Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Geuze wrote: »
    I am a supporter of public transport, and large subsidies towards it.

But even I admit that the Claremorris - Collooney section will never reopen.

So turn it into a greenway, yes, while preserving the possibility of a future railway line.

Now, about the line from Claremorris south, I would not turn that into a greenway.

One reason the Ennis-Galway section isn't that successful is due to bus competition.

German / French / UK railways are often more successful as they don't have a sister bus company competing against them.

When the G[URL="file://\\gort-Tuam"]ort-Tuam[/URL] motorway is finished, the private bus operators will wipe the floor with Irish Rail, delivering a far faster and cheaper service than the railway ever could.
    It's all over for this politically-inspired railway route that never had any basis in reality. Time for everyone to move on.

Geuze wrote: »
    I travel on the N17 weekly.

The volumes of traffic south of Tuam leads me to believe a Tuam-Galway service could be viable.

Not a chance. The motorway will kill this stone dead, but even before the motorway project the Tuam-Galway rail option was a dead duck.
    Put in simple terms, if I lived in Tuam and wanted to commute to a job in Galway, would I use a slow forty-minute train that took me to Galway city centre where I would have to wait for a bus to take me another twenty minutes to my job, or would I take a direct bus (or drive) from Tuam that would drop me at the door of my work in twenty minutes?
    Most of the employment in Galway is concentrated on the outskirts, apart from the hospital and university which are still a bus-ride from the station.
    The western rail corridor (so-called) closed because of lack of use. since the closure of various sections, car ownership has increased, bus travel has been liberalised and become much cheaper, roads have vastly improved and work and leisure patters have changed utterly. We don't live in the 1950s any more, and infrastructure that did the job then won't do it now.
    A Galway-Tuam rail link is a nonsense, the stuff of fantasy. It is now clear that government understands that, and is no longer willing to pander to a handful of rail enthusiasts with no grasp of economics, or reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Opportunistic Wannabe western TD's decrying Enda's comments and promising to move heaven and earth to get the Northern WRC built in 3,2,1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Markcheese wrote: »
    Neither do I really, thought I'd heard somewhere that it was light rail line- and then mixed stuff up - :-)

It was - but Irish gauge light rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sfbgd2.jpg

Here's a pic I lifted from fb. The width of the formation is truly amazing, there is plenty of room for rail and greenway. Even if there isn't enough clearance under that bridge to slew the tracks, I'm sure a greenway could be accomodated with a small deviation up that slope and across the road, a stretch of gauntletted sharing of space or simply building a new bridge

There's surely no question that a Greenway means no rail line ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

corktina wrote: »
    sfbgd2.jpg

Here's a pic I lifted from fb. The width of the formation is truly amazing, there is plenty of room for rail and greenway. Even if there isn't enough clearance under that bridge to slew the tracks, I'm sure a greenway could be accomodated with a small deviation up that slope and across the road, a stretch of gauntletted sharing of space or simply building a new bridge

How poorly built was that!

westtip wrote: »
    However, I wouldn't call the greenway a by-product. I was writing on the old thread about the economic benefits of the greenway idea long before even the Great Western Greenway was opened and before greenways became part of the public consciousness. My original thought for a greenway on this route came when I was driving on the N17 between Tubbercurry and Charlestown one day and looking to my left saw the old railway and thought that is never going to re-open why on earth don't they put a cycle path on it, I was unaware of the word "greenway" at the time. A friend of mine sent me in an article in the Irish Times back in 1997, 17 years ago, written by Tourism Economics Lecturer Felim O'Rourke, Felim had mapped out all the old railways in the West saying they should be a network of cycle paths.

Im not dissing the idea of a Greenway. I'm merely referring to it as a by-product of a disused railway. That's what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

sfbgd2.jpg

What a great cycle ride that is going to be, WOT said it was "disingenuous" to compare the Great Western greenway with the route of the Claremorris/collooney line - I think they used the phrase no scenery along the route - this will be a truly beautiful greenway route!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Grandeeod wrote: »
    How poorly built was that!

Very. Lowest cost construction possible - which is why it isn't practical to even consider it as a modern railway, route speed wise. If they wanted a road-competitive railway from Sligo to Galway they'd need to build a new alignment.

