Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary or secondary maths

Options
  • 16-10-2014 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I need some help. I completed my PGCE in the uk. In Ireland the only subject recognised from my degree that I can teach is computing and as you can probably tell there isn't much computing teaching in Ireland.

I love teaching and I need to move back to Ireland so I have two options;

Complete the Hibernia course and become a primary teacher
    Or
    Do a one year maths course which will enable me to teach secondary maths.

Could anyone enlighten me as to which would give me a better chance at getting job?

Thank you for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I'm not primary but always thought looking from the outside in, it was easier to get a job there. No doubt though someone better informed may dispute it
    I don't teach math but as a second level teacher I will say 1 subject won't get you far :-(
    Math and computers may work in one of the more progressive schools in larger cities where schools are involved in young scientist and want to be seen to be getting ahead in terms of offering computer programming short courses etc for the new JCSA
    I've also found with anyone good with computers often finds themselves delivering LCVP as well so maybe do some research on it. There's no course obviously but you could shadow a teacher maybe whilst on placement to gain an insight?
    Whatever you decide just know it's still fairly bleak out there in terms of jobs but looking on the bright side you may be lucky and in the right place at the right time. I know a NQT that in her first yr out this yr has gotten 18hours of her own. She's looking at a potential full CID in 2 yrs now :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Jobs are extremely hard to come by in primary at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Maybe you should consider further education. Your subjects may be more appropriate for that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deiseshel

Further education? Is there much work in that at the moment?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

deiseshel wrote: »
    Further education? Is there much work in that at the moment?

Thanks

Unfortunately not, but jobs are hard to come by in primary and 2nd level too. It might be worth checking out though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement