Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway-based tech start-up introduces Facebook-shareable QR Codes to the web

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

That's great that you have so many big hitters interested and the quicker you could get deals done with them the better.

The ability to put all their logos on your website will give you great credibility and a great Launchpad to push on.

Visually though can you add custom colours to the Q-codes??

I have a great Q-Code maker in Photoshop that does that sort of thing.

I know that adds another level of complexity to a system like this but it would enable you to stand out even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Codacast

That's great that you have so many big hitters interested and the quicker you could get deals done with them the better.

The ability to put all their logos on your website will give you great credibility and a great Launchpad to push on.

Visually though can you add custom colours to the Q-codes??

I have a great Q-Code maker in Photoshop that does that sort of thing.

I know that adds another level of complexity to a system like this but it would enable you to stand out even more.

EireHotspur - we can add custom colours (and are already doing it) - unfortunately I can't add photos or links here as I am still a 'new' member but if you look on our twitter (@codacast) you will see what I mean :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Adding colours can reduce contrast and make it harder for lower end phone cameras to detect them.

Technology is at its best when it just gets out of the way. QR codes are an example of technology getting in the way. I get that your product reduces some of the unsightliness of QR codes, but it's not a solution, it's a minimising of the problem. Codes are also limited to people with smart phones who know how to read codes.

I'm not going to pull out my phone, open a specific app (or wait to download it if I dont already have it), then look like an idiot while I try and scan it. At a push, I might brush my phone past it and expect the ad to save or open a link for me to look at later. I guess that would mean NFC chips.

Like the Fax machine, still popular in Japan/China, dead in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

As others have said I think QR is dead. I played around with it for a while but there was almost never anything worth while at the end of a QR link. I wouldn't bother scanning one any more. But I am not your market anyway.

QR recognition is actually built in to Windows Phone. I doubt may realise that. Not a massive market anyway.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/how-to/wp8/apps/scan-codes-and-text

Facebook fans seem to like trends and fads, so if there's one place it might work (start a trend of revival) that might be it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Great to see that you've launched your own Android App for scanning your QR codes, is there an iOS version in the pipeline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Codacast

Graham wrote: »
    Great to see that you've launched your own Android App for scanning your QR codes, is there an iOS version in the pipeline?

There is Graham - we are fortunate to have the Android ability in house but will have to contract the iOS version out :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Codacast wrote: »
    There is Graham - we are fortunate to have the Android ability in house but will have to contract the iOS version out :-)

For a straightforward QR scanner you should be able to get something off the shelf and customise/rebrand it.

Advertisement