• Advertisement

The open bit of the WRC can still be improved by a chord at Athenry. Missing it out shouldn't cause too many problems, with inventive connections at Oranmore Parkway.

I'd prefer to see a modest investment in this than continuing to waste the 100 million+ already spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

cgcsb wrote: »
    When building the Ennis Athenry section we had a relatively blank canvis. It should have been designed to accommodate 200km/h, with 160 being achievable with current rolling stock.

But there was no "blank canvas", unless you want some major CPO's, there were restricted to the existing route alignment.

But there was no "blank canvas", unless you want some major CPO's, there were restricted to the existing route alignment.

there was no need for 200 km/h on this line, it's too short and the stops enroute would mean it would rarely if ever acheive this speed (or even 160)

What was needed was a realisation that most of the intermediate stops are irrelevant in terms of rural transport and should have been left to the Bus Service. With a fast Lim/Ennis/Gort/Oranmore/Galway service and a chord avoiding Athenry, 70 mph would probably have been sufficent..(.even Gort station is right on the 51 bus route and could have been left out.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there was no need for 200 km/h on this line, it's too short and the stops enroute would mean it would rarely if ever acheive this speed (or even 160)

What was needed was a realisation that most of the intermediate stops are irrelevant in terms of rural transport and should have been left to the Bus Service. With a fast Lim/Ennis/Gort/Oranmore/Galway service and a chord avoiding Athenry, 70 mph would probably have been sufficent..(.even Gort station is right on the 51 bus route and could have been left out.)
    both the intermediat stations left out and building/rebuilding to the highist possible speed are what should have happened. if more then 70 could have been got thats what should have been aimed for, if not well thats unfortunate, but better then nothing. the right thing to have done is just reopen the line and have just limerick ennis athenry galway, if numbers were good then consider reopening intermediat stations. if not then the current mess could have been avoided.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

<br />
    <br />
    When building the Ennis Athenry section we had a relatively blank canvis. It should have been designed to accommodate 200km/h, with 160 being achievable with current rolling stock.<br />

Instead we rebuilt a Victorian railway that was deliberately uncompetitive with road, destined for failure.

Dont you realise that WOT always campaigned to get the old railway re-opened, they would have been laughed out of court if they suggested a new route which would have put the cost through the roof. The old route was always going to deliver a heap of crap, it wasn't deliberately uncompetitive - it was exactly what WOT asked for - the old line to be re-opened they got what they asked for it failed now lets get on with doing something useful with the line.

Which is what has been said all along, and is what WOT never saw. They were always campaigning for bad infrastructure that would not deliver, constantly they have talked about this "vital piece of infrastructure" but its not because as many of us have said tarting up the old railway by laying new tracks was never going to deliver good infrastructure but merely the reinvention of the old line, with poor alignments, gradients and a poor route choice. Asking for the old line to be re-opened was a sop. Ennis Athenry was as LV said "built for entirely political reasons". Had WOT campaigned for a true WRC going Limerick, Shannon Airport, Galway; they would never have got it due to the land costs for a new route. Using the old route created the slow train that was inevitable and the failure that was inevitable. They were sold a sop, but at least the failure (predicted by many at the start) of the old rail route, has finally put pay to any more nonsensical talk about the railway being opened north of Athenry. 2014 was the end of the Western Rail corridor, this parrot is most definitely dead. 2015 is a new beginning. Happy New Year Folks.:D

While I agree absolutely that the WRC will make a decent Greenway, I don't share the same sense of jubilation as you. I am always accutely aware of the fact that this folly will be seen as a massive massive failure in railway terms and the long term damage to developing the rail network will be far reaching as a result. 2014 may be the year that saw the end of the WRC, but 2015 may be the year where the bean counters and mandarins that run this country, develop an anti railway bias and hold up the WRC as ultimate proof that railways aren't worth reopening anywhere. Not a huge issue at the moment. But once it enshrines itself in political circles, it could take a lifetime to change.

• Advertisement

While I agree absolutely that the WRC will make a decent Greenway, I don't share the same sense of jubilation as you. I am always accutely aware of the fact that this folly will be seen as a massive massive failure in railway terms and the long term damage to developing the rail network will be far reaching as a result. 2014 may be the year that saw the end of the WRC, but 2015 may be the year where the bean counters and mandarins that run this country, develop an anti railway bias and hold up the WRC as ultimate proof that railways aren't worth reopening anywhere. Not a huge issue at the moment. But once it enshrines itself in political circles, it could take a lifetime to change.

