Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cash and Carry / Wholesale open to public

Options
  • 29-08-2015 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Has anyone found any Wholesalers or a Cash and Carry open to the public here in the republic or in northern Ireland.

They seem to be popping up everywhere in the UK, and you would have thought that a few might have made it here in the republic or across the border in the North

If there is a sticky could be made listing details

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most wholesalers operate cash accounts on which they charge VAT, though they may not make it particularly obvious or have limitations on them. The one we use in work has a system of cash accounts for staff of their customers to use, for instance

They are rarely if ever cheaper than discounters (Aldi, Lidl, Dealz) when purchasing items in what you may even consider to be "bulk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

No - they are not permitted under their planning to open to the public.

Same in the UK, but you do have "wholesale clubs" which use the name wholesale to trick people into thinking they are getting wholesale prices when in reality its a glorified discount shop that forces you to buy in bulk and also charge you an annual fee. Sometimes they have great value - but same can be said for any store.

Here's a couple of example from costco

6 bottles villa maria wine = £35.89 + vat @ 20% = £43.07 equates to about €60.

24 cans tango = £14.37 + vat @ 20% = 17.24. equastes to about €24 (my local corner shop charges 90c for one can!)

John west tuna 5pack £5 (no vat) about €7. - €1.49 each in Dealz + 3 for 2 offer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    They are rarely if ever cheaper than discounters (Aldi, Lidl, Dealz) when purchasing items in what you may even consider to be "bulk"
    YOu can walk into most musgraves and have a look. I was surprised it was so dear. I could have got a loan of a card from people but never bothered. You can check some places online nowadays, some need an account set up though.
    delahuntv wrote: »
    24 cans tango = £14.37 + vat @ 20% = 17.24. equastes to about €24 (my local corner shop charges 90c for one can!)
    If you are a fan Dealz have cans of tango at the moment in multipacks of maybe 8-12 cans. I cannot remember the price but Icertainly cheaper than that.

Dealz online is pretty poor, it does not show a lot of the stock they actually have. All it shows is 500ml tango bottles 2 for 1.49.

It seems the online shop might only display stuff sold at 1.49, while instore there are more and more mulitpacks and stuff at well above that price. I got 10x380ml lucozade for 5 euro (6 of the same bottles are 4.89 in tesco). They had catering size packs of branded tea bags

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You can use the Makro in Belfast's Off Licence (but not the main store) as a member of the public, but it's only worth it for their wine deals.

Beers and Spirits are almost always cheaper in Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda etc. if you only shop for deals on those items....of which here will be many before the C word. No, not that one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

Got an account setup in Musgraves there a couple of weeks ago, I have a business registered from a few years ago(not VAT registered), not trading anymore, just sent in a few forms and I was good.

I haven't gone in to buy anything yet, so I'm not sure what they'll say, if anything, at the till, presumably I'll just have to pay the VAT because I'm not VAT registered. :(

Was in there a couple of months ago with a relative and got some great deals on lasagna and chicken fillets(on their card), hoping I can still get some value for money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

Got an account setup in Musgraves there a couple of weeks ago, I have a business registered from a few years ago(not VAT registered), not trading anymore, just sent in a few forms and I was good.

I haven't gone in to buy anything yet, so I'm not sure what they'll say, if anything, at the till, presumably I'll just have to pay the VAT because I'm not VAT registered. :(

Was in there a couple of months ago with a relative and got some great deals on lasagna and chicken fillets(on the6ir card), hoping I can still get some value for money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Pallas do click and collect for the public, just off N2 near the airport

Advertisement