Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Discs Converter

Options
  • 13-01-2015 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm creating a database archive system for a client. They have provided me with material on mini discs and I need to convert them into MP3's (or equivalent). Anyone have any ideas on how to convert them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Nolic wrote: »
    I'm creating a database archive system for a client. They have provided me with material on mini discs and I need to convert them into MP3's (or equivalent). Anyone have any ideas on how to convert them?

I've never come across a way to do that. The few discs I did I had to record in real time into my laptop and convert from wav to mp3. Of course maybe someone here knows better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sony had software that would read from and write to their minidisc walkmans over USB. Might be worth checking that out?

After you get it on to your PC, something like Audacity can convert it for you, once you install the Lame plugin.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

Mordeith, How do you record into real time? I quite new to all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

Sony had software that would read from and write to their minidisc walkmans over USB. Might be worth checking that out?

After you get it on to your PC, something like Audacity can convert it for you, once you install the Lame plugin.

What's the name of the software?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What's the name of the software?

Think it was Sony Sonic Stage. But wouldn't have used it for a very long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Mordeith, How do you record into real time? I quite new to all this.

First off download Audacity. It's free.
    You will need a double ended 3.5mm lead. Very cheap. Connect one end to headphone socket of mini disc player, other end to Mic/line in of laptop.
    Press play on mini disc and record in Audacity. Keep an eye on the waveform as it records (just for a few seconds) to make sure volume isn't too high or low
    Of course if you can get the conversion software all above is moot ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭civitano

The methods above create analog copies of the md.

Sonicstage software will allow you to copy content from your pc to md but not from md to pc, unless it originated from that pc in the first place. Digital rights management it is.

To digitally copy the content of md to pc you will need software such as win nmd and a net md deck.

Advertisement