really understand how there could be a 6 month gap between the application and receiving it.

The garda applies to the court for a summons. I imagine the court issues it reasonably promptly. However, the garda doesn't need to serve the summons immediately. However, if a year has gone by, it is likely that the matter has been dropped (this wouldn't be guaranteed if they couldn't find you or it was a more serious matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Every day that goes by is a day closer to your day in court OP... A fake passport and Australia is your only hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Better go on the run or you'll end up like this poster......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056691952

He was due to go into the joy 6 days ago and everyone said he'd be out in a few hours. Afraid to say that there's been no word from him since. If I were you I either run to the hills (with at least 6 months worth of food and water) or stock up on ky and start stretching the chocolate starfish.

Best of luck - my heart goes out to ya dude.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I got one after about 12-14 months for something rediciolus. Went to court and Garda said I haven't been in trouble since and was then sent home.

Complete waste of everyone's time it's changed now though OP you'll have to go AA meetings and be banned from drinking for 3-5 years and if you're caught in that timeframe it's mountjoy for you..

Advertisement