Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Newbie here

Options
  • 27-03-2015 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Me and the missus got a fish tank the other day its about 18 inchs tall and 10 inchs or so wide so no idea how many litres, But its bog standard no filters, lights, heater or anything like that with it , only one solitary gold fish who seems fairly happy enough

Now it was my girlfriends idea to get this and now i've become fascinated with the idea of getting more fish , I know you need warm water to get some of the more tropical fish, So basiclly can someone help me out and point me in the direction of the best cheapest filters, heaters etc to get to get me going

I'd also like to know whats safe to put in with the goldfish (he's only a little fella) but I heard they swallow some fish , I've spotted a columbian catfish shark in my local pet mania that i'd love to get

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

That seems very small for a Goldfish. I don't think you could put anything else in with him. You could try rehoming him & get some White Cloud Mountain Minnow. They are lovely fish. They need a filter but not a heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You don't say how high the tank is so I can't estimate the volume, but it's most definitely too small for a goldfish (which grow up to a foot in length when kept well) so rehoming that would be a good idea. A petshop might let you swap it for a few tropical fish. Adding a filter and a heater is the main thing to do. Your best bet is probably a tetra species or male guppies, which are colourful and entertaining to watch. Or a betta, which is a beautiful fish but best kept alone because it's aggressive.

Columbian catfish are gorgeous, but grow up to 10", so are most definitely not suitable for your tank. You'd need a tank of about 250L for one of those.

As regards eating other tank fish the general rule is that if it can fit in their mouth they'll probably eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its about 18-22 inchs tall i think

Advertisement