Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving marathon time

Options
  • 13-04-2014 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hello

I ran a marathon 4 years ago this month. My time was 4 hours 20 minutes. I want to run a another and perhaps shave an hour off the time. My weekly schedule back then consisted of about 36 miles of running per week.

What do I need to do to accomplish this? I was thinking maybe fifty miles a week including speed work and maybe two runs a day.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

What mileage are you running at the min? Have you ran any races lately ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I'm doing about 40-50 km a week at the moment. This has been consistent for the past couple of years since the marathon.

Haven't done any races yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

If it's any help, when I started out, I would have been a 4:30 marathoner, and posted a 3:29 in Dublin last year. When I started the training plan for Dublin in late July (with a running club), I was running about 30 - 40 miles per week over 3 to 5 days at a comfortable pace. The training plan we used at the club started us on 40 miles / week and built us up to peak training of 65 miles per week - over 6 days training. To be honest, the distances and target paces set out in the training plan weren't so much a problem in training, it was getting my head around running 6 days per week.

So if you are starting now from 35 - 40 miles/ week, I would say with a very good training plan... And lots of honesty and discipline, you will shave 1 hour off with 3 to 4 months training and increasing your mileage progressively. I would recommend joining a club though that will help you train for the marathon. Our club used the Hanson 16 mile training plan for Dublin, last year and as I say, it suited me and my club mates very well.

Each to their own though.

Good luck
    Muppet man

Advertisement