GD I agree completely, its not a sense of jubilation that WRC has been buried, as I have said so many times asking and lobbying for the WRC was very damaging to rail investment, and may have damaged the rail lobby forever. The reason I lobbied against he WRC being extended any further was a genuine interest in transport planning, I have always seen it as a bad use of resources and not really solving any transport problems for the west. I would love to have seen the 110 million wasted on Ennis/Athenry invested where the need is greater. For the West as said in other posts 110 million spent on improving West to East rail travel (Galway Dublin, Westport Dublin and Sligo Dublin) would have benefited the west greatly. You are right, the campaign to restore the WRC has done untold damage to the rail lobbyists in Ireland. Every campaign for rail investment now be compared to this forlorn campaign and held up "do we want another white elephant like the WRC?"

GD I agree completely, its not a sense of jubilation that WRC has been buried, as I have said so many times asking and lobbying for the WRC was very damaging to rail investment, and may have damaged the rail lobby forever. The reason I lobbied against he WRC being extended any further was a genuine interest in transport planning, I have always seen it as a bad use of resources and not really solving any transport problems for the west. I would love to have seen the 110 million wasted on Ennis/Athenry invested where the need is greater. For the West as said in other posts 110 million spent on improving West to East rail travel (Galway Dublin, Westport Dublin and Sligo Dublin) would have benefited the west greatly. You are right, the campaign to restore the WRC has done untold damage to the rail lobbyists in Ireland. Every campaign for rail investment now be compared to this forlorn campaign and held up "do we want another white elephant like the WRC?"

Best of luck with the Greenway and thank you for being honest enough to realise what that bunch of eejits WOT were along with their bunch of "now silent" supporters who have ****ed over rail development in Ireland. Believe it or not, something similar is going on with Metro North in the capital. I'm astounded by the sheer ignorance from people who are happy to sit online and partake in even more crayonism, while absolutely nothing gets built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I have to laugh at the half baked non engineering comments here.

Let's summarise

(1) re-opening existing WRC was and is a diaster for the whole rail network. In that in a vain hope to save political face this white elephant will cause other already opened section to close , like Waterford Limerick , and wexford rosslare. Then after a certain time WRC will cl

are you saying that's your opinion or are you casting scorn on it?

BoatMad wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the half baked non engineering comments here.

Let's summarise

(1) re-opening existing WRC was and is a diaster for the whole rail network. In that in a vain hope to save political face this white elephant will cause other already opened section to close , like Waterford Limerick , and wexford rosslare. Then after a certain time WRC will cl
    rosslare waterford/limerick and limerick ballybroaphy via nenagh were the ones said to close to divert funds to the WRC, all phazes had they gone ahead. the rosslare waterford part of rosslare limerick is gone. the other 2, even though the rest of the WRC isn't happening, its probably a case of when and not if they go. of course i'm only going on what was said at the time so you can take it or leave it if you like

• Advertisement

Sorry continuing

Suggesting WRC could have be realigned for so called high speed flies in the face of any realism and is pure fantasy

The line was built for interprovincial mixed passager and freight , IR reopened the line with the lowest weight rail. But nothing would justify getting the line speed above its original Victorian speeds.

In fact IR chasing speeds is a chimera, its hideously expensive , yet with station dwell times , number of stops , train paths for slower trains , real point to point improvements are nearly impossible

IR would be better raising average speeds to 70 mph over the while network , providing lower cost reliable services on comfortable trains ( good running carriages , proper seats , catering ) ie all the things that are difficult to put on a bus. Making a train like a bus is a waste of time.

The future for intercity rail is extremely bleak with current thinking

Note

A greenway running along a disused railway WILL prevent it ever being open again by the way. The width of a train plus a safety margin will mean its will be a practical impossibility to run both. That's not to knock greenway but let's not engage is more WRC. wishful thinking

If its a greenway then take up the track , make it a good greenway , the railway WILL NEVER be reopened anyway

Someone asked what's the future for railways in Ireland

The answer, is outside of commuter Dublin , none. You simply cannot compete with motorways on a small country.

rosslare waterford/limerick and limerick ballybroaphy via nenagh were the ones said to close to divert funds to the WRC, all phazes had they gone ahead. the rosslare waterford part of rosslare limerick is gone. the other 2, even though the rest of the WRC isn't happening, its probably a case of when and not if they go. of course i'm only going on what was said at the time so you can take it or leave it if you like

Yes indeed the legacy of the WRC will be to close a useful cross country L-W link. Look at the nonsense fares on the limerick Galway section ( WRC ) and compare the L - W fares. Utterly ridiculous .

Immeasurable damage was done by the WRC , and clearly why internally IR fought tooth and nail against it

see the pic on post 5017, the formation is very wide indeed and there would always be room for rail alongside a greenway with special arrangements at pinch points.

Yes indeed the legacy of the WRC will be to close a useful cross country L-W link. Look at the nonsense fares on the limerick Galway section ( WRC ) and compare the L - W fares. Utterly ridiculous .

Immeasurable damage was done by the WRC , and clearly why internally IR fought tooth and nail against it

The special fares offered on the WRC were a ****ing insult to the rest of the network. A sad and politically driven agenda. Free car parks too! But enjoy some video from the day it opened! The Green party TD from Dun Laoghaire (who didn't even support DU in Dublin) and some sham from the west. Really eye opening crap!

And the now pensioned off Myles McHugh in the background! Gravy train bull**** at its best. Nobody actually cared. Nobody does and nobody will accept arseholes.

see the pic on post 5017, the formation is very wide indeed and there would always be room for rail alongside a greenway with special arrangements at pinch points.

You might have a look at the Irish Rail Gauge to see the width and height consumed by standard rail vehicles. Its considerably more then the rail width. Then add a considerable safety margin.

The reality is that its wishful thinking. If you distrust me, try walking along side a single track operating railway in ireland today.

short of making a one foot wide greenway, the track will have to go and the greenway properly established. Anything else is more WRC wishful thinking.

Ive seen proposed Mulligar athlone greenway drawings, its nonsense to suggest you could realistically run a railway alongside it.

Make it a greenway ( or don't ) but at least lets abandon more wishful thinking.

eastwest wrote: »
    In the minds of a small group of railway anoraks who travel under the WOT banner.

nobody in WOT is a rail enthusiast, what they are is a misguided " western " advocacy group, that disastrously pinned their project to a railway line, that clearly was a disaster from the get go.

WHy a government facilitated them is of course the real question

L1011 wrote: »
    It was - but Irish gauge light rail.

Its a heavy rail line, primarily built to haul mixed freight ( mainly cattle) and some passengers. Trying to justify the WRC cock-up by saying the reason its failing is its not the TGV is just laughable.

nobody in WOT is a rail enthusiast, what they are is a misguided " western " advocacy group, that disastrously pinned their project to a railway line, that clearly was a disaster from the get go.

WHy a government facilitated them is of course the real question

I would agree. However some confusion does emanate from the amount of enthusiasts that were supportive, including business people like Jim Deegan, who was only interested in his own agenda via his Rail Tours Ireland business.

Pretty sickening stuff overall.

Its also worth pointing out that IE managers from the West (working in Dublin) like Myles McHugh (now retired) actively supported this and then we had your man Dawson from Galway CoCo who's Daddy drove a train on the line, doing the same. It was akin to a local coop. Ah well they got 100 million out of the pot.

Its also worth pointing out that IE managers from the West (working in Dublin) like Myles McHugh (now retired) actively supported this and then we had your man Dawson from Galway CoCo who's Daddy drove a train on the line, doing the same. It was akin to a local coop. Ah well they got 100 million out of the pot.

Unfortunately they didn't get 100million " extra" out of the pot. They effectively scavenged the rail budget.

• Advertisement

You might have a look at the Irish Rail Gauge to see the width and height consumed by standard rail vehicles. Its considerably more then the rail width. Then add a considerable safety margin.

The reality is that its wishful thinking. If you distrust me, try walking along side a single track operating railway in ireland today.

short of making a one foot wide greenway, the track will have to go and the greenway properly established. Anything else is more WRC wishful thinking.

Ive seen proposed Mulligar athlone greenway drawings, its nonsense to suggest you could realistically run a railway alongside it.

Make it a greenway ( or don't ) but at least lets abandon more wishful thinking.

an operating railway like the LUAS perhaps? did you even bother to look at the picture? there's room for both once pinch points are dealt with as in my post.

an operating railway like the LUAS perhaps? did you even bother to look at the picture? there's room for both once pinch points are dealt with as in my post.

Yes I looked at it, but have you ever walked a typical single line railway in ireland.

secondly LUAS runs on 4'6" gauge , putting that back in the face of an island of 5'3" gauge would be manifestly madness.

Irish rail gauge allows 10'6", with an adequate safety margin on top of that. thats over 5 feet more then the rail gauge

Its more of this nonsense wishful thinking to argue that an effective operating railway and an effective greenway can coexist with modifying the whole alignment.

If you wish, have a look at the area near dunlaoghaire, where a walkway/cycle way exists close to a existing line.

Im all in favour of greenways, but to suggest that both can co-exist , is fictional nonsense,

Lets just accept the rail link is dead. rip up the tracks , build a proper greenway.

But lets not engage in more fuzzy WOT/WRC thinking and nonsense justifications

We're spending 700mil on a motorway to Tuam, a new railway alignment, or partially new rather, is a substantially lower cost. Surely it should merit consideration to meet the transport need between the two cities.

no it wouldn't , rail and road capacity considerations aren't equal. its not a case of one displacing the other, that was lost sometimes in the 50s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

We're spending 700mil on a motorway to Tuam, a new railway alignment, or partially new rather, is a substantially lower cost. Surely it should merit consideration to meet the transport need between the two cities.

Road offers a door to door, flexible option which rail can never ever offer on the scale of the WRC. basically road is well worth the extra when you consider the benefit to the community as a whole. The days of travelling several moles to wait for the twice/thrice a day train and not having any other options are over. people can now walk to the local town/village and get a fast bus or take the car and bring the kids for far cheaper than taking the slow train.

I accept the motorway is overspecced and overkill for the population in the west; good quality seamless road, dual c/w or even 2+1 (remember that) would be perfectly ok, or even the single lane with wide hard shoulder, but a seamless road that bypasses the likes of Claregalway is essential. Transport needs in the west of ireland, due to our housing planning and dispersed population and communities is totally driven by road transport, like it or not, that is a fact of life, a new alignment for a railway may be worth considering, the existing alignment though is not suitable for a modern railway to deliver an acceptable journey time.

The argument about road types is not really relevant to the rail argument. merely because we spend XXX on roads doesnt mean we should automatically spend yyy on rail. Thats was the fallacy of the greens and why IR suddenly got millions to waste on railcars having just previously spent millions on 100mph+ locomotives

The issue is justification. There is no justification for new rail lines in ireland, we can hardly fund the existing system, which ultimately boils down to the inability of Intercity rail to attract large numbers of passengers particularly in smaller population areas.

Much as a rail fan like me, hates to admit it. Motorways and good quality roads will provide significant benefit to large numbers of travellers. Expensive rail upgrades in reality target a very small proportion of travellers. ( outside of high capacity commuter areas)

Arguably one could argue that the greater Dublin areas commuter rail, more LUAS, DART inter connector, are all ham strung by rail budget divisions in fiascos like WRC, intercity upgrades etc.
    a new alignment for a railway may be worth considering, the existing alignment though is not suitable for a modern railway to deliver an acceptable journey time.

The fact is that WRC and others lines show, once Ireland built high quality motorways, really it has spelled the end of intercity rail transport. The Dublin Galway rail line issues show this.

I mean if you shut the waterford dublin intercity rail link, you simply wouldn't notice the extra loading on the adjacent motorway. The same is true for Dublin Limerick.

The fact remains, WRC issues are not really related to the " alignment " , thats a red herring, short of a massive ridiculous high speed 100mph+ line, point to point journeys for a traveller will always be better on a motorway and high quality road network. Ireland simply has little or no congestion once outside a few specific urban pinch points.

