Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What times you got for Mo and Bekele?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

This is a pretty remarkable run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Is there long left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Commentators seem to have very little information about splits or projections. Just relying on how he looks between each 5K split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Commentators seem to have very little information about splits or projections. Just relying on how he looks between each 5K split.

Yeah the commentary is shocking but I've come to expect that from Eurosport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

This is an absolutely astonishing run. He looks brilliant. Mile and a half to go, and holding his speed by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

They really haven't had much information at all other than what we are seeing ourselves on the tv. It's a bit like the old off the tv commentary on football matches the pirate stations used to do.

Looking like possibly just over 2:05 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

It's like a mini Tour de France with the crowd. Can't believe it's less than 1k to finish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cars and lorries and bikes all over the road in the last miles of a marathon like this is very weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

2:05:02.. Astonishing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They really need to sort out the organisation on Paris if it's not obvious to the finishers where the end of the race is.

Agreed Robin. Even back in 08, I stopped and walked with 20 metres to go, thought that was the line

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Agreed Robin. Even back in 08, I stopped and walked with 20 metres to go, thought that was the line

Pretty mental. Must be really off putting people getting so close as well.

Fantastic run though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The security situation is an accident waiting to happen. To see the crowd jump out alongside Bekele over the last 5k is a bit unnerving. It only takes one Fr Horan to ruin a race. Also the amount of people running and cycling behind him with less than 1km to go; it looked like the Rocky movie.

Great perforrmance by Bekele. I guess he kicked on early because the paces was dropping badly?? Halways in 1:02 and the rest of the field finished at 2:07 and worse. He obviously found it very tough all the same. When he got his drink with 15km to go he drained the whole thing. In his interview he has just admitted to cramping up over the last 40 minutes of the race as well and looked totally shattered, he really did well to hold onto the pace. It will be a great experience for him and hopefully will be stronger for his next one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I think they should have had the couple of motor bikes protecting him through the Park. France is a truer Republic than Ireland: the citizens have more power and don't tolerate their public roads and parks being closed for big corporate events, bar the tour the France. I admire them for that but it means Paris will never be a major in all likelihood. They do need a change of organiser though, far too many small mishaps in that race. Even when the spilts came not having a predicted finish time based on average pace is a fairly basic omission.

Great run by Bekele, you've only 200m to go when you turn onto avenue Foche and he obviously could have gone a couple of seconds under 2:05 if he had reacted to the finish line quicker. No 800m/400m markers obviously.

I thought at the time he went a little early, I would have thought he would have waited until after the tunnels but he toughed it out well. That was humid there and getting the course record in not ideal conditions was a great indication of potential. Cant wait to see him slugging out with the other best marathoners in the world in an Autumn major, touch wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

T runner wrote: »
    I think they should have had the couple of motor bikes protecting him through the Park. France is a truer Republic than Ireland: the citizens have more power and don't tolerate their public roads and parks being closed for big corporate events, bar the tour the France. I admire them for that but it measn Paris will vener be a major in all likelihood. They do need a change of organiser though, far too many small mishaps in that race. Even when the spilts came not having a predicted finish time based on average pace is a fairly basic omission.

Great run by Bekele, you've only 200m to go when you turn onto avenue Foche and he obviously could have gone a couple of seconds under 2:05 if he had reacted to the finish line quicker. No 800m/400m markers obviously.

I thought at the time he went a little early, I would have thought he would have waited until after the tunnels but he toughed it out well. That was humid there and getting the course record in not ideal conditions was a great indication ofvpotential. Cant wait to see him slugging out with the other best marathoners in the world in an Autumn major, touch wood.marathoners in the world

There were bikes for the 1st lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I reckon we'll see him in Berlin next.

What a beast! Bekele is back :D

An interesting here article on lets run about 'Five Reasons Why Mo Isn’t Winning The 2014 Virgin London Marathon'. Some interesting points which makes you think is it the best option for him. Mutai and Kiprotich don't seem to think so. Link here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement