Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers to be deregistered without evidence of CPD.

Options
  • 09-10-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭

This article caught my eye:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/regular-upskilling-to-become-mandatory-for-teachers-1.1952456

In it the Director of the Teaching Council (who knows sweet FA about teaching), Tomas O Ruairc, states
    There are many different models out there. Scotland’s teaching council, for example, does a review of CPD every five years. You learn throughout those five years and then present your evidence of learning at the end of that period.

So show evidence of CPD . . Or face the sack?

But who constitutes what CPD actually is . . . Seems it's going to be the Teaching Council.

Thoughts (from professionals only)?

For the teacher bashers the door to this thread is that way. . . -->

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭amacca

I like the way teachers have to present evidence as if they are the guilty ones in the court of the teaching council! Populated as it is by the great and good of Irish education (I wonder how many of them could stick it in a modern day classroom or are currently trying as hard as possible to get out of it or onto the next board/council etc etc)

More and more the approach seems to be to run education as if its a business…It won't work, I'm basing this on the fact it hasn't worked before...

David Mamet will soon be able to write a GlenGarry Glen Ross style screenplay with teachers instead of salesmen in it

Alec Baldwin style motivational speeches for teachers with students that aren't getting all A's ……… Its the students Williamson, its the students I need the premium students to get the premium results for Christs sakes! You can't expect me to close this ****!

When quangos/boards get going its almost laughable imho

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't mind CPD if a) it counts towards CP hours and b) it's not costing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't mind CPD if a) it counts towards CP hours and b) it's not costing me.

If you have to travel to an education centre its costing you time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

amacca wrote: »
    I like the way teachers have to present evidence as if they are the guilty ones in the court of the teaching council! Populated as it is by the great and good of Irish education (I wonder how many of them could stick it in a modern day classroom or are currently trying as hard as possible to get out of it or onto the next board/council etc etc)

More and more the approach seems to be to run education as if its a business…It won't work, I'm basing this on the fact it hasn't worked before...

David Mamet will soon be able to write a GlenGarry Glen Ross style screenplay with teachers instead of salesmen in it

Alec Baldwin style motivational speeches for teachers with students that aren't getting all A's ……… Its the students Williamson, its the students I need the premium students to get the premium results for Christs sakes! You can't expect me to close this ****!

When quangos/boards get going its almost laughable imho

Indeed there's something ironic about people who wouldn't know how to switch on a laptop laying down the rules of CPD to teachers.

It's dangerous and a grey area for the teacher though.

Could any spurious reason be used to deny teacher registration on the basis of a lack of CPD in order to force them from their job?

Manna from heaven for the unions . . . They're on the Teaching Council and they know teachers need them should this event occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I was at an inservice this evening until 7 and our facilitator mentioned this. He said he was at a meeting and they are looking for us to do two a year or we will be deregistered.

Crazy especially at a time when there appears to be less subject support inservices as they have been demoted. Priorities at the moment seem to be self evaluation and literacy and numeracy which we seem to be constantly talking about in school and doing Croke Park hours on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

It was suggested in our staffroom that we will be doing this CPD in the month of June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

wtd2008 wrote: »
    It was suggested in our staffroom that we will be doing this CPD in the month of June

what happens if you do your own cpd? Id be fairly livid if I had to give up time researching for a thesis to listen to some joe preaching about AFL for the nth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Are many schools allowed use their CPD to offset five of the Croke Park hours? I'd be going to CPD anyway but it pisses me off that some teachers can count it as CP and others can't. Our principal is having none of it- we have to do the 5 hours either meeting our subject departments before or after school or at lunchtime which is just as bad as the normal CP hours except we don't have to be together as a whole staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Pang wrote: »
    I was at an inservice this evening until 7 and our facilitator mentioned this. He said he was at a meeting and they are looking for us to do two a year or we will be deregistered.

Crazy especially at a time when there appears to be less subject support inservices as they have been demoted. Priorities at the moment seem to be self evaluation and literacy and numeracy which we seem to be constantly talking about in school and doing Croke Park hours on.

A colleague of mine was at an evening chemistry inservice during the week in our local education centre. Usually a handout is given with whatever information is covered. She said there were no handouts on the night. The facilitator told them he wasn't allowed to make photocopies. They usually get a lot of the resources on CD too. No CD this week or ever again. Also one of the websites that was in use as a resource site is gone. No more funding for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

A colleague of mine was at an evening chemistry inservice during the week in our local education centre. Usually a handout is given with whatever information is covered. She said there were no handouts on the night. The facilitator told them he wasn't allowed to make photocopies. They usually get a lot of the resources on CD too. No CD this week or ever again. Also one of the websites that was in use as a resource site is gone. No more funding for that.

Noticed this too last year with PDST meetings - used to get CDs with resources on them - not any more due to cut backs in funding

• Advertisement
Advertisement