Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Hop House 13 - what's the deal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Do "diageo only" pubs even exist any more?

Even if they do, you'd imagine Smithwicks Pale Ale would be available, is this better than that?

Plenty of Diageo only sports back home in the west! Be lucky to see more than a pint of Guinness or Smithwicks. As for a pint of SPA you would be greeted with a confused look!

The few pints I had of it I would prefer to SPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ask for pale ale in some pubs and you get offered the regular red smithwicks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I've had the pleasure of drinking maybe 8 pints of this stuff in a Diageo riddled pub. As said, its drinkable and not bad, its nothing special but would suffice. It's like an inferior Galway Hooker or Smithwicks Pale Ale(which is sweeter though Hooker is far superior) but if you're stuck for an alternative on a night out, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanorpen

Why does the guy in the add call it LARger. It's Lager isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

seanorpen wrote: »
    Why does the guy in the add call it LARger. It's Lager isn't it.

Because its so refreshing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Tried it for the first time in Xicos Baggot Street the other night. Was quite nice! Had a slight fruity, bitter taste to it, almost like lemon or orange, reminded me a little of Blue Moon. That been said, I woke up with an almighty hangover next morning, when usually I'd be fine after 6 or 7 pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

is it clever putting unlucky number on top it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Had a few of these on Sunday - not bad at all, found it much nicer than your usual Lager.

Nate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I had one 2 weeks ago and it was nice enough but had a bit of a soapy taste. This was after a few hours of pinting.

Had one last night after 1 pint of Rebel Red and I though it tasted a lot less fresh and hoppy. Still got a little soapy taste off it. If I was guessing I'd say it was a keg that had been tapped up for ages but my cousin tells me the stuff is flying out any time he is in this particular pub.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

irish_goat wrote: »
    I had one 2 weeks ago and it was nice enough but had a bit of a soapy taste. This was after a few hours of pinting.

Had one last night after 1 pint of Rebel Red and I though it tasted a lot less fresh and hoppy. Still got a little soapy taste off it. If I was guessing I'd say it was a keg that had been tapped up for ages but my cousin tells me the stuff is flying out any time he is in this particular pub.

That's exactly how it tasted to me, like soap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

After a night of alternating between Hop House 13 and West Mayo Clew Bay Red in Castlebar at the weekend, it will be too soon if I ever taste either again. But the Diageo stuff is very visible nearly everywhere now.

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

First I thought.. pft, Diagio's attempt to respond to the gradual upsurge in craft beer availability. Then I thought this could actually work against them - introducing people to something a little different, they might get a taste for experimenting.

I think it beats Diagio's other options. Nice beer, a bit light tasting, little fruity. I could definitely drink it. I don't really like their other beers bar Guinness.

Stheno wrote: »
    That's exactly how it tasted to me, like soap

a lot of ipa type beers have a soapy type taste. even tho this beer isn't a real ipa type beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Had a few pints of this on Monday. It's definitely drinkable. Nothing spectacular but it would do if there is no choice of real beers (ie Carlsberg, Budwater or Heino only).

number 13 is on it is that good idea why put bad luck number on it

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    is it clever putting unlucky number on top it

Drink it under a ladder listening to this for added effect:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I had a pint of this last week and it just tasted like watered down Carlsberg to me, which is really saying something. Wouldn't buy it again, I was hoping it would taste at least a little hoppy, but I might as well have been drinking carbonated water. I'd happily take any other macro lager bar Molson Canadian over it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it concerns you enough to post twice about it, don't drink it then.

You might want to deal with the ridiculousness of your superstitions though.

lol new lager,

how long did guinness extra cold last a year so will this

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

lol new lager,

how long did guinness extra cold last a year so will this

Isn't ALL Guinness served extra cold now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had a pint of this earlier today. It's actually quite nice. I found it to be in Galway Hooker territory in terms of flavour, although I didn't do a side-by-side - perhaps this is more due to a declining regard for Galway Hooker than anything else. Regardless, I did indeed find it nice and hoppy. I think it's a good addition to the Diageo lineup and I would quite happily drink it in the lack of a wider selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Chanced a pint of this earlier as I was in a pub with nothing nice available. Found it to be absolute gack. It had a seriously stale malt smell from it with some very faint hops. It's way to rough around the edges to even be considered a lager - and I believe the cheeky buggers even ferment it with an ale yeast.

Other half had smithwicks pale ale, which isn't too bad at all being honest. World's nicer than hop house 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

slayerking wrote: »
    Chanced a pint of this earlier as I was in a pub with nothing nice available. Found it to be absolute gack. It had a seriously stale malt smell from it with some very faint hops. It's way to rough around the edges to even be considered a lager - and I believe the cheeky buggers even ferment it with an ale yeast.

Other half had smithwicks pale ale, which isn't too bad at all being honest. World's nicer than hop house 13.
    It's horrendous. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭donaghs

slayerking wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Just had one yesterday. Faint hoppiness that you don't get in macro lagers. But no reason to ever buy one again unless the only alternatives is Coors Light, Miller, et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Haven't read the whole thread, don't shoot me if already answered.

Is this available for of off licenses does anyone know, and if so, which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Haven't read the whole thread, don't shoot me if already answered.

Is this available for of off licenses does anyone know, and if so, which ones?

It's available on draught only.

I like it, it's hardly the muck some people seem to think it is. May not be to everybody's taste but then what is?

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

How long did guinness extra cold last a year so will this

Don't think so... it will be interesting to see though. I work in a bar at the weekends, this stuff is flying out of the pump this past 4 weeks. It's probably our second best seller after Guinness. I know that's only one pub, but it's a busy enough bar with a mix of locals, tourists, party goers, youths etc. so broad spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Patww79 wrote: »
    Tried it at the weekend, it was OK but was veering on that awful crafty strong alcohol taste.

Darn new fangled hops :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Had one the other night - and a draught Smithwicks Blonde - to try them out. Didn't really like the hop house at all. Pretty bland. Would probably have a few of the Blonde though if in a pub with no crafts when I wasn't in the mood for Guinness.

Advertisement