Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IP address question

Options
  • 29-01-2015 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hi, bit of a novice here and struggling so thought I'd ask.

Just got UPC 240MB and all working fine, WiFi is spot on and have it run to TV's using smart plugs.

My issue is I don't want the kids and their pals directly on the UPC modem so that I can change keys and disconnect them when they bug me. So I brought home a Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H High Power ADSL modem and router. It was sitting unused after upgrading to efibre in the office.

Plugged it into the UPC modem and away it went, WiFi working, logged on using its old WiFi key no problem. Perfect - exactly what I want so went to change the SSID and WiFi key and I can't access the web config page. Its like its invisible?? I can access the UPC modem with its IP address but any other one I try won't connect.

Screenshot of IP info below if anyone can advice - Thanks and sorry of its a dumb question.

IPCapture_zps0a5cd21f.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

traco wrote: »
    Hi, bit of a novice here and struggling so thought I'd ask.

Just got UPC 240MB and all working fine, WiFi is spot on and have it run to TV's using smart plugs.

My issue is I don't want the kids and their pals directly on the UPC modem so that I can change keys and disconnect them when they bug me. So I brought home a Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H High Power ADSL modem and router. It was sitting unused after upgrading to efibre in the office.

Plugged it into the UPC modem and away it went, WiFi working, logged on using its old WiFi key no problem. Perfect - exactly what I want so went to change the SSID and WiFi key and I can't access the web config page. Its like its invisible?? I can access the UPC modem with its IP address but any other one I try won't connect.

Screenshot of IP info below if anyone can advice - Thanks and sorry of its a dumb question.

IPCapture_zps0a5cd21f.jpg

What subnet is the buffalo on ?
    Did you try connecting to it while on the UPC wifi or buffalo wifi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭traco

No idea what subnet its on or what that is.

I did try to connect via cable directly to it but could not access the config page that way either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Maybe you could try resetting the router - it may be configured for a different network. Failing that flash it with Open-Wrt (an OS that lets you configure the router the way you want)

No idea what subnet its on or what that is.

I did try to connect via cable directly to it but could not access the config page that way either

The subnet would be gathered from the IP address you are using to attempt to connect to web config page.

Disconnect the buffalo from the UPC router and connect directly to it using wifi or Ethernet and run IPconfig again.

It's likely on a differnt subnet which will have to be changed and you'll also need to disable DHCP on the buffalo once it's on the same network as the UPC modem.

OK - I'll do that and see what happens. Here is some more IP info that I got in case its of any help. Tried them all and no joy though.

IPCapture02_zps66967b5c.jpg

• Advertisement

OK - I'll do that and see what happens. Here is some more IP info that I got in case its of any help. Tried them all and no joy though.

IPCapture02_zps66967b5c.jpg

That's still only giving the arp table of the UPC network.

I'm guessing the buffalo will be either a 192.168.1.x or 10.x.x.x address

OK, I could reset it back to defaults but will there be much to get it to work or is it simply a case of plugging it in and set up the wifi stuff.

I disconnected from the UPC and hooked up, ipconfig info and also the windows details below. Tried them all and no joy with either one

IPCapture03_zpsf9daf0ce.jpg

IPCapture04_zpsbacc7b31.jpg

OK, I could reset it back to defaults but will there be much to get it to work or is it simply a case of plugging it in and set up the wifi stuff.

I disconnected from the UPC and hooked up, ipconfig info and also the windows details below. Tried them all and no joy with either one

IPCapture03_zpsf9daf0ce.jpg

IPCapture04_zpsbacc7b31.jpg

You don't seem to be getting any IP now.

I'd advise you go ahead and reset the device.

Doing this should give you access to change the subnet (if needed) and disable DHCP.

Reset button so I suppose

Reset button so I suppose

Default IP should be written on the modem somewhere.

A fast Google indicates it maybe 192.168.11.1

Which is a different subnet than the UPC modem. So it will need changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

You will have to connect to it via an ethernet cable not wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

An ADSL modem /router isn't really what you want. A wireless access point would be preferable.
    It's by default going to have a configuration assuming that traffic is meant to leave by the phone port.

But, if you look at it's manual pg 33.
    it's default IP is 192.168.11.1
    http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/network-devices/300mbps-wireless-n/routers/airstation-nfiniti-high-power-gigabit-broadband-adsl2-modem-router/

If you want it to be contactable on the UPC network, you'll need to set it's IP manually to one on the UPC subnet,
    LAN side ip address 192.168.0.250 / 255.255.255.0
    DHCP server off.
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS 192.168.0.1 (or just to confirm the dns value, run ipconfig /all on the laptop while connected to the UPC)
    WINS and domain name can be left unspecified.

To configure it you're supposed to use the wired port.

Thanks for al the help lads.

Reset it and set up the WiFi etc, didn't bother with all the IP settings yet but logged on from ipad and laptop all at same time with no problems. I'm not bother about connected via cable to alter it if needed but may revist the settings again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

You should run the buffalo with a different subnet from your UPC. set your subnet mask on both units to 255.255.0.0, this will allow connection between them.

I have seen many weird problems with machines that continuously reuse the same ip on different networks. (192.168.1.x)

Or you can assign DHCP on the main router to leave a block free for use by the other router. Maybe also assign fixed ip's to all your own devices, then nobody else can take the same ones.

whizbang wrote: »
    You should run the buffalo with a different subnet from your UPC. set your subnet mask on both units to 255.255.0.0, this will allow connection between them.

I have seen many weird problems with machines that continuously reuse the same ip on different networks. (192.168.1.x)

Or you can assign DHCP on the main router to leave a block free for use by the other router. Maybe also assign fixed ip's to all your own devices, then nobody else can take the same ones.

Thanks, will have a look a again on he weekend. I'm only semi literate on these things and the Buffalo has mountains of config options so once I get them working I tend to leave them alone

The UPC IP is 192.168.0.1 and the Bufalo is 192.168.11.1 - when they start assigning IPs do they increase the last digit? Would the 11 and the 1 in the third space not keep them apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Yes they will be totally separate. It sounds like its working fine for you at the moment.
    I like the idea of keeping them separate, but if both routers are broadcasting wifi, the kids will find a way to connect to both..
    When you have 40 of them in the house, you need to go and hide somewhere with your (own, personal) internet..

Right - thought I'd update on this.

I didn't change the Buffalo to a different subnet etc just to see what would happen. It will all work fine for a few days and then basically lock up. Rebooting teh UPC router sorts the issue so I'm guessing there are IP conflicts arising so I'll need to sort it.

The system as it stands is confirgured as follows
    UPC - Cable connection to Devola 500 Hotplug with its counterpart WiFi version in teh back of the house and a CAT5 to a Samsung
    UPC - Cable connection to Samsung Smart DVD player in front room beside the UPC router
    UPC - Cable connection to the Buffalo for Kids/Visitors to access internet
    UPC - WiFi connection available to me and Mrs Traco on laptops and iPhones etc but nobody else

Buffalo - WiFi for kids and others

Devolo in back of the house has WiFi but not really used as the position of the UPC router is better than the Eircom one when I bought it.

Connection errors are random via WiFi but very seldom see problems on the TV and DVD - perhaps as they are hardwired.

Goinng to have a look at the subnet as suggested and see if I can set it up

Advertisement