Rail simply doesnt offer the inter city traveller any particular advantages, has some severe dis-advantages and thats not helped by decades of mis-management, mis-diected investment and management by civil service and external "strategic" reviews

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The WRC alignment is typically wider than most railway alignments in Ireland -- with typically more space between the track and the boundary fence than other railways in the country. This is a fairly normal section, there are far wider sections:

333723.JPG

Take these examples from Claremorris to Kiltimagh, here's a very rough estimate of the space between the western track and the western boundary fence/ditch etc:

red = 7-9m
    yellow = 10-12m
    blue = 14-23m

333720.JPG

333719.JPG

This is the plan from the Malahide estuary greenway:

Bike-bicycle-greenway-train.jpg

Which has a wide path by Irish standards and a conservative buffer between the left rail and the fence (in light of paths in Dublin only ~2m from the rail). But still it would fit on a large percent of the WRC.

Again, why attempt to bulldoze , and back fill , construct greenways around narrow bridges etc, for a railway that will never be re-established. Either the greenway is justified or its not.

If in the future, some alternative reality requires the re-establishment of a railway, it then might be built on a new alignment as some have justified here !. ( not )

I just see more WRC/WOT fuzzy thinking.

Again, why attempt to bulldoze , and back fill , construct greenways around narrow bridges etc, for a railway that will never be re-established. Either the greenway is justified or its not.

If in the future, some alternative reality requires the re-establishment of a railway, it then might be built on a new alignment as some have justified here !. ( not )

I just see more WRC/WOT fuzzy thinking.

Your problem is that you're now shifting goal posts. You were just a few posts ago trying to make out that a greenway could never fit along the WRC or on any railway alignment in Ireland while keeping .

You're also showing that you don't have a clue about the WRC/WOT advocates -- they are firmly against the fact that a greenway can fit beside a railway on the WRC. Just to be clear here: I'm not saying a railway should be built, but just that if people want to hold onto the idea of a railway in the future, that the greenway can be built in a way to accommodate that.

As for "Either the greenway is justified or its not" -- The real world works this way. It's not a dictatorship, if you want something done you work with people, you meet them half way where you can. You have to deal with Realpolitik.

It's not a case of only having to "construct greenways around narrow bridges" or nothing else -- you can put the greenway away from the tracks where there's space and under the narrow bridges for now and leave it open to divert the greenway in the future.

I mean if you shut the waterford dublin intercity rail link, you simply wouldn't notice the extra loading on the adjacent motorway. The same is true for Dublin Limerick.

The already highly congested road network on, around, and within the M50 would notice it.

Rail simply doesnt offer the inter city traveller any particular advantages...

We were told that express bus services between Cork and Dublin would have that route on its knees before now -- yet, here we are.

You might not see any advantages, but actual rail passengers do.

monument wrote: »
    Your problem is that you're now shifting goal posts. You were just a few posts ago trying to make out that a greenway could never fit along the WRC or on any railway alignment in Ireland while keeping .

You're also showing that you don't have a clue about the WRC/WOT advocates -- they are firmly against the fact that a greenway can fit beside a railway on the WRC. Just to be clear here: I'm not saying a railway should be built, but just that if people want to hold onto the idea of a railway in the future, that the greenway can be built in a way to accommodate that.

As for "Either the greenway is justified or its not" -- The real world works this way. It's not a dictatorship, if you want something done you work with people, you meet them half way where you can. You have to deal with Realpolitik.

It's not a case of only having to "construct greenways around narrow bridges" or nothing else -- you can put the greenway away from the tracks where there's space and under the narrow bridges for now and leave it open to divert the greenway in the future.
    I'm not agreeing with you about the width of the alignment. I've never seen it stated that the Burma road was built with wider slignments then elsewhere.

But that's not the point. WRC is dead, limerick Galway is on a life support machine of artificially low fares and excessive tine tabling to save political face. Hence there is simply no foreseeable future that will see a rail lnk on the Sligo end.

Given that people need to stop worrying about rsil isses. And fixate on recovering possession and building a good greenway. It makes no sense to spend any extra money "'securing" a rail line that wil never reopen. What's keys is not to loose the track bed.

Greenway are justified because the gov and it's agencies have seen the success of them in other countries. It's not a matter of " working with people", it's a matter of establishing policy and funding that policy. There no need to mollycoddle the fiasco that is WOT and it's supporters given the disastrous performance of the existing WRC.

If in some future mythological country, the rail line is justified , then an alternative greenway could be established ( beside the railway or elsewhere ) and the rail track relaid.

The already highly congested road network on, around, and within the M50 would notice it.

