Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Server, shared hosting or is there middle ground?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I wanted a little more freedom when developing sites than I had been getting up to now with shared hosting. One thing I wanted was to be able to put a common library on my server and be able to access the libraries with in it from any website I have hosted on the server. Easily done with full root access to a server. I could create a soft link to my common library from any site.

So I set up my own server, I'm not sure if I can mention with who so it is the service offered by the likes of Linode and Digital Ocean where you can set up your own Linux droplet. I now had a linux box with full root access. I am no Linux guru but I figured I had enough to get by.

However I have got a few emails about various vulnerabilities that I need to to protect against shellshock and the POODLE SSLv3 Vulnerability to name 2.

This brought it home to me what I was taking on - the responsibility of having to administer my own server. If I make an apache change that causes the apache server to go down then I need to get it back up pronto, basically I am on call 24/7. There was no 3rd party involved here, the buck stopped with me. For someone who has a day job that started to look like a really bad idea.

I am just wondering what route others have chosen? Is there any middle ground between shared hosting and having a server with full root access (and associated responsibility).

If there general advice / replies and or just want to add to the discussion post a reply. If you have any recommendations then maybe if you could DM me as I know hosting service provider recommendations are against forum rules.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

serverpilot.io gives you a packaged linux install/control panel and they look after the updates to the O/S packages etc. Free for one server/single user acc (NOT A HOSTING COMPANY).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dahayeser

Thanks Graham that looks very useful.

Have you experience this them yourself?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

dahayeser wrote: »
    Thanks Graham that looks very useful.

Have you experience this them yourself?

Have 2 servers running it and I'm integrating a service via their API. Delighted so far. They're still small enough that you're likely to get one of the founders if you need them.

Advertisement