Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

My UK offer is AAAAA :( It's cool though, don't think I want neuroscience anymore anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

finality wrote: »
    My UK offer is AAAAA :( It's cool though, don't think I want neuroscience anymore anyway.

What university was it was it one of the russell groups? did you only apply to one uni there?

What university was it was it one of the russell groups? did you only apply to one uni there?

University of Edinburgh. I've got Glasgow as insurance with AAAB, but I don't think I'll be going to the UK :)

University of Edinburgh. I've got Glasgow as insurance with AAAB, but I don't think I'll be going to the UK :)

Aw you might still see what happens. I think those are i the russell group the other ones you can get slightly lower offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Hey mysteriouschic, could you be the biggest legend ever and send me your essay for Role of Women in Hamlet? :) I have literally nothing done for it and it seems like it's quite likely to come up. Please. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Hey mysteriouschic I haven't done that essay on women either, would really appreciate if you could PM it to me, I'll give you any essay you want or link to good websites that have essays. Don't feel like you have to though, like, if you don't want to.

Aw you might still see what happens. I think those are i the russell group the other ones you can get slightly lower offers.

Oh I know it's not the grades I just want to do a different course now. I might email Edinburgh and see if they'll change me over to engineering but I don't know how likely it is that they'll be happy to do that. :/

Rant incoming...

So I got up this morning at like half 8 to study, my siblings were downstairs getting ready for school and my mum was there too giving out crap as usual. The kitchen's really messy so I was all to her like "Do you want me to clean the kitchen?", trying to do her a favour (8 days from the LC too but that's a diff story) ahd help her out and she replied with the most snide comment ever, something along the lines of "Do it if you want to do it". It was the way she said it, it was like me giving her a bit of help was revolting to her or something. Stupid thing is if I don't clean it up she'll go apeshít later and start shouting at all of us 'cos we're "lazy cúnts", "never do anything around the house" etc. She'll probably do that even if I clean it up actually, now that I think about it. If she's going mental and I say 'I asked you if you wanted me to clean it but you said no', she'll come out with something along the lines of 'just because I say I don't want you to do it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it wah wah' Jesus her outlook makes me sick hey. She never stops shouting at my wee brother, ever. She's just a terrible influence, I hope I don't end up like her when I'm older. Def one of the worst parents I've ever seen, objectively. Ugh.

/rant

Oh I know it's not the grades I just want to do a different course now. I might email Edinburgh and see if they'll change me over to engineering but I don't know how likely it is that they'll be happy to do that. :/

Aw yeah ask them to see you might be able to transfer. Or even ask the ucas team I think if you're on twitter you can tweet them and they usually reply.

There's a load of garda near my house. Loads of people are outside there houses. I study in the room at the front it's going to be so distracting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Guys, you know what I look forward to? Its this thread after the exams :p

I mean, I know we'll get our lives back and whatnot, but sure coming up to the results :D exciting stuff :p

Thats my optimism for today :rolleyes:

My roads gonna be on the news saw a tv3 video camera. I really need to study, I might study in my room today. I'm only going to be distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

AnnaKin wrote: »
    Guys, you know what I look forward to? Its this thread after the exams :p

I mean, I know we'll get our lives back and whatnot, but sure coming up to the results :D exciting stuff :p

Thats my optimism for today :rolleyes:

Oh god I'll be a ball of nerves coming up to the results! It's my mams birthday the day before, and they want to have a party... I won't be in the party mood!

Lads how would you answer this question? It's in relation to protein synthesis. What is a triplet? State the role of a triplet.
    Like I know in my head what it is, it's just getting it onto paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Rant incoming...

So I got up this morning at like half 8 to study, my siblings were downstairs getting ready for school and my mum was there too giving out crap as usual. The kitchen's really messy so I was all to her like "Do you want me to clean the kitchen?", trying to do her a favour (8 days from the LC too but that's a diff story) ahd help her out and she replied with the most snide comment ever, something along the lines of "Do it if you want to do it". It was the way she said it, it was like me giving her a bit of help was revolting to her or something. Stupid thing is if I don't clean it up she'll go apeshít later and start shouting at all of us 'cos we're "lazy cúnts", "never do anything around the house" etc. She'll probably do that even if I clean it up actually, now that I think about it. If she's going mental and I say 'I asked you if you wanted me to clean it but you said no', she'll come out with something along the lines of 'just because I say I don't want you to do it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it wah wah' Jesus her outlook makes me sick hey. She never stops shouting at my wee brother, ever. She's just a terrible influence, I hope I don't end up like her when I'm older. Def one of the worst parents I've ever seen, objectively. Ugh.

