Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do kittens eat?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has come up before but I've been a little concerned for the past while. I've had cats most of my life, when I was younger. It's been about 10 years since I've had one but took the plunge and got one in January.

She is now about 7 months old and is eating, what I think, is too much. At the moment, she could be eating anything up to a full tin of cat food plus some dry food, every day. I sort of remember my other cats not eating this much when they were young.

Sometimes, I would give her 1/3 of a tin plus dry food. After an hour or so she would start acting up in the way she does when she is hungry. I give her another 1/4 tin and she eats up most of it.

She has been wormed a month or two ago but may need to be done again. She has recently [within the last month or so] been given the snip. If this is relevant.

I know that generally cats don't over eat but this is a generalisation. And as we all know generalisations are irrelevant to the individual :)

I just want to be sure she is eating normally. I also don't want to be starving the poor thing just because my beliefs are wrong...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would expect a healthy cat of that age to easily eat half a tin of cat food twice daily, as well as a few nibbles on dry food throughout the day.

As long as she is gaining weight, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I'd be more concerned if she's losing weight, as it may be a sign she's not getting enough food!

It is a generalisation but cats genuinely are self-regulating and won't over-eat. If they do, it's usually a sign of a health problem, or boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Cheers.

Then I'm on the right track. She is gaining weight and filling out nicely.
    My mother in law has an over weight cat but that cat is just .... different. Love her anyway :) Great to play with. Scars all over my arms and hands. She [mother in laws cat] doesn't really have anyone else to play with so myself and my kitten do the honours.

Advertisement