Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prevent a programme to keep trying to install on boot

Options
  • 19-01-2015 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    my nephew downloaded a programme (Advanced System Optimizer), and installed it, but it came up with errors on installation. Now every time my PC boots (Win7) the programme starts installation. I can remove it via Add/Remove programmes in control panel, but no difference. It's very annoying having to cancel every time. Thanks :)
    Jimi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

MrJimi wrote: »
    Hi,
    my nephew downloaded a programme (Advanced System Optimizer), and installed it, but it came up with errors on installation. Now every time my PC boots (Win7) the programme starts installation. I can remove it via Add/Remove programmes in control panel, but no difference. It's very annoying having to cancel every time. Thanks :)
    Jimi

Have you deleted the installation package itself? Should be in downloads folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Have a look in msconfig on the startup menu to see if the program is listed there, should be able to disable it if it is.

Or go into programs files and delete the files/folder there, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Or restore to a earlier date (System Restore). Or investigate autostart items with Ccleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Download IObit Uninstaller http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.php ...far more powerful than windows removal

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MrJimi

mordeith wrote: »
    Have you deleted the installation package itself? Should be in downloads folder.

Yes mordeith I have, that's why I'm so puzzled

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Or restore to a earlier date (System Restore). Or investigate autostart items with Ccleaner.

Thx bonzodog, tried that too, Ccleaner tells me 'Error2 - cannot find the File specified

Zorba wrote: »
    Have a look in msconfig on the startup menu to see if the program is listed there, should be able to disable it if it is.

Or go into programs files and delete the files/folder there, if any.

thanks Zorba; I ran msconfig, no entry in startup, can't find anything in program files & program files (x86). Makes me wonder if I should reinstall win7, the system is 3 years old now

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Nope.

The installation file has probably extracted an msi to a temp location on your disk or something of the sort.

If you're trying to remove a program and can not find it in the StartUp it may be launching from one of the registry keys below. To remove it, delete the value associated with the program you want to remove.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

It may also be loaded from the [Load] or [Run] sections of your WIN.INI file, found in the Windows directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It could also be in the startup folder, click Start/All Programs/Startup (yellow folder). If you see the installation program, just right-click it and delete.

Nope.

The installation file has probably extracted an msi to a temp location on your disk or something of the sort.

If you're trying to remove a program and can not find it in the StartUp it may be launching from one of the registry keys below. To remove it, delete the value associated with the program you want to remove.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

It may also be loaded from the [Load] or [Run] sections of your WIN.INI file, found in the Windows directory.

ObeyTheSuit, thank you. Just ran regedit and couldn't find anything in the 'run' and 'run once' entries. My registry doesn't have the following entries:

and I don't have a WIN.INI (WIN7). but you're propably right, must be somewhere in the Registry.

Thanks again :) Jimi

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    It could also be in the startup folder, click Start/All Programs/Startup (yellow folder). If you see the installation program, just right-click it and delete.

Hi coylemj, thank you, nowt there either,

Jimi

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Download IObit Uninstaller ww,iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.php ...far more powerful than windows removal

Hi sonofenoch, thanks, no joy either

Jimi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi sonofenoch, thanks, no joy either

Jimi

Maybe its malware. Download malwarebytes and run a scan

mordeith wrote: »
    Maybe its malware. Download malwarebytes and run a scan

Tried that and running into errors left right and centre, going to reinstall Windows.

Thanks to everybody :) decided to reinstall Windows, fed up with farting around lol

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Tried that and running into errors left right and centre, going to reinstall Windows.

One way to fix it :)

Advertisement