Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working hours and breaks

Options
  • 10-04-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

recently started a new role in my company which is basically a 24/7 helpdesk role.The team is split between Ireland and the US.

On the weekends,the team is a bit stretched and on a Saturday I come in to work at 5am and work until 3.30pm.I am on shift by myself from 8.30am til 3pm.
    We have been advised by our boss that we are not allowed to leave the building if we are the only one on shift for lunchbreaks.

I just want to know a few things.

1.What break entitlements are I am entitled to for a 10 and half hour shift.
    2.Can your company insist that you don't leave the building for the duration of your lunch

My boss who is based in the U.S advised he had no issue with me leaving my desk for 20 minutes on a Saturday.Surely,he is being delusional telling me to take a 20 minute break for a 10 and a half hour day.We don't get paid for our lunch breaks.

I feel like I am being exploited here and want to know my rights.I really don't want to piss off my new boss as I understand we are a new team and our assets are a bit stretched at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You should be entitled to a 15 minute paid break and a 30 minute unpaid lunchbreak.

Certain types of work can require you to take your break in the same area you work, and there's a code of practice on this. Security might be one of these types of jobs. see http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

john1982 wrote: »
    recently started a new role in my company which is basically a 24/7 helpdesk role.The team is split between Ireland and the US.

On the weekends,the team is a bit stretched and on a Saturday I come in to work at 5am and work until 3.30pm.I am on shift by myself from 8.30am til 3pm.
    We have been advised by our boss that we are not allowed to leave the building if we are the only one on shift for lunchbreaks.

I just want to know a few things.

1.What break entitlements are I am entitled to for a 10 and half hour shift.
    2.Can your company insist that you don't leave the building for the duration of your lunch

My boss who is based in the U.S advised he had no issue with me leaving my desk for 20 minutes on a Saturday.Surely,he is being delusional telling me to take a 20 minute break for a 10 and a half hour day.We don't get paid for our lunch breaks.

I feel like I am being exploited here and want to know my rights.I really don't want to piss off my new boss as I understand we are a new team and our assets are a bit stretched at the moment.

From what you say, you appear to be a night worker and a lone worker.

Your boss could make the argument that forbidding you to leave the building is for health & safety reasons, but just because you can''t leave the building doesn't mean you can't leave your desk.

You would have to continue working through the 15minute break, as you are paid but the 30 minute break could be taken anyway within the building.

Are you provided with a break-room are something similar away from your actual place of work

Advertisement