Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Fat style TV repair Dublin?

Options
  • 12-04-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I have a 32" Old style(fat back) Sharp Tv.The colour is distorted.In the centre it has a green circle,then a red circle and a blue circle on the outside.Is there anyone in Dublin that repairs these old TV's? Would it be worth repairing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Any tv repair shops I know are closed. Plus all the factories that made tube tv parts are long gone. Personally I wont bother repairing considering you can pick up a second hand fat back tv for next to nothing or even free. Try Donedeal or adverts.ie for a cheap one.

A new LCD tv is pretty cheap and energy efficent if you are shocked by their high cost

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

hfallada wrote: »
    Any tv repair shops I know are closed. Plus all the factories that made tube tv parts are long gone. Personally I wont bother repairing considering you can pick up a second hand fat back tv for next to nothing or even free. Try Donedeal or adverts.ie for a cheap one.

A new LCD tv is pretty cheap and energy efficent if you are shocked by their high cost
    I actually had a Sony LCD TV and the picture quality compared to the old style TV was terrible.I want to get the TV repaired because the picture quality is vastly superior to any new television.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

todolist wrote: »
    I actually had a Sony LCD TV and the picture quality compared to the old style TV was terrible.I want to get the TV repaired because the picture quality is vastly superior to any new television.

SD on an SD low res tv will look better than it being stretched to bigger resolutions on a HDTV.

SD on an SD low res tv will look better than it being stretched to bigger resolutions on a HDTV.
    Tried everything on the LCD TV for a better picture but i gave up and put the Old TV back because it was so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

Must have been an old LCD TV , circa 2006 or so , Sony were pretty bad at them for the first few years .... they were late to the party.

CRT's ( Fat Backs ) are dead , they are obsolete and theres nothing you can do about that , no one is going to repair one because of lack of parts and the high cost if you do manage to find a part.
    Those things are extremely dangerous to work on , and to repair one these days the guy doing the job would have to work at way less than minimum wage to bring the job in cheaper than a new flatscreen !

Almost all flat screens these days wipe the floor with anything a CRT could do back in the day.

As said previously , if you must have a CRT , look in the ads , most ads are giving them away because they are worth nothing ..... I gave away a Panasonic Quintrix because it was taking up room .... if someone hadnt taken it , it would have gone into a skip !

• Advertisement

andy1249 wrote: »
    Must have been an old LCD TV , circa 2006 or so , Sony were pretty bad at them for the first few years .... they were late to the party.

CRT's ( Fat Backs ) are dead , they are obsolete and theres nothing you can do about that , no one is going to repair one because of lack of parts and the high cost if you do manage to find a part.
    Those things are extremely dangerous to work on , and to repair one these days the guy doing the job would have to work at way less than minimum wage to bring the job in cheaper than a new flatscreen !

Almost all flat screens these days wipe the floor with anything a CRT could do back in the day.

As said previously , if you must have a CRT , look in the ads , most ads are giving them away because they are worth nothing ..... I gave away a Panasonic Quintrix because it was taking up room .... if someone hadnt taken it , it would have gone into a skip !
    The Sony i had was a Bravia from 2011.It had terrible motion blur.Compared to the old sharp tv it was awful.I talked to an old guy who fixes modern TV's and he said they're mostly rubbish compared to the old TV's.

Anyone know if it's possible to buy a new CRT Television? I know this is a long shot but worth the try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

I talked to an old guy who fixes modern TV's and he said they're mostly rubbish compared to the old TV's.

Yes , I know an old guy , a farmer , in his 90's , he much preferred working with horses to all these new crappy tractors ....still , progress marches on.

I doubt I know anyone who is more picky about picture quality than me , I have a flatscreen that I have calibrated to Rec 709 every year , the slightest fault and I will change the screen .... and no way on earth would I ever go back to a CRT and all their inherent faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

todolist wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to buy a new CRT Television? I know this is a long shot but worth the try!

Smart answers aside from others here you are right that a standard non HD image will look better on a CRT TV than an LCD tv, try as they may a 1:1 pixel mapping is better than a 4:1 with hardware in the backend trying to make up the rest, never mind that CRTs photon gun is faster than any LED.

That said you won't be able to buy one new but you will be able to get one off adverts for Free. I just gave away a 32" tv two weeks ago and they come up often. Repair is a no go but you will get one for free or very little money.

The problem with my TV is something to do with the magnetic field.I seen a couple of videos on youtube where people has the same problem as me.I need to get a degaussing wand or coil to solve the problem.I've searched for either of those items on the net without success.If anyone could tell me where i could get one I'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have you tried Campbell TV in Kimmage? I was in there about 18 months ago and there were a couple of CRT TVs there. I don't know if they were in for repair or not. Campbell TV have been there for a long time so maybe they can degauss it for you?

Give them a call and see what they have to say. 01 4922 865. You've nothing to lose by making the call.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Have you tried Campbell TV in Kimmage? I was in there about 18 months ago and there were a couple of CRT TVs there. I don't know if they were in for repair or not. Campbell TV have been there for a long time so maybe they can degauss it for you?

Give them a call and see what they have to say. 01 4922 865. You've nothing to lose by making the call.
    I gave them a call.Talked to a guy named Ray.He said they don't deal in or repair old CRT TV's.He also said degaussing a TV could take a few hours.Looks like a lost cause at this stage.Thanks for the phone number.Much appreciated.

Advertisement