Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant and repeating a year

Options
  • 01-10-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

My friend failed 2 modules in his 2nd year, and failed the summer repeats. It was decided that he couldn't carry the modules into 3rd year, so he is repeating 2nd year.

Just wondering, what happens to the grant? Is it stopped until he goes to 3rd year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Just wondering, what happens to the grant? Is it stopped until he goes to 3rd year?

Yes the grant is stopped until they progress into year 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

My friend failed 2 modules in his 2nd year, and failed the summer repeats. It was decided that he couldn't carry the modules into 3rd year, so he is repeating 2nd year.

I think normally it is stopped but in my case I re-applied for the grant in June, SUSI emailed me back saying they would check back with the College in August/September to confirm my registration and progression but now it ended up that I have had to repeat a year and was awarded the grant aswell strangely enough and got my first payment the other day. My status on the Susi website still states that I have been awarded but i havent touched the money yet as I am confused and unsure whether its a mistake or not.

Miall108 wrote: »
    whether its a mistake or not.

I am afraid, it is a mistake and the may seek to recoup of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Sup08 wrote: »
    I am afraid, it is a mistake and the may seek to recoup of the money.

How long will it take until I know? Its been 8 days now since I got the grant and Ive still heard nothing

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    How long will it take until I know? Its been 8 days now since I got the grant and Ive still heard nothing

It's up to you if you want to contact them but it may be a while before it's noticed or when the college informs them you are repeating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Do SUSI know you are repeating though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

My friends grant is stopped until his third year. I think you should tell SUSI you are repeating, because you're not meant to get the grant. Email or message them on FB seems to be the quickest way to get a response :)

Advertisement