Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would like a sporty sedan, but not a BMW...

Options
  • 08-03-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

...any suggestions?

It's not something that will happen soon, more likely towards the end of the year; Looking for something 2006-2007ish, 2 liters, preferably petrol.

Of course right now everyone would say "3-Series" and I might be tempted, but they're way too common and in all fairness, while I might appreciate the way they drive, I don't like the looks of them nor their perception as a "status car".

So if there are some maybe more "obscure" sporty sedans out there that I might have overlooked in the past and are worth a look... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yes, sedan is the US term for Saloon, AFAIK.
    In addition to the above two, here's another fairly mainstream one - Lexus IS200.
    The Mazda MPS is a wolf in sheep's clothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

What money?

Impreza?

Lancer?

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Scooby Legacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Yakuza wrote: »
    The Mazda MPS is a wolf in sheep's clothing :)

:D would agree completely

Mondeo ST TDCI? (only 155bhp out of a 2.2 TDCI - bit low)
    The ST220 was a 3.0 petrol (220bhp)

Saab 9-3 2.0T was a bit of a rocket too i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

How about this?

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

Now madly fast, but nice to drive and comfortable too. I wouldnt worry too much about the mileage tbh.

• Advertisement

An appropriately specced Volvo s60 can look the part and the 2.0t goes well enough too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

The Lexus IS is the only real other 'like a 3 series but not a 3 series' option, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    ...any suggestions?

It's not something that will happen soon, more likely towards the end of the year; Looking for something 2006-2007ish, 2 liters, preferably petrol.

Of course right now everyone would say "3-Series" and I might be tempted, but they're way too common and in all fairness, while I might appreciate the way they drive, I don't like the looks of them nor their perception as a "status car".

So if there are some maybe more "obscure" sporty sedans out there that I might have overlooked in the past and are worth a look... :)

A 320i or 520i isnt a sporty car so you arent missing anything at such entry points.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sporty Sedan aye?

how about this one

chrysler-neon-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what about a 5 series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I hope you are joking, listermint? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

unkel wrote: »
    I hope you are joking, listermint? :D

Tis a Sedan aint it ?

Or is it an economy, i just dont get the terminology over there

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How about a Euro R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Amazing that in a country as Americanized as Ireland, the term "sedan" causes havoc :)

Some interesting proposals there; To be honest, my #1 favourite would be the 159 but there are so few for sale in Ireland it's gonna be very difficult to find a nice one; Also, most also seem to be the ultra-basic 1.9JTD or 1.8 TS specs. I'll have to keep my eyes open come October, it's a quite exclusive car and with an aura of elegance that most others lack.

The Swedish ones I like too, especially the Saab 9-3.

Mazda 6, Lexus, Legacy...mmm...maybe...I genuinely didn't think about them!

Octavia, Impreza, Lancer...no thanks; They're good but not what I'm looking for :)

One thing I need to clarify, my definition of "sporty" isn't simply tied to how many horses a car has and how fast it goes, as some seem to have understood.

There are countless cars that can go fast; What I deem the most important is the way the car adapts to the road, how well it reacts to weight transfers, how progressive and neat the handling is, the rigidity of the body and how it transmits all of this to the driver. This is were certain cars (e.g. Alfa Romeos, BMWs) shine, often even with a 1.6L engine; However from past experience, I prefer how the average power of a 2.0 (150-170PS) fits in with the concept of daily driving. Of course a 3.0L is gonna have a lot of grunt but...how often are you really gonna use all of it on normal roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Honda Civic Type R saloon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

There are countless cars that can go fast; What I deem the most important is the way the car adapts to the road, how well it reacts to weight transfers, how progressive and neat the handling is, the rigidity of the body and how it transmits all of this to the driver. This is were certain cars (e.g. Alfa Romeos, BMWs) shine, often even with a 1.6L engine; However from past experience, I prefer how the average power of a 2.0 (150-170PS) fits in with the concept of daily driving. Of course a 3.0L is gonna have a lot of grunt but...how often are you really gonna use all of it on normal roads?
    To be honest, the 159 isn't spectacular in the handling department, might be better than your average d-segment but it's sub-par for an Alfa. The 156 was more enjoyable.
    The Mondeo and Mazda 6 are the best two FWD D-Segment saloons, the Accord is not too far behind, a little more softly set-up with not quite as accurate steering, but more than competent. The Legacy would be ahead of these, it handles very nicely.
    After that, the only other real alternative to a RWD nice handling saloon is the new shape C-Class which came out in mid-07, but they can be pricey.
    As others have suggested, the Accord Euro R or Civic Type R saloon would be excellent, but I suspect if you don't like Evo's or Impreza WRX's then you may not be after a Type R either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

Subaru Legacy 2.0. Great car to drive, also looks really good in MY 07/08. Petrol engines are very reliable. The only thinng to watch out for is the clutch/dmf, otherwise trouble free.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

From memory, not the best handling thing in it's class, and interior is old skool, but looks well, and 180bhp 2.0T

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S60/2.0-T-SE/14913402068854630/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

GavMan wrote: »

I know my man, I know...I could probably kill for a 1750 TBi... :)

As for the handling thing (Tea 1000), I know it well...the 159 is a bit on the heavy side for its own good. It's got a rigid bodywork, but the weight makes itself felt, I'm afraid. I had a 156 1.8 and it turned like a shark, the car was born with the track in mind (the SuperT/Super2000 version won the EuroSTC/ETCC 7 years in a row) and it shows. My dad is currently enjoying that car :D

Don't know, maybe a clean 156 JTS might be an idea (and save a few quids). Interesting discussion everybody, by the way!

• Advertisement

I know my man, I know...I could probably kill for a 1750 TBi... :)

As for the handling thing (Tea 1000), I know it well...the 159 is a bit on the heavy side for its own good. It's got a rigid bodywork, but the weight makes itself felt, I'm afraid. I had a 156 1.8 and it turned like a shark, the car was born with the track in mind (the SuperT/Super2000 version won the EuroSTC/ETCC 7 years in a row) and it shows. My dad is currently enjoying that car :D

Don't know, maybe a clean 156 JTS might be an idea (and save a few quids). Interesting discussion everybody, by the way!
    Yep, interesting discussions are getting rare around here.

I do love these though:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/FD2-TYPE/201245210926649/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Yep, interesting discussions are getting rare around here.

I do love these though:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/FD2-TYPE/201245210926649/advert?channel=CARS

I love them myself but there crazy money for what you get due to the rarity of them, that one has been on Carzone longer than I can remember the seller is just looking for to much for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Saab 9-3 2.0T Aero.

High spec, low mileage and goes quicker than a hot snot.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Saab/9-3/2.0-T-AE/32113579950011700/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Matthewjohn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

Mazda 6 MPS is the most interesting one suggested so far and the quickest, 260bhp + 4WD, not bad on fuel either for the power.

Tuneable and rare as well, plus has the chassis and suspension that is designed for the power.

I like the Saab 9-3 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Rare as hens teeth here but more common in UK

A4 DTM Special Edition - 220 BHP - quattro petrol and looks different enough to most A4s

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/2.0TFSI-/201301211800563/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement
Advertisement