/rant

Sorry to hijack this thread but this sounds familar!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Oh god I'll be a ball of nerves coming up to the results! It's my mams birthday the day before, and they want to have a party... I won't be in the party mood!

Lads how would you answer this question? It's in relation to protein synthesis. What is a triplet? State the role of a triplet.

Erm maybe a series of three bases which code for the production of a particular amino acid. The codons on the Messenger RNA attract anti-codons found on Transfer RNA. Each tRNA carries it's own Amino Acid

Edit: A sequence of 3 consecutive DNA bases form a triplet (codon). A codon codes for of 20 different amino acids. A sequence of triplets codes for a sequence of amino acids. A sequence of at least 200 Amino Acids form a protein.

If you know what it is yourself and know how to explain it, just explain what it does in your own words. Usually there's room in the marking scheme for explained answers even if you don't hit the keywords, but you might have to use a particular word sometimes to get the marks e.g a triplet is a type of codon with three bases attached to it which attaches to the RNA in protein synthesis. I'd say that'd get pretty much full marks you could throw more stuff in if you felt like you needed it :)
    Sorry to hijack this thread but this sounds just like my mother too, always giving out about not helping but I am like I am studying and she is doing nothing, even though I am not in LC, finish first year college so I know how it feels!!! Grrrr Parents :mad:

Ugh I know man, total first world problems like but it's so irritating. :P I help as much as I can and I'm studying like 7-8 hours a day, when my mum flips her shít I just calmly tell her if she wants something done she can just ask me and she doesn't have to go burning out her vocal cords over it either. :pac: I'm a super clean person like, I hate living in a dirty house. I don't mind clutter, as long as the stuff causing the clutter is nice and clean. :P But ideally, no clutter, nice and clean = happiness haha. You still living with your mum?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

So in maths we were doing that algebra (a) part with the root x-9 over root x - 3 = root x + a for all x =/= 9.

When my teacher asked me how to do it I said let x = 0 since thats true, 0 isnt 9. He was like emmmm and everyone was like LAWL, NO, LAWL.
    Then I explained it and my teacher was like oh yeah and everyone was like oh yeah of course :)
    Fook sake :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Does anyone have a site with summaries or notes on Dancing at Lughnasa? I'm really clueless on it since our teacher barely touched on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Everyone is getting so dressed up for school in my school lately and its making me not want to go in :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

when my mum flips her shít

Love that phrase, I'm using it anymore. :pac:

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    So in maths we were doing that algebra (a) part with the root x-9 over root x - 3 = root x + a for all x =/= 9.

When my teacher asked me how to do it I said let x = 0 since thats true, 0 isnt 9. He was like emmmm and everyone was like LAWL, NO, LAWL.
    Then I explained it and my teacher was like oh yeah and everyone was like oh yeah of course :)
    Fook sake :pac:

What year was this? :eek:

What year was this? :eek:
    Pretty sure it was 2006 Q1a, or 2a. Looks intimidating, but it isnt :L

Pretty sure it was 2006 Q1a, or 2a. Looks intimidating, but it isnt :L

My algebra is rusty ^^

That's definitely a valid way to do that question, it was in the marking scheme...that would've been way easier than the way I did it :L

The c part of question 2 was a bitch in 2006, for a minute I was terrified that I wouldn't get it :L

That's definitely a valid way to do that question, it was in the marking scheme...that would've been way easier than the way I did it :L

The c part of question 2 was a bitch in 2006, for a minute I was terrified that I wouldn't get it :L

It'd be a gift of a question now though for a part c :) Took me a while to get the negative log bit even though it's in the tables :pac:

a triplet is a series of 3 nitrogenous bases of dna or rna which codes for one particular amino acid

Its definitely the easiest way, we did it 4 different ways and that one was fastest :L

Ugh yeah it was ;_; Its so easy looking once its done out though. :P Did you take log10 or logb of both sides? I've seen it done both ways and log10 is pointlessly complicated I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

All of your definitions of a triplet are wrong. Here's the correct one:
    A triplet is a codon which codes for a start stop signal or an amino acid, in transcription.

Its definitely the easiest way, we did it 4 different ways and that one was fastest :L

Ugh yeah it was ;_; Its so easy looking once its done out though. :P Did you take log10 or logb of both sides? I've seen it done both ways and log10 is pointlessly complicated I think.

logb. I think the questions where you need to convert to logs are the hardest in algebra.

• Advertisement

reznov wrote: »
    All of your definitions of a triplet are wrong. Here's the correct one:
    A triplet is a codon which codes for a start stop signal or an amino acid, in transcription.

You wouldn't get the marks for that, you have to say it's a series of 3 bases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement