Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on how to get Chrome / firefox on old laptop

Options
  • 30-01-2015 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice / suggestions on how to get Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer 7 / 8 / or 9 onto an old laptop - a windows XP Home edition with Service pack 3 , currently running Internet Explorer 6.

I have tried downloading it directly from the net, but it won't work - I can only get to the download page, but clicking download and nothing happens. I tried also downloading the installer on a usb from a different computer and tried running it, but while it seemed to start running it then stopped and came upwith a message box saying the hardware was incompatible.

So - would anyone be able to direct me to links where I can download a full version of Google Chrome, Or a later version of Internet Explorer or Mozilla that I can download onto a USb and download it onto the laptop.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Probably not wise running Windows XP at all for security reasons. Does Windows Update not install a newer version of IE on SP3 machines?

What spec is the computer? A lot of these browsers will end up being pigs on older machines seeing that they are quite bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

you can only upgrade IE to a ceratin level(7 i think) and then all later IE versions are not compatable with XP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Probably not wise running Windows XP at all for security reasons. Does Windows Update not install a newer version of IE on SP3 machines?

What spec is the computer? A lot of these browsers will end up being pigs on older machines seeing that they are quite bloated.

I have an older machine on xp with service pack 3 and yeah chrome and Firefox shaft it totally, even without any extensions or add-ons.

Sp3 upgrades IE if I remember correctly but not sure why you can't get chrome or Firefox. Is the machine that old or have low specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

http://www.oldapps.com/

Downloaded IE8 from here had to install on old machine yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I find that Firefox works as well on an old XP machine as it does on later operating systems. But there again I don't have any bloatware whatsoever (OS, manufacture or third party) on any of my machines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement