Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sipping whiskey recommendations

Options
  • 17-03-2015 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a E30 bottle of bushmills and it was like drinking petrol.
    Can anyone recommend a nice sipping whiskey that is nice neat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I recently bought a E30 bottle of bushmills and it was like drinking petrol.
    Can anyone recommend a nice sipping whiskey that is nice neat

How much you willing to spend? Scotch or Irish?

In the Irish whiskies, Crested ten costs a little more - Bushmills 10 year old a bit again - both nice. Jameson black barrel nice as well. Up the scale price wise green spot.

Depends on tastes - I would drink bog standard Bushmills white label and enjoy it or the 10 year old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

15 year old poteen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Are you a whiskey drinker or trying to get into it? I may get a bit of crap for this, but if you're trying to get into whiskey drinking, Jack Daniel's wouldn't be a terrible option if you haven't tried it. It's sweeter compared to Scotch and Irish whiskeys and would appeal to the average person's palette a lot more, people tend to mix it, but I think it's a nice enough sipping whiskey if you want to drink it straight, once you drink that you can ease into less sweet whiskeys. As far as Irish whiskeys are concerned, I find most of your typical brands such as Tullamore Dew, Paddy and Bushmills have a fairly similar taste, but Jameson is quite distinctive compared to them if you ask me, I like Jameson a lot more and find it goes down a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

Jack Daniels is delicious there's a few different varieties to sour mash, honey and single barrel I found them all to be scrummy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Bowmore 15... fantastic aroma, masses of flavour, you won't be knocking it back but it's very moreish :-)
    If you're in Dublin head up to the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson St, the guys there are more than happy to chat about various whiskys/whiskies and flavours, and often have a few bottles open for sampling...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I want Jameson, ginger and lime now real bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

eternal wrote: »
    I want Jameson, ginger and lime now real bad.
    Ditto >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Are you a whiskey drinker or trying to get into it? I may get a bit of crap for this, but if you're trying to get into whiskey drinking, Jack Daniel's wouldn't be a terrible option if you haven't tried it. It's sweeter compared to Scotch and Irish whiskeys and would appeal to the average person's palette a lot more, people tend to mix it, but I think it's a nice enough sipping whiskey if you want to drink it straight, once you drink that you can ease into less sweet whiskeys. As far as Irish whiskeys are concerned, I find most of your typical brands such as Tullamore Dew, Paddy and Bushmills have a fairly similar taste, but Jameson is quite distinctive compared to them if you ask me, I like Jameson a lot more and find it goes down a lot easier.

Im trying to get into it. I have drank whiskey in the best but usually while inebriated so my taste buds were dulled. I might give a decent bottle of Jameson a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Greenore single grain (Irish) wouldn't be a bad place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which Bushmills did you get? I've seen white, which I wouldn't buy if it was the last in the shop, for 30 before; whereas you should get Black and some change for it other places and another fiver would get the 10 year old.

If it was either of those, you'll definitely want to go for a far sweeter bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Not knowing your budget leaves this a bit wide open.

I'd go with Suntory Hibiki 12 Year Old myself. It's the easiest whisky I have at the moment to drink which is a shame as it only comes in a 500ml bottle and it's nearly all gone.

After that it has to be Redbreast 21 year old.

On the budget side I'd choose Lockes 8 year old Single Malt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    In the Irish whiskies, Crested ten costs a little more - Bushmills 10 year old a bit again - both nice. Jameson black barrel nice as well. Up the scale price wise green spot.

Crested Ten was as low as 25 at Christmas 2014, but is often as high as 35 at other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

L1011 wrote: »
    Which Bushmills did you get? I've seen white, which I wouldn't buy if it was the last in the shop, for 30 before; whereas you should get Black and some change for it other places and another fiver would get the 10 year old.

The basic Bush white is available at 20 fairly widely.

Black Bush has been on offer at 25 during Christmas 2014, you should be able to get it for 30 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

12 year old Redbreast, not cheap though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Rather than throwing another thirty quid or more at a good bottle, why don't you arrange or attend a whiskey tasting?

As mentioned, the guys in Celtic Whiskey are great to have a chat with and usually have a few bottles of Irish whiskey for tasting, but if you go to a more elaborate tasting, you can try ryes, bourbons, scotch and Japanese as well as Irish, and figure out if there's a generic taste profile you like then investigate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Or head to the Palace bar, or the Headline or the Bull & Castle and do I whiskey tasting tray that allows you to try a few different whiskeys.

We got into whiskey by trying Power's John's Lane but its quite a bit pricier than €30. I find the Teelings range pretty sip-able now and their cheapest isn't too much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Writers Tears is quite sweet and easily sippable!

Anyone tried any of Aldis own? Going to risk a bottle of glen marnoch (sp?) if I can find it or the highland black.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Anyone tried any of Aldis own? Going to risk a bottle of glen marnoch (sp?) if I can find it or the highland black.

I've tried most of them

Glen Marnoch is covered up-thread

Highland Black 8 is acceptable for its price. Rumoured to be a Glenmorangie-related product. After a few I've had trouble telling the difference between it and Johnny Walker Black but blind-tasting I can, easily, due to a very distinct grain note. I have some in the cupboard most of the time

The generic 3 year old scotch is dishwater, can't remember the name of it.

Clontarf 1014 - not tried it.

Clontarf 1014 10 year old - I drank it, but I didn't rebuy it.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I've tried most of them

Glen Marnoch is covered up-thread

Highland Black 8 is acceptable for its price. Rumoured to be a Glenmorangie-related product. After a few I've had trouble telling the difference between it and Johnny Walker Black but blind-tasting I can, easily, due to a very distinct grain note. I have some in the cupboard most of the time

The generic 3 year old scotch is dishwater, can't remember the name of it.

Clontarf 1014 - not tried it.

Clontarf 1014 10 year old - I drank it, but I didn't rebuy it.

Thanks for that - should have added I tried both the Clonfarf and it was perfectly drinkable. I'm sure there was a third one at some point.

Glen marnoch I reckon worth a punt as is the highland 8 yo - 3 yo I wouldn't though as its going to be rough no matter who makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

have a friend travelling to the usa. he can carry 1 bottle back / buy and collect in shannon. i was thinking green spot or there abouts. still only starting off so would like to budget 20-25 euro. he is leaving miami so not sure what availability is there....dont know anythong about usa whiskey . maybe cheap top rated stuff availabe in all duty frees?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I thought that shop and collect only applied to EU flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Zaph wrote: »
    I thought that shop and collect only applied to EU flights?

It does, the guy would have to bring the bottle with him and bring it back in his checked luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Got my bottle today redbreast 12 y o cask strength .....58.6% . Looks to get serious reviews

Advertisement