Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave on FAS course?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,
    No one seems to know the answer to this question so I thought someone here might be able to help me.
    I'm doing a full-time FAS course in a museum until the end of October and am doing a mix of lectures and work experience. I've just been told that there will be no time off whatsoever for the duration of the course and if I ask for a week of unpaid leave I'll be kicked off the course.

At no point in the interview/offer point was this mentioned and is a disaster for me on the domestic front. Is this normal for a FAS course? As it stands I have to work on Easter Sunday and bank holidays etc so I don't think it's fair that I have no time off for 10 months. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

As far as I am concerned, this would be illegal. If you are employed in any capacity, including training, you are entitled to the minimum leave (20 days per year) on a pro rata basis.

FAS should know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Clauric wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned, this would be illegal. If you are employed in any capacity, including training, you are entitled to the minimum leave (20 days per year) on a pro rata basis.

FAS should know this.

The employer decides when you get your leave. As the course is only part of the year, then leave can be taken at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Carabas wrote: »
    At no point in the interview/offer point was this mentioned and is a disaster for me on the domestic front. Is this normal for a FAS course?

Didn't you ask?

Look you only started the course. So presumably you had the last few months free. Then 10 months later you have all the time in the world again. Some people actually have to make do with the bare 4 weeks annual leave in an entire year.

I'm sure they'll make an exception for any genuine emergencies and appointments. After a few weeks you might even ask for a day or two off. And of course you could throw the odd sickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My reaction to this thread is pretty unsympathetic: if the OP was enrolled in university or IT, s/he would not be able to choose their own holiday periods. A FAS course, whether or not it involves work placement, is much the same, IMHO.

As to the bit about it being illegal .. I'm not sure that employment law applies, (eg the OP will not be getting minimum wage either) - any anyways, boards isn't the place to get legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

testicle wrote: »
    The employer decides when you get your leave. As the course is only part of the year, then leave can be taken at the end.
    I dont think that's true

I'm pretty sure its 20 days per year pro rata, for the duration on the course/employment.

You need a break, thats what the right is there for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

unreggd wrote: »
    testicle wrote:
    The employer decides when you get your leave.

I dont think that's true

I'm pretty sure its 20 days per year pro rata, for the duration on the course/employment.

You need a break, thats what the right is there for

In any real-world job, you cannot just go off on leave when you want to, because "you need a break". The employer needs to approve annual leave requests. Your doctor needs to sign off on sick-leave. Sometimes annual leave requests are turned down.

If you are in paid employment, then you are entitled to 20 days annual leave, pro-rata'ed down if you work less than a full week. But there is no such entitlement for courses, which have pretty generous holiday allowance anyway, just at fixed times decided by the course provider, not by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I know, thats my point

Usually you can either request your holidays for approval, or they're assigned to you, like a college course with the term/easter breaks etc

That's what the OP wants clarified in relation to a Fás course, would time off be allocated as term breaks, or can you request your holidays. Fair question since you can request your dates when you're on benefit

But it doesnt make sense to say that someone does a 9 month long course, then gets their leave after. Your gone from the course, so its not leave at that stage, and I dont think they'd give you a balance of holiday pay or anything like that

Advertisement