Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Think I got ripped in petrol station...what is the capacity of fuel tank Clio III?

Options
  • 29-08-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey, Filled the Clio III 2006 with 15 liters yesterday and the fuel gage was just a hair under half full. So today, I decided to put another 15 liters in today (complements of a bet i won :D). So in my head that should fill the other half....am I wrong? It only filled the tank to 3/4 full, so Im left wondering is my gage is shaged, or my tank weird or the petrol station ripped me off by 50%! Not sure if I can say what station it is but I think is spelt Mxaol in Bublin 6 ;):p

Any info be mad handys thanks

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

55 L according to Parkers

This might explain what happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

tanks can be odd shapes, petrol-o-meters can be odd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

what was the gauge at to start with yesterday before the initial 15 litres?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

10 Seconds googling revealed that the clio has a 55 litre tank.Have you never filled the car before?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

1059007 wrote: »
    Not sure if I can say what station it is but I think is spelt Mxaol in Bublin 6 ;):p

Any info be mad handys thanks

Cheers
    harolds cross? ive had a few head scratching moments at that place with how many litres ive managed to fit into my tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ya your wrong, 15 litres would not be enough to fill it from half to full. Add to that the fact that the guage may not be evenly calibrted through it's range then I'd say 15 litres bringing it from half to 3/4 full is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    harolds cross? ive had a few head scratching moments at that place with how many litres ive managed to fit into my tank.

Half the taxi drivers in Dublin seem to get their fuel there. I doubt you could pull the wool over their eyes where fuel is concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

to guage = to give a rough estimate

to measure = a different story altogether

they're called fuel guages for a reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 1059007

The gage was sitting just above the red fill line MacGyver...so 30 liters in total went into the task and I wrecking there was around 7 liters in it before hand.....done me maths and seem to work out. Peasant, your dead right a gage is only a crude measure....taking into account I fill it with 15 liters and add another 7 onto that for the second half of the tank I shout get near full.

Yep Chriscl1, thats the one...Iv had many weird fills in there! Well a lot of taxi's fill up in the Emo off james street!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

The gauge showing half full does not mean the tank is half full.

You will usually find that the first indicated "half" of the tank will last longer than the second.

For example, my car will do 350 miles on the first "half" and about 280 on the second "half".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Half the taxi drivers in Dublin seem to get their fuel there. I doubt you could pull the wool over their eyes where fuel is concerned!

I use that garage all the time...... Highly unlikely you got ripped off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Same, and I track all fill-ups so would know if I got (badly) ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Petrol cap could be locking in air, making your tank collapse under normal atmospheric pressure. It happened a number of years ago to a friend of mine with a Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

guage, gage, gauge.. arghhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's either half full or half empty :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

1059007 wrote: »
    The gage was sitting just above the red fill line MacGyver...so 30 liters in total went into the task and I wrecking there was around 7 liters in it before hand.....done me maths and seem to work out. Peasant, your dead right a gage is only a crude measure....taking into account I fill it with 15 liters and add another 7 onto that for the second half of the tank I shout get near full.

Yep Chriscl1, thats the one...Iv had many weird fills in there! Well a lot of taxi's fill up in the Emo off james street!

by the way you didnt put 15 litres in each time for €15 each time. You would have to be getting the fuel at €1 per litre if it was. just a factors as well for your calculations.

Advertisement