Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8.55AM - 5PM with a 10 minute break. Is this the future of teaching?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

For me nothing summed it up as ridiculous or as absurd as what happened to me last Monday.

The Science co-ordinator organised a lunchtime Croke Park meeting (as requested by the Principal).

I couldn't attend. . . As I had to do free Haddington Road lunchtime supervision instead.

ya same here..but it wasnt for a cp meeting. next time though im saying no to lunch time meetups (even if its politely asked for on an ad hoc basis by a colleague)..

half our breaks are spent sorting out issues with students as it is !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As usual we were most definitely sold a pup. . . Like we were sold a pup over the Haddington Road S&S.

Choose 5 it stated. . . then out came a circular which severely limited the choice of the teacher to choose their own five.

Some people are paying not to do S&S - They're literally paying the DES for their lunch break and now, to add insult to injury, they have to work during those breaks.

This is a disgrace.
    I'm in an odd position for S&S. I'm willing (in principle) to make myself available, in the school where I have a contract. However, I'll never be available to do them, as I'll be elsewhere working the other (non-contract) teaching jobs I have. I won't be opting out. I'll happily opt in. I just won't be there. Also, I finish at 9pm on the days when I'm in the contracted school. When I'm in, I'm in from start to finish with no breaks. I'd happily stay on after, but the school will be shut. I certainly won't be paying not to have to do it.

This S&S bollockology is a one size fits nobody solution, to a non existent problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It's not an example of the unions selling out.

Your post is melodramatic Peter.

Another six hours straight with a ten minute break in between [which I'm pretty sure is illegal] . . Thanks to Haddington Road.

Three 40 minute classes
    10 minute break
    Three 40 minute classes
    Haddington Road Lunchtime Supervision.
    Haddington Road Substitution
    One 40 minute classes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Another six hours straight with a ten minute break in between [which I'm pretty sure is illegal] . . Thanks to Haddington Road.

Three 40 minute classes
    10 minute break
    Three 40 minute classes
    Haddington Road Lunchtime Supervision.
    Haddington Road Substitution
    One 40 minute classes
    You should either switch your lunchtime supervision OR the sub class to another dsy

km79 wrote: »
    You should either switch your lunchtime supervision OR the sub class to another dsy

That won't make any difference.

I have the period free first after lunch on Mondays.

I was then placed into that period for S&S as a result of the S&S circular.

It was one of my lowest priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You pointed out that that's probably illegal and you might be right but how about standing up for yourself. Go to whoever assigns those things and tell them that either the lunchtime supervision has to be moved or the Haddington class does. It isn't fair or reasonable to expect you to do that but if you actually go ahead and do it then nothing will change.

I'd say you should get on to the union but since you've left the union there isn't much point. I wonder if whoever sets the S&S knows you left the union.

Just on the last point about not being in the Union...(and not letting your school know about it!)... During the last HR vote a VP told me that if someone was going for an AP or other post of responsibly job, and it was discovered that the candidate left the union, then the interview board 'would have serious reservations'. Because you would be taking on extra responsibilities therefore you take on extra risk of being sued...so you would need union backing... or else the school might have to foot the legal bill....

Anyone ever heard of this?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Never ever heard of this.....

TheDriver wrote: »
    Never ever heard of this.....

It was actually six hours 15 minutes without a break as I attended a morning assembly.

Tomorrow I have eight classes - a full day until 3PM

Then on detention from 3.15-5PM…….It's my turn ;)

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »
    Just on the last point about not being in the Union...(and not letting your school know about it!)... During the last HR vote a VP told me that if someone was going for an AP or other post of responsibly job, and it was discovered that the candidate left the union, then the interview board 'would have serious reservations'. Because you would be taking on extra responsibilities therefore you take on extra risk of being sued...so you would need union backing... or else the school might have to foot the legal bill....

Anyone ever heard of this?...

Sounds like absolute nonsense to me.

Also comes across as discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Tomorrow - 7 full classes and a substitution class.

Monday - 8 Full classes plus parent teacher meeting to 6.45PM

Wednesday 2 weeks - 8 Full classes plus parent teacher meeting to 6.45PM

One busy day. . . .

Where's the time to do the other duties?

I love the way there are some on here more than prepared to defend the useless unions and the DES with useless 'Arold running the show.

