Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chromecast

Options
  • 16-12-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys i wonder is there anyone here that could help me out. I purchased chromecast today and i have vodafone router and it dosnt work. Its says chromcast cant communicate or something like that. What should i do. And please explain simple way ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

plug it out and try again. sometimes happens to me. also if it is still the same make sure you have good reception

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

The first thing to do is to Connect your Chromecast to a HDMI port on the TV, you need to browse to this port on your TV before setting up. Use the Source button on your TV remote control to access the correct HDMI port, this is most important, otherwise it won't work.

Chromecast needs to be connected powered, if the TV has a USB port you may be able to use that to power it. Sometimes though, the USB doesn't supply enough power so it's safer to have it connected to the mains. The light will flash when it's powered up.

It shouldn't matter what router you have it should find your Chromecast. When you run setup using the Chromecast app should find your wifi network when it scans so make sure that the network is on and you have your network password handy.

Also make sure that it's YOUR network it's trying to connect to. When it scans it will have ALL the wifi networks nearby listed, that's if they are any near you. Sometimes that can be the problem, you are trying to connect to the wrong network.

You also need the Chrome browser, installed on your computer as it won't work with Windows Internet Explorer

Instructions to set up on Windows, it's similar for Android, IOS too

To set up Chromecast using your Windows computer; Windows 7 & higher:

1 Install the Chromecast App on your Windows machine by navigating to google.com/chromecast/setup

2 Save the file or run it once it is downloaded. If you choose to save the file, you will need to double click on the file to begin the installation process.

3 Run the Chromecast app and select the Chromecast device you want to set up from the list

4 follow the prompts on the screen to complete the setup of your Chromecast, e.g. select the network, enter the network password and so on

This is a good video on YouTube about setting up Chromecast:

youtube.com/watch?v=oIf-TzADCmg i

It gives very detailed step by step instructions. I had to leave out the www as I'm not allowed to post URL's

If you have any trouble the name of the video is:
    How to Use Google Chromecast: Full Setup and Demonstration

If you copy that and paste it into the search box on YouTube you will get the video too.

Chromecast a great way of getting your videos onto a bigger screen and you are not limited to YouTube, Netflix etc.

I can play any videos on my laptop whether avi, mp4, mpg, mpeg, flv and many more formats so long as you have a player to run them on your computer

You use the 'Cast Entire Screen Experimental' option which I've just found out about today after much searching. Chrome will only play MP4 videos so had I not found this I'd have to spend ages converting all my videos to MP4 format. This feature isn't advertised much, I only came across it by accident

Good luck, hope you get connected

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can use Videostream to play videos on your CC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Skerries wrote: »
    you can use Videostream to play videos on your CC

Is that as good as Plex?
    As i was having trouble recognising the wifi, but hopefully with the details above, it should help me, when i get time over the w/end.

Is it optional when plugging it in?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Any way to cast Bluestacks from the PC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

jaytobe wrote: »
    Any way to cast Bluestacks from the PC?

I've done this with Kodi/Xbmc installed in windows simply by opening chrome and in the cast button selecting "cast entire screen" or something similar.

Just minimise Chrome after you have done this (don't close it or it will probably stop casting ) and it should work..

Instructions here

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Thanks johnnybmac didn't see that drop down.

It says this casting option is (experimental). I tried with Bluestacks running video and it works but quality much reduced compared to a web page cast and sound a bit muffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thinking of getting one of these for a relative. He wants to cast websites that stream video/audio from his PC to his TV.

When you cast your desktop and then Chrome through the Chromecast, when you play a streaming video on a website will it also cast the audio through the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

If you go directly onto YouTube site and click on the Cast icon then you will play the sound on your TV, however if you go through Chrome the sound will play on your computer/laptop.

I just tried this out on my Windows laptop and this is how it turned out.

I don't know how many other sites that the sound will play on the TV but YouTube will.

What happens is that when you go onto YouTube and cast it actually uses your wifi connection to connect your TV to the internet directly.

In essence it turns your ordinary TV into a 'Smart TV'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Quick question on the Chromecast...

If I play a video (e.g. AVI saved onto laptop) through Chromecast, does this stream via the Wireless network?

I'm on 3 mobile broadband (with limited monthly allowance) so not sure it's worth it if I'm using my data allowance to stream videos from laptop!

• Advertisement
Advertisement