Not at all, the numbers travelling by train after you take out the non car owners are too small to make any difference
    We were told that express bus services between Cork and Dublin would have that route on its knees before now -- yet, here we are.

You might not see any advantages, but actual rail passengers do.

Well we have seen what has happened on the Dublin Galway route. I forsee IR seeing the same issues on all it's lines that shadow motorways, especially with the removal of city gold upmarket services on the trains. It's easier to switch to the Beemer and press the cruise control.
    Things will only get worse as we see more automated driving aids appearing in cars.

But yes , removing intercity rail, doesn't mean abandoning Dublin commuter rail, that's needs to be enhanced.

• Advertisement

i stopped reading at the"LUAS gauge is 4'6" "

i stopped reading at the"LUAS gauge is 4'6" "

why ?

becauase there is so much wrong info in your long winded posts.

becauase there is so much wrong info in your long winded posts.

explain ?

The fact is that WRC and others lines show, once Ireland built high quality motorways, really it has spelled the end of intercity rail transport. The Dublin Galway rail line issues show this.

The fact remains, WRC issues are not really related to the " alignment " , thats a red herring, short of a massive ridiculous high speed 100mph+ line, point to point journeys for a traveller will always be better on a motorway and high quality road network. Ireland simply has little or no congestion once outside a few specific urban pinch points.

Boatman I have cut out quite a lot of the post this quote is pulled from, If you read any of my many posts on this subject over the last few years, I think you will see we are singing from the same hymn sheet in regard to the WRC alignment!

Boatman I have cut out quite a lot of the post this quote is pulled from, If you read any of my many posts on this subject over the last few years, I think you will see we are singing from the same hymn sheet in regard to the WRC alignment!

I know, its a sad day, when one unjustifiable excuse after another is advanced to justify the farce that was the political justification exercise that was WOT/WRC. The main basis of which was " Ye's have all that track/trains in dublin, give us some"

• Advertisement

I would agree. However some confusion does emanate from the amount of enthusiasts that were supportive, including business people like Jim Deegan, who was only interested in his own agenda via his Rail Tours Ireland business.

Pretty sickening stuff overall.
    Also Frank Dawson, former Roscommon County Manager and WOT member, heavily involved in the inter-county railway committee which was effectively the political wing of West on Track -- his father drove the last train out of Tuam, so 'rail anorak' is a reasonably good description.
    He also was famously known to have a toy train in his office in Roscommon.

eastwest wrote: »
    effectively the political wing of West on Track --

Now that FG no longer support the WRC, and it is highly doubtful that FF will fall into that trap again, is the voice of the political wing of west on track?
    Gerry "not up for discussion" Murray:

Remember this one folks lest you forget: He certainly got it right when he said the western rail corridor is not on the table and was not up for discussion - but perhaps not the way he thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7G_Zd47HRc

Now that FG no longer support the WRC, and it is highly doubtful that FF will fall into that trap again, is the voice of the political wing of west on track?
    Gerry "not up for discussion" Murray:

Remember this one folks lest you forget: He certainly got it right when he said the western rail corridor is not on the table and was not up for discussion - but perhaps not the way he thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7G_Zd47HRc
    a beautiful twisting of his words there, i love it

Just a thought. but as this thread has gone so completely AWOL re its subject matter, and as the Western Rail Corridor no longer exists as a subject worth discussing, except in the minds of a tiny minority, should we call it a day. Should we now ask the mods to close the thread and start a new on on the Western Rail Trail?.... As I say just a thought :D

MOD NOTE: 50 posts off-topic posts moved here.

Most of those posts are not mainly about WRC disused section, but moving a whole load of posts is not easy and is far from an exact science so please excuse me if I have moved any posts which are clearly about the WRC disused section.

PLEASE feel free to continue the motorways, greenways, bypasses, railways and more general transport discussion over on the new thread and continue WRC here.

Just a thought. but as this thread has gone so completely AWOL re its subject matter, and as the Western Rail Corridor no longer exists as a subject worth discussing, except in the minds of a tiny minority, should we call it a day. Should we now ask the mods to close the thread and start a new on on the Western Rail Trail?.... As I say just a thought :D

You posted while I was cleaning up the thread! Off-topic posts moved now to allow for some of that discussion to continue while keeping this thread on-topic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement