Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs reverse job - how much do you think?

• 28-03-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Mrs backed into a 05 one series BMW earlier. Owner really v nice considering and is allowing us to take care of it. Have recommended guy coming to take a look tomorrow but any idea how much so I can begin preparing myself? :(

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

New door anyway, would have to come from BMW unless he would allow a second hand one to be fitted? then painting and blending into the back door and the wing. Not going to be cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Was there someone in the car when she hit it? If there was then repairing that damage will be the least of your worries and you can prepare for the inevitable whiplash claim. Do not hand over any money until you're 100% certain there won't be a personal injury claim. If you pay for the repair and the other side claims for personal injury, your insurance company will not reimburse you for the money you paid for the repair so it will be money down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

rex-x wrote: »
    New door anyway, would have to come from BMW unless he would allow a second hand one to be fitted? then painting and blending into the back door and the wing. Not going to be cheap

You think the door is done? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

quad_red wrote: »

That door is done. If it was my car I'd want a new door with no fillers

Re blending into the wing and back door. Why would that be required? It's just the door that needs painting, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it was a new car, I wouldn't be happy with a repair on that crease line.
    Considering it's a 10 year old car, the owner might be willing to play ball. I'lf that was my car and I was paying for my own repair, I would be buying a second hand door.
    In this case owner decides how the repair is carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yes. It would be probably cheaper to put a new door on. The amount of man hours to get that door straight again would make it a write off.(the door, not the car.)

Any ballpark on sourcing and fitting a new/second hand door?

Time to look at the exact terms of our no claims protection thingy.

coylemj wrote: »
    Was there someone in the car when she hit it? If there was then repairing that damage will be the least of your worries and you can prepare for the inevitable whiplash claim. Do not hand over any money until you're 100% certain there won't be a personal injury claim. If you pay for the repair and the other side claims for personal injury, your insurance company will not reimburse you for the money you paid for the repair so it will be money down the drain.

No one in car. Twas parked.

And that's a really negative take! I got rear ended last year and didn't claim whiplash. Brother got reversed in to a few years ago and didn't claim whiplash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

See ebay.co.uk item 161167869814

Mad money imo but might even be the right colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

mickdw wrote: »

Looks like the colour. The door handle might have to be swapped as the damaged one has a black door handle and the ebay item has a colour coded handle, it seems.

Could be a good option.

Also it is in NI. in Ballynahinch, Co Down.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »

Legend! If I got out of this for less than €500 I'd be chuffed.

And that's a really negative take! I got rear ended last year and didn't claim whiplash. Brother got reversed in to a few years ago and didn't claim whiplash!

Simply based on countless threads here and in over in Legal. People talk about how 'reasonable' the other guy was at the time of the accident. What typically happens next is that their friends tell them about how soft insurance companies are on whiplash so lo and behold they get on to your insurance company with a claim, they get paid off with a few thousand and then your insurance company screws you with higher premiums for several years while no other insurance company will quote you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rear ended last year and didn't claim because ther was no injury. Sideswiped about 6 years ago and did. Because there was an injury that still affects me today. Not all soft tissue injuries are made up!

Not saying all whiplash injury claims are false at all. And I know there are utter b**tards out there. But there are also decent folks. All I was saying.

But thankfully in this case the car was parked up and unoccupied so it's not an issue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

you wont have much change out of €1000. changing door locks etc, labour , paint, you would not get much done panel beating wise for 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i don't know would anybody entertain the thought of, or is it even possible to end up with whiplash from someone reversing into the drivers door of your stationary car. it's clear from the photo that things weren't exactly high speed.

i don't know would anybody entertain the thought of, or is it even possible to end up with whiplash from someone reversing into the drivers door of your stationary car. it's clear from the photo that things weren't exactly high speed.

Below is a quote from an Irish personal injury lawyer, read it and then you might take a different slant on the question of who would be prepared to 'entertain' a whiplash claim.

My reading of this statement is that it's an open invitation to claim because the emboldened (by me) section says that your claim can't be disproved....

Can whiplash be diagnosed or proved/disproved?

People who genuinely have these symptoms as a result of a car accident do not necessarily have any physical evidence that can be determined by a medical examination or scan such as an x-ray. It is hence notoriously difficult to prove and virtually impossible to disprove

http://www.lawyer.ie/personal-injuries/whiplash-claims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭wandererz

Check out Ace Autobody, I got some stuff done after another body shop messed up the colour.

Perfect job from them and perfect colour match.

It's one panel and as far as I know that's how they quote for respraying etc. (if it does not need to be blended into other panels). Obviously you have a good bit of damage. That could be massaged out.

Of course, the victim would want a return to normal situation rather than an imperfect paint match etc.

Below is a quote from an Irish personal injury lawyer, read it and then you might take a different slant on the question of who would be prepared to 'entertain' a whiplash claim.

My reading of this statement is that it's an open invitation to claim because the emboldened (by me) section says that your claim can't be disproved....

Can whiplash be diagnosed or proved/disproved?

People who genuinely have these symptoms as a result of a car accident do not necessarily have any physical evidence that can be determined by a medical examination or scan such as an x-ray. It is hence notoriously difficult to prove and virtually impossible to disprove

http://www.lawyer.ie/personal-injuries/whiplash-claims

that's what the solicitor looking to take your case says. i'd say it's pretty easy to defend in this instance.

for whiplash to occur, even by its namesake i'd imagine somesort of movement has to occur. doctors know this, they have ethics, solicitors from insurance companies know this, they don't want to pay out. i'd bet that that 1 series didn't move an inch during that damage. how can you claim whiplash in a car accident where the car never moved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

wandererz wrote: »
    Check out Ace Autobody, I got some stuff done after another body shop messed up the colour.

Perfect job from them and perfect colour match.

It's one panel and as far as I know that's how they quote for respraying etc. (if it does not need to be blended into other panels). Obviously you have a good bit of damage. That could be massaged out.

Of course, the victim would want a return to normal situation rather than an imperfect paint match etc.

I had a similar experience to this a few years ago... Most 'authorised' repair centres would only replace the door... Local panel beater left it perfect. I had a good chat with him at the time and he reckons the skills just aren't out there any more... Most just take the easy road an replace as it's the easier option.. I claimed on my insurance as it didn't affect my premium in any way. The authorised centre quote was a good 500 more than the local guys price..

• Advertisement

for whiplash to occur, even by its namesake i'd imagine somesort of movement has to occur. doctors know this, they have ethics

:confused: You seriously think that the doctors that personal injury lawyers use have 'ethics'? Medicine is an inexact science which means that you'll always find a doctor to write a medical report that backs up your claim.
    solicitors from insurance companies know this, they don't want to pay out.

But they do, that's why there has been an epidemic in the number of whiplash claims in the past few years in this part of the world.
    i'd bet that that 1 series didn't move an inch during that damage. how can you claim whiplash in a car accident where the car never moved?

The impact might not have moved the car an inch but it could easily cause a jolt to someone sitting in the car and that in turn could lead to a (fictitious) whiplash injury.

nah. how could a car that doesn't move, directly cause the occupant to jolt?

hopefully someone sneezes near me in work tomorrow and i can claim for whiplash.

in an accident where some kind of movement is involved, any kind of movement at all, i could understand. but claiming for whiplash in a car that never moved. i seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I know someone that had a claim against them for whiplash for substantially less damage than in the OPs post. Reversed into the wing at about 3mph, there wasn't even visible damage to the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭wandererz

The topic has taken a tangent into whiplash / legal that possibly does not apply.

The OP asked a simple question about cost of repair.

Respray a door - approx €400.
    Dent repair - approx €600

Those should be way out costs, correct?

Only way is to take it in to a few companies to get a quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The OP has already pointed out the car was parked and empty, how the hell did the owner suddenly get whiplash?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I had a similar experience to this a few years ago... Most 'authorised' repair centres would only replace the door... Local panel beater left it perfect. I had a good chat with him at the time and he reckons the skills just aren't out there any more... Most just take the easy road an replace as it's the easier option.. I claimed on my insurance as it didn't affect my premium in any way. The authorised centre quote was a good 500 more than the local guys price..

I went to a few panel beaters recently, the honest ones pointed out why nobody could beat out the damage due to the way the metal was shaped at the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Say you do find a door that is the same colour - how likely is it to be the exact same shade ? Especially after 10 years of wear and tear / sunshine ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Markcheese wrote: »
    Say you do find a door that is the same colour - how likely is it to be the exact same shade ? Especially after 10 years of wear and tear / sunshine ..

Even were it to be a perfect match you could expect a fair amount of fading to occur over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If it was the same shade, but weathered/faded, it could be possible to bring it up nicely with a cut and polish, preferably with a buffing machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Even were it to be a perfect match you could expect a fair amount of fading to occur over time.
    EazyD is online now Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message Thanks
    The used door if it's the same shade may well be the same age and have a similar degree of fading. Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Are metallic paints less likely to fade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If it's the right colour but slightly faded, you could always get the whole car machine polished by a detailer, it'd reduce any obvious difference from paint fading. BMW paint is quite hard so a good polish will bring the paint right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lads, ye're dreaming if ye think a door from a scrap car will just match up colour wise.
    Realistically you're looking at a door and respray of the side of the car.

Wouldn't be unreasonable for the car owner to want the job done with new parts either.

I meant to put a conclusion to this thread on here.

Lady was really nice and she said she would be happy with her guy sorting the repair and respray out (not the first time she's been hit in exactly the same way).

So her guy came out and took a look. Cost me €450 all in and he sorted it out.

Took a look at it walking past this weekend and it is a really, really good job. From across the road wouldn't have known any different (didn't get any closer than that :o )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's a good price too. Glad everyone was happy with the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd ring around some of the breakers and see if you can source a door, then give that door and car to your panel beater, I'd say you'll be out of it with €500 no problem as long as you can source a door for the right price. I done the same myself to an old 626 a good few years back now and think it ended up costing me about €400~450 which was probably about what the car was worth lol
    try:
    http://www.parts4u.ie/
    http://www.parts4cars.ie/
    http://www.traynors.co.uk/
    http://www.kilcockcardismantlers.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭kavanada

:rolleyes:

Advertisement