Yeah and you were flat out all summer too, stop whinging you don't know when you have it good

huey1975 wrote: »
    Yeah and you were flat out all summer too, stop whinging you don't know when you have it good

:D

huey1975 wrote: »

How are the new S&S arrangements good?

Dont think we'll get an answer there!...

joe joe the summer holidays joe.....

go ahead next caller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Armelodie wrote: »
    How are the new S&S arrangements good?

Dont think we'll get an answer there!...

joe joe the summer holidays joe.....

go ahead next caller

I can actually handle the S&S part as at least I see a reason for them, however the extra CP/HR hours are total nonsense. We have another 2 hours meeting this evening, to be fair the last 3 we have had were a total waste of time....literacy and numeracy is being done to death, so much so that we have nothing left to write so we will be sitting looking at each other for 2 hours this evening if we get more of it.
    What really grates on me is the school near by has only had 3 hours so far and each of those actually lasted 45 mins max...they have no plan to do the majority of the hours either...and have never done them in the past !!

Monday - Full Day. No free periods. 6.25 hours with a ten minute break.
    Wednesday - Full Day. No free periods + 2 hour detention.
    Thursday - Full Day. No free periods due to Haddington Road Substitution.

I wonder what Friday holds. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

It is gone so bad now that we have a couple of teachers who open /read their post while using the bathroom. There are a few teachers who opted out and they are even finding the going tough with all the extra work thrown at them..................and do not mention taking time off sick,have you seen the 12 page 'document' one has to fill in if sick leave is taken,a lot of it total nonsense,filling in information they already have on file.A lot of the crowd that have retired over the last five or six years bled the system dry ....and we are now paying for it threefold.

ethical wrote: »
    It is gone so bad now that we have a couple of teachers who open /read their post while using the bathroom. There are a few teachers who opted out and they are even finding the going tough with all the extra work thrown at them..................and do not mention taking time off sick,have you seen the 12 page 'document' one has to fill in if sick leave is taken,a lot of it total nonsense,filling in information they already have on file.A lot of the crowd that have retired over the last five or six years bled the system dry ....and we are now paying for it threefold.

It's also leading to resentment in some cases.

I spoke to a teacher this morning who believes that management where I am are placing some teachers on constant Substitution whilst other teachers do not appear to be placed on the roster as much.

This is something which would require research to back up and prove but it would not surprise me if this were to be the case.

The Principal does no substitution and barely supervises.

The two DPs between them probably do a class a week . . when they've run out of options (i.e. A.N. Other Teacher) elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's also leading to resentment in some cases.

I spoke to a teacher this morning who believes that management where I am are placing some teachers on constant Substitution whilst other teachers do not appear to be placed on the roster as much.

This is something which would require research to back up and prove but it would not surprise me if this were to be the case.

The Principal does no substitution and barely supervises.

The two DPs between them probably do a class a week . . when they've run out of options (i.e. A.N. Other Teacher) elsewhere.

Is the S&S for each day put up in your staffroom?

If so, take note of who is put down each day. Tally it over a couple of weeks. Yes, more of your time taken, but it could be as simple as taking a photo of the cover sheet for the day for 2-4 weeks. If there is a pattern it will emerge.

As for the P and DP. To be honest, I'd say pick your battles, they'll probably argue that they do supervision in the morning before 9, at the end of the school day and are around at lunchtime etc.

Is the S&S for each day put up in your staffroom?

If so, take note of who is put down each day. Tally it over a couple of weeks. Yes, more of your time taken, but it could be as simple as taking a photo of the cover sheet for the day for 2-4 weeks. If there is a pattern it will emerge.

As for the P and DP. To be honest, I'd say pick your battles, they'll probably argue that they do supervision in the morning before 9, at the end of the school day and are around at lunchtime etc.

You must have read my mind. . . . As I've started doing as you suggested today.

I was going to start at the beginning of term as I felt that the S&S scheme would be run honestly. I'm not saying this is not the case. In doing my research I'm hoping to confirm that it is.

If I find evidence to the contrary I will raise it at a staff meeting in December.

I rarely see the P supervising. One of the DPs catching students who are late but this is the absolute minimum and it is something that a P/DP should be doing regardless.

Advertisement