Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming as a cross training

Options
  • 08-04-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm on the 4th week of the Garmin Connect Half Marathon programme level II (never run half-marathon but I did 25km race 2:25 result).
    This program has 1-2 rest days per week, at least 4 running days, 1 day is usually either running or cross training.

I also would really like to do triathlon in future.

So I decided to go to swimming pool instead cycling or total body workout at home. So what do you think, does it makes any sense to go 1 or 2 times a week to swimming pool?
    Do you think it is a good idea to do both swimming pool straight after recovery run (on day when it is either short easy run or swimming pool)?

Are there any benefits for a runner from swimming sessions? Or it will be better to go gym/HIIT/CrossFit etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm on the 4th week of the Garmin Connect Half Marathon programme level II (never run half-marathon but I did 25km race 2:25 result).
    This program has 1-2 rest days per week, at least 4 running days, 1 day is usually either running or cross training.

I also would really like to do triathlon in future.

So I decided to go to swimming pool instead cycling or total body workout at home. So what do you think, does it makes any sense to go 1 or 2 times a week to swimming pool?
    Do you think it is a good idea to do both swimming pool straight after recovery run (on day when it is either short easy run or swimming pool)?

Are there any benefits for a runner from swimming sessions? Or it will be better to go gym/HIIT/CrossFit etc?

Cheers.

Howdy OgreSwamp,

Swimming in general will improve your overall cardiovascular system, while also being impact-free recovery. You don't give any indication of your physique, but your time for 25k suggests jogging/keep fit level, in which case the non-impact nature will probably be better for you all round (in that you could probably replace the recovery run altogether with a longer swim).

Swimming sessions are a different matter than swimming recovery, in that you are often going to go anaerobic during swim sessions, with brief recovery in between each set. This is beneficial to complement short/middle distance run training; less so for distance runners. Swim sessions will also increase muscle mass in the upper body, which is generally not desirable for distance runners/joggers. Aerobic swimming is useful for distance runners, but debatable whether its as useful as recovery runs. If you are overweight or prone to (impact stress) injuries, 60 mins constant steady swimming in the pool can be useful in lieu of recovery runs, and will cut down or replace physio bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Thanks a lot.

physique shape is average. Gym for few years in past, rugby for about 2 years, CrossFit 2nd half of 2013. Running since mid 2010 with some breaks. Without trainings I gain fat very quickly. Got injured in 2012 and stopped exercising for 6 month - got 11kg extra (85kg->96kg).

I don't mind gaining muscle (though I probably have quite enough muscle mass already) as I do running for health benefits, not for very high results. Same for swimming.

I think my swimming level is far from going into anaerobic swimming sessions. Last time I tried I was able to swim 3-5 25m pools almost non-stop. But then I need a rest. My technique is very poor, I used to keep head over the water all the time and my first target will be to get correct technique for crawl and breast stroke.

Thanks again for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I think my swimming level is far from going into anaerobic swimming sessions. Last time I tried I was able to swim 3-5 25m pools almost non-stop. But then I need a rest. My technique is very poor, I used to keep head over the water all the time and my first target will be to get correct technique for crawl and breast stroke.

I was very similar to you but then I got swimming classes late last year. I'm far from perfect but I have improved massively and can now do 60 lenghts of a 19m pool reasonably comfortably.

I know you aren't looking to become a great swimmer, just for alternative exercise (similar to my requirement for swimming) but if you are going to do it, you might as well do it somewhat right!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

Did you do a swimming class or 1-to-1 lessons?
    I took swimming class in J&S Fitness in Ballsbridge about 3-4 years ago and it wasn't very useful. Was targeted mo for people who can't swim at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Did you do a swimming class or 1-to-1 lessons?
    I took swimming class in J&S Fitness in Ballsbridge about 3-4 years ago and it wasn't very useful. Was targeted mo for people who can't swim at all...

Swimming classes. I was lucky with the instructors, I found them very good. I think you figured it out yourself but you may have been too advanced. In the classes I did, if you could swim 2 or 3 lengths, you were definitely too advance for beginners level, probably a decent intermediate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement