Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Practical Lesson Planning

• 12-10-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Of course we all do lesson planning in our own way but someone pointed out that my own personal plans may need to include more written detail than they do.

Does anyone have any advice? What do inspectors want to see in you personal planning? Anyone have a lesson plan template that you use? My lesson plans for college and formal lesson observations in England were always at least two pages and that isnt feasible in everyday teaching.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I can send you a template if you like from my PDE. I saved it and just took the college name off it and use it myself. 2 pages and fill in the boxes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    I can send you a template if you like from my PDE. I saved it and just took the college name off it and use it myself. 2 pages and fill in the boxes!

But thats still two pages!! It isnt conceivable that anyone on even part time hours would do a two page lesson plan for every lesson on top of marking and organising resources.

At the moment my lesson planning consists of main aim, what the introduction activity looks like, main activity and to finish up do this. Also I highlight any instances when differentiation was used but its still just a paragraph.

Just wondering what I'm missing..

Well to be honest it can be done on one page and you can do them quick enough. I like to have myself covered just in case anyways but I do agree on the shorter the better! I double space everything so that's why I said two pages. You could easily fit it all on one.

In mine I include Learning Outcomes, Resources used in class, Assessment and Feedback, Cross Curricular Themes, ICT, EAL, GAT and SEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Mine wouldn't be anywhere near that long. Possibly they're too short as well, I don't know! I would have something similar to you Aunt Aggie, main aim and objectives, start middle and end, and homework given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

From the ASTI site:

Subject Inspection: "It is expected that teachers will be able to indicate to inspectors a broad written plan of their work on a termly and yearly basis. However, it is not necessary that teachers prepare individual written lesson plans for the purpose of subject inspection". Also "Evaluation will not be prescriptive as to methodologies and must recognise individual teaching and learning styles and individual teaching approaches in accordance with the diverse needs of different pupils"

Whole school evaluation: " During school and classroom visits the inspectors observe teaching and learning, interact with pupils, engage in discussion with teachers, and examine planning documents."

Incidental inspections: "Classroom observation will focus primarily on evaluating the quality of learning and teaching. Requests for documentation are kept to a minimum. While there is an expectation that teachers are able to present their written plans of work on a termly and yearly basis, inspectors base their evaluation of preparedness principally on the content, structure, pacing , methodology and assessment procedures of the lessons observed."

Don't make a cross for your own back - plan in a way that is useful to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    In mine I include Learning Outcomes, Resources used in class, Assessment and Feedback, Cross Curricular Themes, ICT, EAL, GAT and SEN.

For every lesson?!

I teach 1st year to LC English on a full timetable and that is nuts! I wouldn't have time to teach if I did that.

We have a broad dept long term (yearly) plan, I do fairly detailed medium term plans and follow them. After every class (when I think of it) I write down a note on what was covered and hw in my teacher's diary. I've been through 2 subject inspections and this was fine, they don't even ask for them half the time. I volunteered them because so much work had gone into them.

We had a recent inspection on another subject in our school and the only comment on similar plans was that they add in resources used, so if someone came in subbing, they'd be able to pick up.

The job is fecking hard enough and I see the necessity for planning, but you can't do everything!

For every lesson?!

I teach 1st year to LC English on a full timetable and that is nuts! I wouldn't have time to teach if I did that.

We have a broad dept long term (yearly) plan, I do fairly detailed medium term plans and follow them. After every class (when I think of it) I write down a note on what was covered and hw in my teacher's diary. I've been through 2 subject inspections and this was fine, they don't even ask for them half the time. I volunteered them because so much work had gone into them.

We had a recent inspection on another subject in our school and the only comment on similar plans was that they add in resources used, so if someone came in subbing, they'd be able to pick up.

The job is fecking hard enough and I see the necessity for planning, but you can't do everything!

Oh no its only like a bullet point or something small on each. the head of our department with Irish is a stickler and kind of insists we have planning done. There wouldn't be a whole pile of info in them either just the bare of whats going on.

I agree with you though- i hate doing them but am just so used to it now. In the first year I was teaching I wanted to make a good impression so just did plans for everything. I think though because I am the youngest in the Irish department they probably are offloading it on me because all of the plans have to go onto a shared network and mine are the only ones more or less shared! They always have me to fall back on for ideas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Implausible you make me feel so much better

I personally dont see the point of writing HW or resources used on my plans because everything is in my planner or on my laptop. I don't see the point of writing everything down three times!

Do you think planning requirements are more based on the school norm rather than what inspectors are looking for?

Advertisement