Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uncertifies sick leave

• 03-10-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I am a secondary school teacher and took an uncertified sick day this week.I have been suffering from a bad dose of a heavy cold and just could not face work on day I took a rest.Just want to get simple clarification as to how many uncertified sick days am entitled too and over what time frame.Have asked various people but am getting conflicting answers
    Looked up the circular but reading through so much info that havnt seen anything about uncertified sick leave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

You are entitled to 7 self-certified sick days in a rolling two years.
    If you took a day today, they would count back two years from today's date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭acequion

It's actually rather confusing. How many certified sick days do we have in a rolling 3 year period? I heard something about 92 days in a year,but is that actually 92 days over 3 years? As in if you take,say,52 days in year one,does that mean you have only 42 left for for the following two years before going over your quota on full pay?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify? I know it's on the ASTI site, but if anyone happens to have it off the top of their heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    You are entitled to 7 self-certified sick days in a rolling two years.
    If you took a day today, they would count back two years from today's date.

We were told that the period of two years starts from the first uncertified day you take.....so if you havnt taken one already your 7 days begins with the one you took this week !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

solerina wrote: »
    We were told that the period of two years starts from the first uncertified day you take.....so if you havnt taken one already your 7 days begins with the one you took this week !!

Yes, that's what I meant.
    It will start as soon as you take one:
    Apologies for the confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

acequion wrote: »
    It's actually rather confusing. How many certified sick days do we have in a rolling 3 year period? I heard something about 92 days in a year,but is that actually 92 days over 3 years? As in if you take,say,52 days in year one,does that mean you have only 42 left for for the following two years before going over your quota on full pay?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify? I know it's on the ASTI site, but if anyone happens to have it off the top of their heads?

Actually I think it's a rolling 4 year period, but yes the rest of what you said is correct. So if you go on certified sick leave today 3rd October, whether you are entitled to full pay, half pay or no pay will be determined by how many certified sick leave days you took between 4th October 2010 and 3rd October 2014.

A bit like penalty points accumulating and expiring after 3 years rolling period.

Further to that, pregnancy related sick leave now counts as 'normal sick leave', so for women that do have a rough time of it the days can rack up very quickly.

• Advertisement

Actually I think it's a rolling 4 year period, but yes the rest of what you said is correct. So if you go on certified sick leave today 3rd October, whether you are entitled to full pay, half pay or no pay will be determined by how many certified sick leave days you took between 4th October 2010 and 3rd October 2014.

A bit like penalty points accumulating and expiring after 3 years rolling period.

Further to that, pregnancy related sick leave now counts as 'normal sick leave', so for women that do have a rough time of it the days can rack up very quickly.

Thanks for that, rainbowtrout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Hi quick question on this.

I've been looking at the new certified sick leave arrangements. Is it 365 days allowed within a rolling four year period?

I've been looking at the circular but it focuses on personal injury or critical illness naturally enough so I am just wondering just on the occasional illness that you get a cert from your gp, is that included and capped in the 365 days? I mean is it counted the same as the personal injury and critical illness certified leave? Sorry the English on that's probably not great, I'm pretty tired as I'm writing this. :(

Second question is then if your children are sick or need operations what is the best thing to do? I usually just sent in a cert from the gp or hospital saying I was unavailable for work because child was sick/in hospital etc. Before all these new arrangements that's what my vp told me to do because the department don't differentiate between certs. I'm wondering if there is a better way of managing this so I'm not ramping up sick days when the kids are sick? :eek: Or is it unavoidable?

Tried ringing the dept but they are unavailable till half 2! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

theLuggage wrote: »
    Hi quick question on this.

I've been looking at the new certified sick leave arrangements. Is it 365 days allowed within a rolling four year period?

I've been looking at the circular but it focuses on personal injury or critical illness naturally enough so I am just wondering just on the occasional illness that you get a cert from your gp, is that included and capped in the 365 days? I mean is it counted the same as the personal injury and critical illness certified leave? Sorry the English on that's probably not great, I'm pretty tired as I'm writing this. :(

Second question is then if your children are sick or need operations what is the best thing to do? I usually just sent in a cert from the gp or hospital saying I was unavailable for work because child was sick/in hospital etc. Before all these new arrangements that's what my vp told me to do because the department don't differentiate between certs. I'm wondering if there is a better way of managing this so I'm not ramping up sick days when the kids are sick? :eek: Or is it unavoidable?

Tried ringing the dept but they are unavailable till half 2! :rolleyes:

No...it used to be 365 days in a rolling 4 year period, now its 3 months of full pay followed by 3 months of half pay in a rolling 4 year period.
    I would imaging that you need certs for yourself when your children are sick as we are only allowed 7 days uncertified sick leave days now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

anyone considering payment protection?

I have a feeling the premiums and new entrance criteria will become harsher because more people become sicker quicker and start putting pressure on payouts (for long term illnesses).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i have it, works out ok and nice to have the security. Particularly if I went out sick and husbands pay couldn't keep us going.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    i have it, works out ok and nice to have the security. Particularly if I went out sick and husbands pay couldn't keep us going.

What is it and how does it differ from salary protection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same thing, you get 75% of your pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

If say my first certified sick was in a January but my first uncertified was in a May what month do you count from? Are they treated separately? (So jan-jan over 4 years for certified and may to may over 2 years for uncertified?)

Advertisement